Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post Draft 53 Man Roster Projection

I was speaking of Mathew Lengel, who was specifically brought in for his blocking ability. I shouldn't have responded to your original post..............it was more to Obsiwan's suggestion that we didn't need a FB, just a blg blocking TE. Sorry for causing the confussion.
Quick correction:
it was steelb who said he'd rather have a blocking TE than keep a FB
I agree with you, this is how I think BOB thinks.

I disagree with his thought process, not that what I think matters.

A blocking TE is more valuable than Prosch. IMHO

You could put a DT as a short ydge fullback like the Pats used to do.

I'm all for keeping Prosch (unless we can upgrade :D)

Has anyone else seen enough of Baxton Miller and Tyler Ervin?

Athletically the fit the role, but they just can't make it happen on the field with any sort of consistency. I'm usually the guy that errs on the side of caution with letting guys get their reps and see if they can develop but I think they've had their time. It's a red flag for me when they are in there with the 2nd and 3rd teamers and can't make plays. I think we got other guys on the roster that will develop if we give them Ervin and Miller's reps.

Am I overreacting?

Athletically the fit the role, but they just can't make it happen on the field with any sort of consistency. I'm usually the guy that errs on the side of caution with letting guys get their reps and see if they can develop but I think they've had their time. It's a red flag for me when they are in there with the 2nd and 3rd teamers and can't make plays. I think we got other guys on the roster that will develop if we give them Ervin and Miller's reps.

Am I overreacting?
get rid of both. they both suck. ervin is a fat little guy who isnt explosive at all.

I've never seen the hype around Ervin..He damn near singlehandely lost us the Pats game his rookie year & he hasn't flashed enough in ST for me to think that he's worth a roster spot or anything special. I'd go ahead and give Pope his spot.

As far as Braxton Miller, I think he's just about a lock to make the roster as the 4th- 5th guy b/c Coutee hasn't been healthy....& he's a rookie. Hard to see BoB trusting him as a major player at the WR position going into the season. Dude could very well end up on IR for the 1st 6 weeks of the season. Coates is getting an awful lot of burn in the preseason & it leads me to believe they like what they're getting from him so I can see him nudging Chris Thompson out for that 6th spot.

I liked Ervin coming out of College. He wasn't my choice for a pick in that slot, but I liked what I saw from him on film.

He's been a total disappointment. Its time to cut bait.

I think Braxton is a different story though for a few reasons. I think he's looked good enough to be a reserve WR on this team. Coutee has been hurt and I'm not even sure if he's going to be ready anytime soon. So even if you carry 6, you might actually only have 5 available.

Surprised to see Rankin released from PUP; that should put some competition of significant note on Oline. I'd like to see Lamm and Roderick Johnson cut and snaps go to remaining Ts. There was some talk before draft that Rankin could start soon at either of tackle spots or also OG.

Last edited:

Am I overreacting?

I agree with you on Ervin. I've seen enough. It's time to cut the cord. Roster spots are too precious.

Miller; I'm conflicted. That dude has serious explosion when he decides to go. But he seems to struggle with catching the ball and running routes. He also has the experience, and that's no small thing. We have a lot of talent and potential now at WR, but not a lot of experience.

I really like Ellington and Vincent Smith, too. Coates has rare speed/size combo. Coutee has tons of potential.

Final WR group is going to be really interesting.

Glad they kept Blackson, Watkins, Heath and Dunn and didn't let one of them go. That's a really solid front with Reader and Covington in the mix.

As am I! The DL is stout. I expect the Texans to have the BEST run defense in football this season. And they need to considering the Jags and Titans are in the division.

I think they should have kept Fuller over Lamb on the offensive line and they should have kept Webb as QB instead of Ervin. That's just my opinion though.

I dislike having Lamm as well. I think the org is content having Mancz backing up all interior spots with Rankin able to kick inside if needed.

Hopefully they add a RB on waivers. Not excited about the RB room to start the year.

Surprised at Kyle Fuller not making team and interesting that CB Jermaine Kelly made roster; like him but expected PS.

If they aren't going to carry a FB they jolly well better have a TE they can line up there. They need 3 QB's, with as much turnover there is at that position and an injury-prone starter. Webb was a keeper.

To make room there was no need to keep Lamm, Blackston, or Kelly.

If they aren't going to carry a FB they jolly well better have a TE they can line up there. They need 3 QB's, with as much turnover there is at that position and an injury-prone starter. Webb was a keeper.

To make room there was no need to keep Lamm, Blackston, or Kelly.
I'm good losing a FB that on field only 30% of plays 2017; our offense apparently not set up for FB to protect #4. I didn't want Lamm and he may be gone if we can pick up another OL. Disagree with you on Webb and if Watson and Weeden out a Webb type (or even the original) should be available in a deer stand. I like Blackson but thought he was destined for PS.

