Possible McKinney move to guard now in OL mix

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Jun 14, 2005.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

2. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Move him to left bench.

3. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

So, the article starts...
    and finishes with...
    Doesn't sound like Steve and the Texans are on the same page. If he's looking for more money, better show some worth this year.

4. geofb

geofb Veteran

I think it's finally (though probably too late now) dawning on them that they dawdled in the offseason without addressing the O-line. We may well be in panic mode in training camp trying to fix the problem as best we can.

It is interesting that the party line is that everything is just fine, no problem. Another year of the O-line playing together and everything will gel, etc. But now it's obvious there is trouble in paradise. Behind the scenes they know they've got big problems and little time left to fix it.

Let's watch what happens when training camp opens and that will tell us. If we believe what the staff says and all the O-line needs is a bit more time to work together as a unit to gel, then you would think you would want your players playing together in the position you plan for them to play this year so they can get some more time to gel. In fact, it should be the exact same positions as last year if you really believe you had the right lineup but just needed more time to gel.

On the other hand, if the Texans are spooked (as they should be) that the O-line is going to suck wind, they will be trying all kinds of combinations and moving people all around to try and figure out how to make the best of a bad situation.

Don't listen to what the staff says, watch what they do. That is how you can really tell what the staff truly believes. Actions always speak louder than words.

5. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

I'm all for McKinney not being our C anymore but they (Texans, not the media) are probably drumming this story up so that Pitts and Wand don't feel like they are the only ones having to make a switch. If they see a vet willing to embrace a position swap, then they'd look like big sissy babies if all they was doing was pissing and moaning about the constant movement.---On another note, Wand is probably sucking @ LT & LG and that Washington is a better C than G thus forcing McKinney out a space over to G. Makes perfect sense, and like Dom says, "We want our best combo of 5 out there". texanpride

6. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

Putting him at LG gets him further from the QB, thus more time to protect the QB. :)

7. Vambo, the Marble Eye

Vambo, the Marble Eye Veteran

Who plays center if McKinney moves?

I would say Pitts just because it almost guarantees he will have less false starts this year. Ok, maybe not. :crying:

8. titan hater

titan hater Veteran

Thank You Oliver Stone...

9. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Does anyone foresee Weary ever competing for the C position? Just seems like this guy has never gotten it together at the pro level.

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno....I'm really confused about what kind of signals we are getting from
    these training sessions. Some say its just harmless experimentation, but Capers strikes me as an old school, conservative coach who would cling to
    the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought if he didn't think it was broke. I'm thinking him or some other important decision makers with the Texans have serious reservations about the status quo re the OL.

11. done88

done88 Veteran

Mckinney was a great guard at Indy and I have said since day one he should be our guard. We still need a center but we could settle down the guad

12. Big B Texan Fan

Last year there was "Harmless Experimentation" in camp with Wong getting reps @ inside LB. Now look. :hmmm:

13. Big B Texan Fan

He actually had a few snaps @ C during some reg. season games last year (or maybe the year B-4) but it just doesn't seem he has what it takes to be a C in the NFL with all the signal calling and the memorization of what the rest of the O-Line guys are supposed to do on that particular play. He didn't play C at college.

14. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

McKinney was an average guard at Indy on a passing team. McKinney would be even worse at guard than he has been at center for the Texans because the Texans want a power blocking offensive line, not a finesse line like Indy's.

15. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

More than likely Todd Washington would take over his natural position at center.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

It's my understanding that we are pattering our OL after Denver's OL, which
    as I understand it is undersized, but a quick and athletic unit. That sounds like more of an attempt to put together a finesse unit than power unit ?

17. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

The Texans are using a zone-blocking scheme that the Broncos and also the Ravens have used with success. The Broncos use smaller linemen, the Ravens use larger linemen. The Texans are using larger linemen like the Ravens.

18. Vambo, the Marble Eye

Vambo, the Marble Eye Veteran

Washington does not look like he plays unless somebody is injured... not really a starter...

I guess where I was going with this is that moving McKinney just makes us weak somewhere else, right?
    :homer:

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

not sure Todd has a natural position anymore since he has been moved around so much (mostly RG for an injured Weigert). does have the natural build & experience to play the position but would he really be an upgrade over McKinney in pass protection? seems like a good run blocking guard/center but not sure if he can take on the NT consistantly at the point of attack, holding the front end of the pocket in tact :confused:

what the Texans need is a clear upgrade at this position. sounds more like Center by committee :rolleyes:

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Right, but is the zone-blocking scheme more finess or power oriented ? I'm
    unsure and am asking you ffor a clarification.