Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post-game frustration thread

Bernard Pollard sure became the next Roy Williams in a hurry. I'll probably always have a soft spot for the guy for all his big hits but there's no way we can bring him back next season. What a gimme pick he had on that first drive, it was Dunta all over again. I'll take a guy that is completely average in coverage and a zero in run-support over either of our current safeties.

And Jacoby Jones, what a total spaz. The nearer the ball gets to his hands the more of a spaz he becomes. Yeah he has talent but I can't stand him as a WR anymore and he hasn't done squat on returns for as long as I can remember.

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
I'll have to admit it, tears ran down my face. I didn't get mad, I just hid my face under the covers and bawled!! I simply DO NOT know what to think, or do!! GOD above, it's so painful being a TEXAN fan!! No way in hell to describe my emotions right now, NO freaking way!!

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
They cut to the Browns / Jets game - where the Browns are hanging tough.

We see Rob Ryan talking with his brother.....

They cut back to studio to see Cowher discussing the games.

It's a SIGN I tell you.
God i hope so

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Wow. I really have to say that I've believed that we could pull it out despite the odds this season. I can't imagine that our porous defense is going to get us to win the next 6 of 7.

I still don't think that the coach should be fired in the middle of the season, but I think a change needs to be made at the end of the season.
In 2005 when the offense was epic bad the Texans fired Chris Palmer after a couple of games. It wasn't the right move because he wasn't the problem but I guess he was complicit in the great David Carr cover up. He helped them hide the fact that Carr was an entirely incompetent NFL QB for 3 years. In that case I think they fired a coach in-season and accomplished nothing. In this case I think it would be deserved and might get some peoples attention. The defense is miserable, historically bad in fact.

Still, I'd fire Bush today. I'd fire him right this second. I'd fire Gibbs too because the secondary has been appalling and it was one of his boys who literally handed the game to the Jaguars today. Plus they can't cover anybody ever. It's not just that the opposing QB is throwing the ball quickly. Sometimes I see Quin and Jackson running around and I'm like "Where in the hell is he going?" I see them release guys who go on to catch passes for first downs over and over again. Whatever they're teaching them it isn't working.

Fire Bush, fire Gibbs. See if Ray Rhodes feels like working for 7 weeks. If he thinks it will kill him then obviously that's a no-go but tell him "Hey, just do your best and don't lose any sleep over it. We're pulling the plug on this **** as soon as the season is over anyway" and let him call the defense for the rest of the year.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Using it as an example of stupid play calling. Why were we throwing to the middle of the field with seconds left and no timeouts?
They probably used coverage schemes that had both sides covered really well. The Cover 2 tends to do that, especially in a prevent D, I would imagine. We took what we could.

The real problem in this game is that you have a top 6 offense and you score 3 freaking points in the first half. That's part of why the D got worn down and run over late in the first half. It's really just plain lack of desire on the part of a very talented offense that is just not motivated to score early and often.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
Post game excuses from Twitter:

"You either knock it down or catch it. If you’re not in any distress, just catch it." - Kubiak on defending last-second TD by Jags
"We go through that every week. Every Thur. we run that play at the end of practice…There's no excuse for that to happen"-Kubiak on final TD
I think the next one is the title of a Prince song....

"U r coached to knock the ball down if ur in a distressful situation..I don’t have the words 2 describe how that felt"-Kubiak on final TD
"Everyone is as down as you can be…You have to be a man. And you have to come back and play."-Kubiak on Texans' locker room after loss
Surprised none of them say "it's on me" in any way.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Why would defensive backs be taught to go for the interception with 0 seconds left? I'm quite sure they're supposed to bat it down into the ground to prevent any missed interception tip ball shenanigans.

It was right in his hands. I mean, the thing was "right there". Why not catch it? For that matter if you're going to bat it down how about batting it down?

He batted it in front of him. I mean, if he'd been playing volleyball I could understand but dude, just catch it, add a pick to your stats and to overtime we go.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame

So then, I guess they're not "excuses" as you put it. Sounds like owning up to just how insane and ridiculous, yet typical that sequence was.

Wolf

100% Texan
Cowher ... just said .. if you have a chance to catch it, you catch it.. they have a trailer just for the bat down ball
when it is the last play

fiasco west

All Pro

Excuses.

That game should have never came to that. How about this Kubiak? How do you score 3 points in the first half on what is probably the worst defense in the NFL?

