possible new info, per Len Pasquarelli of ESPN...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 66cobra, Jan 3, 2006.

1. 66cobra

66cobra Veteran

see the following link about possible coaching candidates...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2278138

(please accept my apologies if this has been posted already, but I have not seen it if it was.)

In a nutshell,

"Next for Texans: Popular opinion is that with Dan Reeves making recommendations in his role as consultant, some of his former assistants, like Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, will get interviews. And they probably will. But general manager Charley Casserly will have input as well, and McNair wants to be very thorough and inclusive, so look for a long list. A few more names to file away: defensive coordinators Gregg Williams (Washington) Jerry Gray (Buffalo) and Ron Rivera (Chicago). ESPN.com's Tip Sheet column reported last Friday that the Texans have made quiet inquiries about Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino. Another college coach, Pat Hill of Fresno State, is also a possible candidate. A real dark horse would be Pete Carroll of Southern Cal, who did a lot of investigating of the Texans before signing his five-year contract extension last week."

2. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I posted this elsewhere, but it probably fits better here:

Supposedly, McNair is likely to interview Gary Kubiak, Al Saunders, Jerry Gray, Brad Childress, Ron Rivera, Ken Whisenhunt, Tim Lewis, Cam Cameron, and
    Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino. He wanted to interview Gregg Williams, but the skins just locked him up, and Rivera has not been granted permission yet, but might be.

Not counting Kippy, who has no chance, and Williams, that leaves 9 candidites. Petrino is out of left field, and I think he is a long shot. By far the most likely to wind up with the job is Kubiak, who has been the person I thought would get it since about mid season. IMO, Saunders and Gray will finish 2nd and 3rd in this close race.

3. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Louisville info about Petrino

"Petrino returns to U of L after a four-year hiatus in which he spent two seasons coaching the quarterbacks and another as the offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL.

During his tenure with the Jaguars, Petrino tutored Mark Brunnell to three of his best passing seasons in his illustrious career. Brunnell threw for 3,640 yards in 2000, which was the second-highest total in team history, and 3,309 yards in Petrino's only term as the offensive coordinator with the Jaguars in 2001.

After his three seasons in the NFL, Petrino took over as the offensive coordinator during the 2002 season at Auburn University. "

Anyone know why Petrino left the Jags to go to Auburn?

I am not a Kubiak fan, please find someone else to lead this team.

:coffee:

4. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

first of CAC why are you not a Kubiak fan, or is it just personal preference. If you need infor on him or anything like that I am happy to oblige. Next out of the guys listed, Kubiak is probably the worst interviewee in the bunch. He is just a non-sense Houstonian that shoots straight and expects the best. His presentation unless helped by Shanahan will not be the best one our management will see.

5. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Guess I just agree with this poster.

IshouldbeGM

"all of kubiaks highlights came when elway, davis, and sharpe were around....also when rod smith and ed mcafrey were in their prime in the mid 90's!! Linehan is the here and now. Linehan made gus frerotte look like dan marino. He made use of both ronnie brown and ricky williams, we'll have bush/davis, so he knows how to use 2 running backs at the same time. He also knows how to utilize a go to reciever (chambers...we have johnson) Just look at minnesota's offense last yr compared to this yr...also look at miami's offense from last yr to this yr. In denver that is mike shanahans offense....in miami its linehans. Nick saban has no offensive playbook....this is all linehan!"

I just feel that Kubiak has piggybacked off Shanahan and Elway. But I have been wrong on more than one occasion.

IshouldbeGM does make a good case for Linehan though. idonno:

:coffee:

6. So far I would have to say the argument is in favor Linehan, but please keep it coming guys, nothing but good cold hard facts.

7. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Im gonna quote eriadoc cause he made a very convincing post. Hope ya dont mind eriadoc.

8. Scooter

Scooter Funky

in 11 years as an OC, kubiak has only had 1 losing season & 3 superbowl rings. he's coached 2 HOF qb's, and made lemonade with griese & plummer. he's had a revolving door of dominant rb's, and has created one of the most highly regarded offensive lines in the game year after year. he's been taught by one of the best in shanahan, and has received high praise from his players on both sides of the ball. finally, his biggest asset is an unusually strong knowledge of the game of football. his smarts have always been the first thing said when describing kubiak.

the only flaw in kubiak is that he doesnt have any experience as a HC.

9. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I also believe eriadoc makes a more persuasive point. I would like to know more about Kubiak, though.
    What exactly makes him a bad interview?
    Is anyone familiar with his public speaking? How does he carry himself, and is he the type of coach that a team can really respect?
    Off the top of my head, I'd say yes to the last question since he has delt with some pretty elite NFL talent and had success.
    I'd be interested in seeing some clips of interviews with him if there are any available. If anyone has links to something like that, let us know. I will try and find some as well, if anyone is interested...

10. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

also..about Kubiak.. its obvious that some head coaches call their own plays, and others depend on their OC/DC to take care of all that. Belichick is a "calls his own play" kinda guy.. while id say Dom Capers let his coordinators take care of it.

so.. between Kubiak and Linehan.. just going by what I assume.. id say that Kubiak has probably had Shannahan calling all the plays, while id bet that Linehan called all the plays in Minnesota. I have nothing to back that up.. but if that IS the case, it would be a good reason why Linehan would make a better HC.

11. Doesn't Shanahan always have his playbook sheet out? That leads me to believe Shanahan calls the shots and that Kubiak is more a personnel coordinator than a schemer or game calling mastermind. I could be wrong however.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I'm just curious...since Gary has been a successful OC for many years why hasn't he already gotten a head coaching job? It would seem that for some reason he's been passed over. Wonder why?

13. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:redtowel: Which one of these gentlemen have the inside connections ? Who knows the best coaches . We know the other side of the equation already .

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

he's turned them down.

15. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Ok..thanks for that.

Kind of odd to turn down a promotion and all that but maybe he loves Denver and doesn't want to leave! Beautiful part of the country..he's probably paid very well there...I'm guessing he's a family man with kids....I just thought it was odd that he was this very sought after guy and he's been at the same job for over a decade with no promotion.

16. Kubiak was a candidate for the Texans when the frachise was looking for it's first coach, i guess he was turned down in favor of Capers.

17. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Evidently, he doesn't hold it against us that he wasn't chosen. I suppose that they told him they were more comfortable with Dom's experience with an expansion franchise.

18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

sorry, i was a bit vague. it's been reported that he's turned down HC positions at the NFL and collegate levels because both, he felt that it wasnt the right fit, and that he's very happy with his current situation. if i had to guess, it's that he's waiting for a chance in houston (which he's already interviewed for in '02), or the denver job to open up.

19. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

All head coaches start off as coordinators for the most part. I like the idea of getting a championship calibur coordinator that is hungry to prove himself as HC. I've been on his and Wade Phillips bandwagons for awhile. Good to hear there names mentioned. :thumbup

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

...or the A&M job to become available...