We kept more depth on the D-line than is needed. It's our area of strength. It would make sense to me they are still attempting to deal some of it to upgrade other areas.

Some teams may have been watching and waiting to pick up what we cut. This could be a move to show these are not cut quality players and the price is higher than for someone we will cut anyway.

Pure speculation.

Folks always say something like this, but really? In favor of what? - a #6 WR, #4 TE or #3 QB who will see 0 - 10% of snaps?
Do you think Prosch was going to get better? Also just because he was on field didn't mean he did anything positive. If the 6th WR is Coates or V.Smith yes. If the TE is MyCole Pruitt who supposedly a good receiver and a screen off blocker maybe yes as it gives Watson a target (I didn't have him on final roster). Third QB not on roster.

Glad they kept Blackson, Watkins, Heath and Dunn and didn't let one of them go. That's a really solid front with Reader and Covington in the mix.
Hell, the whole defense looks solid to me.
I can't find a single "bum" to complain about LOL.

Now the O-line OTOH....

Prosch (the fullback position specifically) isn't part of this offense. It seemed that a good portion of his offensive snaps came as a pass blocker in split-back shotgun sets. If it's a job that can be done as well or better by others, then use that spot to hold onto depth players for the inevitable injuries. Fuller and Johnson can't finish a season. Joseph and Jackson are going to go for the big hit and miss a game or two. Mathieu, Watt, Clowney and Mercilus are all coming off of injury. Coutee seems like a soft tissue issue (heh). I think it's better to drop Prosch (and Webb) in order to keep players on the squad and on the practice field who may be called on later.

Last edited:
Surprised Prosch was cut.

Not surprised Pruitt was kept so far. He’s got some good ability.
I didn't even know we had somebody named Pruitt on our 90-man roster, so I was puzzled he made the 53 & that we kept 4 TEs, but not as much as I was when Kendall Lamb made it ?
I like it though because new GM Gaine is clearly the man in charge here and would appear to be working seemlessly with the HC.
Of course both of the these players are expendable if the GM sees a prospect(s) on the waiver wire that could in particular help us at positions like OT, RB, and/or QB.

Looking at this roster the strength of this team is the front 7 on defense. It will likely be the best in the NFL if everyone stays healthy and will have the best run defense in the league. Which will be very important in the AFC South with the Jags/Titans leaning more run heavy than other teams in the league. This team matches up very well with the Jags/Titans. Colts too obviously but I consider the Colts a distant 4th in the division this season.

Probably more spread concepts than a traditional I formation jumbo TE package.

Maybe OB plans to just never use a FB again?

4th and Goal from the 1 and we'll be in the Shotgun?
I'm hoping one of the young TEs will be used as a "FB" in short ydg situations.
....or do you think or new short ydg play is the option with Watson..??
We'll see.

I'm hoping one of the young TEs will be used as a "FB" in short ydg situations.
....or do you think or new short ydg play is the option with Watson..??
We'll see.
The worst call ever conceived is the line buck out of a spread formation on the lip of the goal line. Spread formations are bad enough in general, but in the red zone they are only passable (pun intended).

The worst call ever conceived is the line buck out of a spread formation on the lip of the goal line. Spread formations are bad enough in general, but in the red zone they are only passable (pun intended).

I don't think they are with a duel threat QB like Deshaun Watson running a RPO play.

Remember his touchdown against the Titans last season? He wasn't even touched.

We should've kept the ball in his hands against the Pats and Seahawks last season too.. probably would've won both of those games.

Last edited:
I don't think they are with a duel threat QB like Deshaun Watson running a RPO play.

Remember his touchdown against the Titans last season? He wasn't even touched.

We should've kept the ball in his hands against the Pats and Seahawks last season too.. probably would've won both of those games.
...but, but....
what happened to avoiding putting Watson in unnecessary risk by calling plays where he's the intended ball carrier...
:D

I trust him to make smart decisions, not act like a battering ram like Cam Newton..
So do I. But I seem to recall others who didn't trust Watson to only run when it's smart to do so and thought those option plays should be ripped from the playbook.

Now that's all we have (outside of running Miller between the OG and C.)

Just wondering why it's okay now...?
:D

Last edited:
So do I. But I seem to recall others who didn't trust Watson to only run when it's smart to do so.

Well for those who still feel that way, they're going to have to get used to it, because chances are he's going to have to run out of self-preservation regardless. :)

Plus what makes Watson so special is his threat to hurt you with his lets as well as his passing prowess. He can do both equally at a high level. Why limit that.

Run/pass option is a good play whether called or not, but it can work from a man under formation as well as a spread. And it's different from a called straight ahead power play.

Back