Still, I'd fire Bush today. I'd fire him right this second. I'd fire Gibbs too because the secondary has been appalling and it was one of his boys who literally handed the game to the Jaguars today. Plus they can't cover anybody ever. It's not just that the opposing QB is throwing the ball quickly. Sometimes I see Quin and Jackson running around and I'm like "Where in the hell is he going?" I see them release guys who go on to catch passes for first downs over and over again. Whatever they're teaching them it isn't working.
I saw Kareem Jackson put a nice pick on Cushing on a play were he got turned around like a top. Hes like George Costanza right now, all of his instincts are wrong. Hes a whirling dervish of ineptitude. And Glover, I defended him last week but **** em. **** em all.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I thought he covered that under "you have to be a man". It's implied. It's on him because he's "a man" about this sort of thing. I can't wait to see him being a man about being unemployed.

GNTLEWOLF

Rookie
I saw Kareem Jackson put a nice pick on Cushing on a play were he got turned around like a top. Hes like George Costanza right now, all of his instincts are wrong. Hes a whirling dervish of ineptitude. And Glover, I defended him last week but **** em. **** em all.
......and Karem Jackson falls down...

Hervoyel

BUENO!
It does not get any easier next Sunday.
Actually gary I disagree. I find it easier to deal with as the season goes along. My misplaced hopes and expectations from earlier in the year no longer cloud my view of what I'm looking at.

This wasn't nearly as hard to watch as the San Diego game and prior to that the Colts game.

Two, three more weeks tops and I won't give a flying fart what these clowns do over the stretch. More beer time.

gary

Hall of Fame
Actually gary I disagree. I find it easier to deal with as the season goes along. My misplaced hopes and expectations from earlier in the year no longer cloud my view of what I'm looking at.

This wasn't nearly as hard to watch as the San Diego game and prior to that the Colts game.

Two, three more weeks tops and I won't give a flying fart what these clowns do over the stretch. More beer time.
Not for us but for the team.

fiasco west

All Pro
Uh, you mean besides us, right?
Of course besides us, that's a given. I would have liked to thought that one of the worst defenses, who just happened to lose a key player before this game...would actually show it.

But the Texans do the same thing every week, come out and spot the other team 14 points at least and attempt their comeback.

Our defense is just laughably bad. I'm not sure are we playing zone? I see receivers just running right past guys seemingly on every play.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
My misplaced hopes and expectations from earlier in the year no longer cloud my view of what I'm looking at.
Herv, this is not over. The Texans could still go on a 7 game win streak. The players love Kubes and want to play for him. Just think about all of the good things we've seen from this team the past 3 weeks. They're getting better.

TexSon

Veteran
Of course besides us, that's a given. I would have liked to thought that one of the worst defenses, who just happened to lose a key player before this game...would actually show it.

But the Texans do the same thing every week, come out and spot the other team 14 points at least and attempt their comeback.

Our defense is just laughably bad. I'm not sure are we playing zone? I see receivers just running right past guys seemingly on every play.
Yeah the defense is just terribly historically bad, but the offense is only good for about a quarter and a half of every game. They are a problem too.

fiasco west

All Pro
Yeah the defense is just terribly historically bad, but the offense is only good for about a quarter and a half of every game. They are a problem too.
Which is hard to believe considering the talent on that side of the ball. I don't understand how they just 'turn it on' it's not like the defense suddenly plays prevent. It usually happens in the 3rd qtr.

The horrible defense, and terrible 1st half starts have killed us. Also I think today the defense actually started well. I'd like to see how our defense would play with a solid lead behind them. They may actually look decent.

TexanExile

A New Hope
I wonder how long it takes to purchase a gun in Texas. Would they make me wait longer if I had a Texans shirt on? :thinking:
Only if you bought a shotgun. They'd be afraid it would fly over your head at a key moment.

Unless you were wearing a #90 jersey. Then they'd figure you wouldn't even show up for the purchase.

