Possible that we held back on NE?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DBCooper, Dec 16, 2012.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I've been thinking about this and I don't know if its been mentioned in other conversations, but thought it deserved its own thread.

Does anyone else get the feeling that we have gone vanilla on our playcalling to save the good stuff for the playoffs?

It just seems that Kubiak and Wade are holding back. I'm not saying throwing the game, but just that they are keeping a lot of the playbook off the tapes.

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

With AJ covered one on one and we Didn't throw

No Bootlegs

My hope for the playoffs

3. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Absolutely not! We just got outplayed plain and simple. It happens though, but we definitely have to play much better in the playoffs. I like Forsett, but I think having Tate back and getting him more involved is the first step to getting the offense back on track.

Fixing the defense is more complex but eliminating the big plays is a good start.

4. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Well i ca tell you by watching NE and SF tonight that we def didnt play our best game. And i like our odds in a rematch.

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That has also crossed my mind. But not winning that Pats game, as much as some were minimizing it, had definite potential consequences.

6. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

I did not expect SF to beatdown NE. I also didn't expect us to get blasted.
    Texans had an off game, but I don't think they held back until the game was out of hand.

I like our chances at home. Hopefully SF holds on to win this game (ha 31-3, but it is still Tom Brady) and we have leeway to lose 1 game now and still retain HFA

7. PockyAF

PockyAF Site Contributor

Nope. All the hype going into the game from our own players... no way we were holding back.

We were just making tons of mistakes and the holes were too big to dig out of, by the time the 2nd half came around.

Just like the way that the Pats mistakes are getting them blownout in their own field tonight.

Just like the way the 49ers mistakes got them blownout by the Giants earlier in the year.

I was one the guys that knew we would probably lose against the Pats, and preferred that we loss. How many 1 loss team ever won the superbowl in NFL history? We needed something late in the season to put a fire under our ass, heading into the post season.

Getting blownout by a GOOD team, don't mean ****.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

And I totally agree with that. Our best chance, hell anyone's best chance to win a Super Bowl seems to be with home field advantage.

Get every edge you can.

9. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Sandbagged 'em.

10. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Lol

Rope-a-dope

11. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

No. No offense, but it is kind of silly to think so. It hasn't just been the Patriots game. The Texans have not played a complete game since the Ravens. Either one side of the ball shows up or the other.

Plus there is no way a team of professionals is going to hold back on prime time at that. That would be a bit absurd. Let's be real, Kubiak rather rest his players that last week then have them play too much especially with the injuries already mounted. Winning would have made that a bit closer to happening then losing and then having to win games and push for a Pats lost.

We got beat. Simple as that. We haven't been playing good for a bit now but there is still time to change that direction and right the ship. Just because the 49ers are beating the crap out of them means little. The league is about matchups and the 49ers defense is a beast.

12. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

Just like the 1991 Oilers spanked the Broncos in week 6 of the regular season, 42-14, but then lost to the Broncos in the divisional round of the playoffs by a score of 26-24.

It will be a different story the next time we play the Pats.

13. digitalswim

digitalswim Sleepwalker

I love these conspiracy theory threads/comments lol. I'm sure Kubiak / Phillips both have their super secret hidden weapon playbooks they have just been waiting to bust out on the sporting world in the playoffs. :doot:

While we are dreaming here, maybe Schaub really has a cannon for a arm instead of a wet noodle, and he has just been throwing "vanilla" to confuse all the opposing defenses.

deucetx likes this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think we definitely held back, but not the same way you're thinking. Anytime you see that many plays get blown up, anytime we're making that many mistakes, Kubiak is going to call off the dogs. He's still going to try to score & win the game, but he's going to lean heavy on "conservative" plays.

If we're clicking, he lets it hang out.

15. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

LOL funny stuff, man. Gotta rep for that one.

16. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I'm not talking about the players, I'm talking about Kubiak and Wade.

You really believe he gave his best game plan to beat the patriots?

I'm having my doubts.

17. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

All i know is NE just showed Kubiak why you dont pull your starters.

18. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

He didn't hold back, but the players didn't execute and then we got too far behind to play.

SF's gameplan was very similar to ours. Man coverage, run the ball on the outside. They threw deep like we did, but they executed. I think a couple plays go our way last week the game woulda been much closer.

19. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    You know this wouldn't be a thing unless it was Kubiak....because we all know he's damn likely to do something like that.

20. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

NO, you play to win the game. I am hoping Wade learns from the weaknesses SF exposed last night. They mixed it up well a lot of man to man but I also noticed times when SF only had 2 guys rushing everyone else drop back into coverage.