Potential FA's for Texans LT position

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansSB07, Jan 15, 2007.

1. TexansSB07

TexansSB07 Veteran

Bedell, Brad UFA Texans
    Black, Jordan UFA Chiefs
    Britt, Wesley ERFA Patriots
    Davis, Leonard UFA Cardinals
    Fordham, Todd UFA Panthers
    McIntosh, Damion UFA Dolphins
    Molinaro, Jim ERFA Redskins
    Saipaia, Blaine RFA Lions
    Salaam, Ephraim UFA Texans
    Sampson, Kevin RFA Chiefs
    Slaughter, Chad UFA Raiders
    Thomas, William UFA Eagles

Most of these guys are UFAs, a few might cost draft picks but ALL are LT's

2. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

Leonard Davis is the only franchise left tackle I see on that list, and I don't think he fits our scheme too well, however he could do a lot better than anyone else we have now (unless Spencer is healthy).

3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Yeah. Tra Thomas is far from a franchise LT. He only made 2 Pro-Bowls.

4. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

Oh my bad... didn't see him on that list. I would love to have him come in here.

5. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

IMO, the term "franchise LT" is an overused term. In reality, there are only a few "franchise" LTs. To me, a franchise LT is one that is a mainstay for years and in which you don't need to upgrade. The best at their position.

These would include:
    J. Ogden w/ the Ravens, W. Jones w/ Seattle, Orlando Pace was in the past, B. McKinnie w/ Vikings, J. Tait w/ Chicago.

The list of people on the cusp (player is on the rise or someone that I wouldn't argue if you felt they are "franchise LT" worthy) are:
    F. Adams w/ Cowboys, T. Glenn w/ Colts, M. Light w/ Patriots, J. Brown w/ Saints, D. Ferguson w/ Jets (too early to call), and M. McNeill w/ Chargers.

There may be a few others, but these are the ones that come to mind. The list is very short and these players are too valuable to let go...that is why you will never find a franchise LT in FA...unless he is nearing the end of his career or battling serious injuries that may force retirement(i.e. the name that is to never be spoken on this board, but his first name starts w/ "T" and last name starts w/ "B":hides:)

6. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

We should take a looke at this guy Ephraim Salaam. I hear great things about him.

7. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

what about Victor Riley?

i dont think a franchise LT is what we need. many folks couldnt name the LT for the Broncos but it is usually one of better regarded OL's in the league.

8. Toro

Toro Veteran

Ideally, I'd like to see Houston go after Max Starks, but Pittsburgh's probably going to put the high tender on him. Of that list supplied, I like Black the best of the bunch. I like Davis, but his on field problems are 90 percent mental.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Leonard Davis is being let loose for a reason. The Cards do not consider him worth keeping. If William (Tra) Thomas is really an unrestricted free agent, I can see the Eagles re-signing him or slapping the franchise tag on him like the Seahawks did to Walter Jones for two years in a row. He's the best tackle on that list, despite his age (he's 32).

10. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

William (Tra) Thomas and Leonard Davis are the best players on that list and the only ones that are good enough for most teams to go after, however I don't think either is a partiularly good fit for our system. Davis is huge and a decent athlete for his size, but he's far from being ideal in a zone blocking scheme and shouldn't be a LT anyways. Thomas is a little more athletic but he's still bigger and not as athletic as your ideal OT in this system, not to mention he's 32 years old already. I don't see either being valuable enough to the Texans for them to put up the kind of money that it would likely take to bring either of them here. Is that unfortunate? Yes, because we could really use more talent on the OLine, but our particular blocking scheme can be pretty tricky to find good fits for, and they generally aren't the guys that are traditionally the "best" linemen out there. Assuming Spencer is healthy I think our OTs are fine other than we need to improve the quality of our depth so Ephraim Salaam isn't having to play significant time when someone gets injured, and as much as I"d like to add a veteran along the line I don't know if any particularly good fits will be available in free agency and I think we could find a good depth kind of guy in the later rounds of this draft. I'd like to see us bring in one interior OLineman that can challenge for a starting spot and relocate McKinney and Flanagan to the bench/team leader role since neither played particularly well this year, but it remains to be seen whether one will hit the free agent market or if we'll use a 1st day pick on an interior lineman (Ben Grubbs and Josh Beekman could both likely start for us for most of the 2007 season, unfortunately both will likely require using a 2nd round pick to acquire).

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The best FA option for us would clearly be Eric Steinbach. He could play LT well, play either guard position, center, or even RT. Considering the uncertainty regarding Spencer and the lack of a true top-level LT out there, he would be the best fit.

12. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i would also throw in levi jones who is way better than mckinnie who is not a franchise lt imo...

13. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

What happened to Spencer? Seems like it was only five months ago everybody was singing his praises as the next best thing. Are we assuming his injury is career-ending, or are we calling him a bust?

14. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I wouldnt say career ending or bust. Were just not certain he will ever be the same player he was before his injury.

15. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

From what I heard its a bone injury, and the only thing you have to worry about is getting strength back in your muscles after the casts come off.

16. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

The only one on this list the Texans should look at signing is Salaam, and that's as a backup. The rest, if they're any good, will be resigned by their teams. Teams don't let good LT's go in FA. If a LT is out there on the market, and his previous team doesn't want to resign him, then there is something wrong with him (age, injury, no good, etc...). JMHO!

17. Big78

Big78 Veteran

if the bone doesnt heal correctly then he will not be as agile or be able to put at much strain on it, i think.

18. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I've heard the bone part of his injury has healed completely, but in the process of his bone snapping it also tore up the cartilage in his knee some as well, and cartilage is something that doesn't really heal at all. At this point they don't really know how bad that cartilage is, if it is torn up pretty badly then his knee could be like Domanick's where it is extremely painful to move on and could hinder his ability to move as well. If his cartilage ends up not being very bad then he should be able to recover to full health, we will just have to wait another month or maybe two to find out for sure how his knee will be, but the bone injury itself has healed. It also sounds like he is doing everything possible to get himself back on the field.

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

isn't this what we did in the big Bosselli move ? And why can the Eagles afford to do this Einstien ? Max Jeen Jiles, Sean Andrews, and Winston Justice...All High picks. Some day you guys are going to get it.

Tra Thomas 6'-7", 349,
    years pro 9 , Florida St.

20. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Nooooo, if the bone...top of the tibia....doesn't heal coerrectly...he's done.