Potential media excuses Texans beats Colts week 1

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HTown2ATX, Aug 30, 2010.

?

What will media headline be if Texans win week 1?

1. Super Bowl hangover kills Colts.

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Colts have let down to open year.

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Texans with a lucky win.

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. What's wrong with the Colts?

32 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

You know, I was thinking the other day about the week 1 matchup against the Colts and how awesome it would be to win that game.

That train of throught then brought me to ESPN (as I was watching it at lunch at the time while thinking of this) and how they would spin the game.

I can alomst guarantee the headline will be how the Colts lost as opposed to how the Texans won the game. I know that a lot of other Houston fans notice the diss our city always gets.....even when we win Championships ala SI saying eff you to the Rockets championships and not putting them on the cover nationally. Also, I know other people have had to notice that when ESPN shows almost any kind of football highlights, even just background highlights of some team while the focus is actually the people on set talking, it always seems to be a clip of the Texans getting burned.

Hell, I even saw some commercial for football Red Zone or something the yesterday it was showing different fans on couches cheering and stuff, I swear they had to have run through every team jersy that fans were wearing accept guess who......that's right (maybe the browns too). Ridiculous, and I'm not even trying to notice this stuff, but I do.

So anyway, I couldn't quite come up with what the media will use that will actually sound valid, especially if the Texans just dominate. Then it occured to me!

Headline: Super Bowl hangover causes Colts to lose opener.

So the dreaded Super Bowl loser curse will explain away this game and probably others for them this year too.

Just wanted to throw that out there and see what other headlines you guys think ESPN could use to again write the Texans off....this could be interesting....

:kitten:

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I would also add that the league rule change of waiting for the refs to give a signal to hike has thrown Peyton off his rythm.

3. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Theres actually someone wearing the #90 in that reel =P

4. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

This season, I don't think media excuses really matter. The true question
    is:

Will the Texans bring consistent effort EVERY game?

or

Will we continue to see the "Fired-Up-One-Game / Sleepwalking-The-Next"
    team we're used to.

If they do the former, they have a shot at the playoffs, or even the
    AFC Championship Game.

If they do the latter, with this schedule, Kubiak is gone.

I'm watching the first four games closely. Those games will show us
    which Texans team we get in 2010.

5. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Ya, did ya see the foxsports story on the ass whooping the Texans gave the cowpies? Nothing bout the Texans, just how poorly the cowpies played and how their starters may have to play the last preseason. BS.

6. HTown2ATX

I haven't had a chance to listen to Houston radio today online, and I know I won't get anything on the local Austin radio aside from Longhorn gargling and and Dallas apologizers, and I haven't caught too much ESPN yet today.....I'm guessing when talking about Saturdays game it's "What's wrong with Cowboys?" as opposed to "Will this play carry over for the Texans to break through?"

Just a wild, wild guess it's more apologizing for Dall-ass than praising Houston.:cow:

7. HTown2ATX

Didn't see that article or your post until I just posted my post...but that is what I thought....lmao!!!

8. HTown2ATX

Agreed!

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The Colts didn't gameplan for the Texans.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

When we beat the Colts Sept 12th, I think the media is going to say, "about time!!"

We aren't the only ones waiting for the Texans to turn the corner, everyone knows we've had talent to be winners the last 2 years, and are disappointed it hasn't happened yet.

I think the big stories this year, will be abou the Texans growing up, and finally reaching the level Capers should have got us to.

It's probably going to make most of you sick, but the word is going to be we are finally not an expansion team anymore.

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

How about: Peyton struggles with new line of scrimmage rules :lol:

12. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
  13. HTown2ATX

So, I go home and eat lunch and watch ESPN and they do something I hadn't seen before called the "Rush" or something with Antonio Pierce and some ESPN female anchor. They start off with best performances from the weekend, Saints are on there, Spiller from BUF is on there and Favre, then they bring up the Texans (which I was shocked they even put us on there knowing them), but they quickly made up for having to be forced to play positive Texans highlights as the first words out of the female anchors mouth are something to the effect of how bad Dallas played and how they are banged up. They then make some basic remarks on the Texans play and ended the highlight, again, with a backhanded comment explaining why the Texans looked good was due to the Cowboys looking bad.

They then did a little segment called "Ready or Not" analyizing teams and whether or not they are ready for the season, they brought up the Cowboys and made sure to once again apologize for them and their loss to the Texans.

Man, I am so hoping we can shove it way, way, way, way up their collective ***** this season!!!!!

:texflag::kitten:

14. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

As long as we get a W I don't give a crap how it's spun.

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Was going to say the exact same thing!:handshake:

16. HTown2ATX

That is the most important thing obviously. But it still grates on me the spinning.

:fans:

17. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

This

18. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

I just saw this tweet from Eric Winston on Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback:

"Every ump I have talked to this offseason hates the new rule where they have them. All of them felt the way fb players do. Injuries are part''

"Of the position they ref at. One also told me that the comp comm changed the rule without consulting one ump. (Although I'm sure Perrera''

"Had a say) loved what Tirico said. Put a helmet on them if they are concerned. Don't change the way the game is played. Altho if it pisses''

"Manning off, I could learn to deal with it. LOL''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/29/mmqb/3.html#ixzz0y78b1azR

:doot:

19. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't want to think about potential Colts excuses because (1) I don't care what they would say (2) we need to actually beat them first (3) Texans have had their fair share of excuses over the past years.

Excuses are like holitosis'...Some people have it and it's beyond their control..But it still stinks.

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Gotta love Eric!