MojoX

Waterboy
I believe it was Eli Manning who said the Texans defense is "not sound." Seyi Ajirotutu said last week his team noticed the DBs "look inside" too much. These DBs may have the talent and instincts but are just too poorly coached.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Herv, this is not over. The Texans could still go on a 7 game win streak. The players love Kubes and want to play for him. Just think about all of the good things we've seen from this team the past 3 weeks. They're getting better.
Thunderkyss I don't know how you got Lucky's login credentials but I'm reporting you to the mods for this.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
I've gone from wishing for a playoff season to wishing for a coaching change. Kubiak has burnt the ships, the progression I was hoping for in terms of 'coach-ability' is lost, it's over, I have no faith in his abality to even grasp the obvious. He's over his head, good O-cor, lost as a HC. That 'time management' before halftime settled it, he has no clue.

Enter soap... :(

Texas T

Veteran
I've gone from wishing for a playoff season to wishing for a coaching change. Kubiak has burnt the ships, the progression I was hoping for in terms of 'coach-ability' is lost, it's over, I have no faith in his abality to even grasp the obvious. He's over his head, good O-cor, lost as a HC. That 'time management' before halftime settled it, he has no clue.

Enter soap... :(
I with you..now...I've always thought Kubs could do it with enough time but I no longer think he has what it takes to go anywhere.

This team just doesn't have the aggression they need. I really felt like the team didn't care or want to win in the whole first half.

I'm betting Kubs told them that if they didn't at least try in the second half that he would be fired tomorrow-that got them going. I'm beginning to wonder if the players are scared to have a coach who holds them accountable...

PapaL

Loose Screw
Even expansion teams don't lose like this.

Finding new ways to lose since 2002.
Relevant in 2001...expansion draft!

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
So then, I guess they're not "excuses" as you put it. Sounds like owning up to just how insane and ridiculous, yet typical that sequence was.
If you say so.

He was saying "it's on me" last year. Now he's saying "it's not on me. It's on him."

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
If you say so.

He was saying "it's on me" last year. Now he's saying "it's not on me. It's on him."
What do you want him to say? You DO realize that coaches and players' media interactions are ust the practice of spouting one cliche after another, right? It's been like this for as long as sports media has been around. What do you expect? Seriously. What do you expect?! What could he possibly say otherwise? Even if he said "Man, I'm a f'n moron, and I suck at coaching.", isn't that the same as "It's on me"?

WHAT WILL MAKE IT RIGHT FOR YOU.

PapaL

Loose Screw
They played to win the game.
We didn't.

They were who we thought they were.
A great passing team?!?

We'll go back and look at the film.
Like that's helped thus far?!?

fiasco west

All Pro
Also what was up with the 30+ seconds left with 3 timeouts in the 2nd qtr?

We don't even try to get a FG? That was odd for me.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
They played to win the game.
We didn't.

They were who we thought they were.
A great passing team?!?

We'll go back and look at the film.
Like that's helped thus far?!?
Really Kubiak should stop the screening of The Teletubbies :(

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Also what was up with the 30+ seconds left with 3 timeouts in the 2nd qtr?

We don't even try to get a FG? That was odd for me.
Knowing us, that would be time for Schaub's Shitty-Throw-Of-The-Game (tm). We were backed up pretty nice. He'd probably throw a pick, set them up nicely, and they'd get the FG.

I'm ok with that course of action in that situation today, and I'm usually all about trying for it.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
What do you want him to say? You DO realize that coaches and players' media interactions are ust the practice of spouting one cliche after another, right? It's been like this for as long as sports media has been around. What do you expect? Seriously. What do you expect?! What could he possibly say otherwise? Even if he said "Man, I'm a f'n moron, and I suck at coaching.", isn't that the same as "It's on me"?

WHAT WILL MAKE IT RIGHT FOR YOU.
I said he was making excuses. You said he wasn't. Then I interpreted the quotes as to why I call them excuses.

What does this post have to do with that?

Sounds like you have excuses too.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I said he was making excuses. You said he wasn't. Then I interpreted the quotes as to why I call them excuses.

What does this post have to do with that?

Sounds like you have excuses too.
Not really. I'm just annoyed because of COURSE he's going to say the same type of **** every time there's a mic in front of his face. We, as fans, shouldn't expect anything more. Anything is an excuse when you break it down to its simplest form. He's not going to go killing everybody to make them accountable. This isn't 1950s Russia.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I know. Russia went undefeated during the '50s.
Surely that was Kubiak's fault, even though he was still floating around in his Dad's reserves during the 1950s. He was born in 1961, amazing how an infant can be the cause of the Bay of Pigs failure!

opiedopie

Has Been
I think the philosophy of only drafting or signing high character players has failed. Plus it seems god is against us now.