Possible Dumb Question

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by awtysst, Jun 25, 2007.

1. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

This might be a potentially dumb question, but if you are not on a team can you get suspended? For example lets say that Player X gets cut from a team and then gets into a bar room brawl and the commish wants to suspend him. Can Goodell suspend him since he is not a member of a team and theoretically not part of the NFL? Or Would Goodell suspend him and then have him serve it after he is signed by a team?

NitroGSXR likes this.
  2. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

i think goodell can say that if player x were to sign with a team he would still have to serve his suspension. not sure about that though. also teams cant fine players unless they are under contract. for example, the patriots cant fine samuels because he hasnt signed his franchise tag yet (at least thats what i read).

im sure someone on here knows where to look for this kind of information and it even might be addressed in the new player conduct agreement. i just thought i would chime in though

3. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

It is like suspension of failing the leagues substance abuse policy. Once you sign with a team you will begin to serve your suspension.

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

You have to serve it after you get signed.

5. ChildressTitanMan

ChildressTitanMan Veteran

Ricky Williams got a 4 game suspension during the year he was 'retired'. The year after when he came back he had to serve the 4 game suspension.

Texans Horror likes this.