Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Possible DT/NT's in the 2012 draft.

Wolf6151

All Pro
A discussion of possible NT's in the 2012 draft:
Alameda Ta'amu-NT from Washington; huge, strong, mean Samoan NT and consensus top rated NT in the 2012 draft. Could anchor our D-line for years to come.

Josh Chapman-NT from Alabama; I don't know alot about him but he's listed as the #2 NT by Walterfootball and plays for a big time program in the SEC.

Dontari Poe-NT from Memphis; BB's current favorite, I don't know much about him.

Other DT's that could possibly play NT:
Brandon Thompson-DT from Clemson
Marcus Forston-DT from Miami, recently injured and out for the year.
Kawann Short-DT from Purdue
Tydreke Powell-DT from UNC

Anyone have any other names I didn't list? I was thinking that we could split these guys up, each of us taking one and doing some research on them as possible future Texans. Anyone want to volunteer and signup?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Some info for those interested. Ta'amu my first choice early has an injured hand that probably effected his play which has not been what I hoped for. Fortunatley Washington does not play this weekend giving him time to heal.

Donateri Poe Memphis Tomorrow in Houston against Rice @ 11:30 C on Comcast Sport South which I don't have. He is considered by many as best player on team & top 10 strongest in NCAA ball.

I am not too worried about our NT getting to Qb. In this system, I want him to bolck the middle & shut down the run or deflect it. He needs to tie up at least 2 opponents every play with sheer strength. I have him at round three but not surprised if gone. Would you not like to watch him practice against Baylor's phillip Blake whom I have in my 5th?

I am not a fan of light NTs.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Mike Martin out of Michigan is a guy you have to look at. Hell, I'll do it. A little on the small side, but strong as an ox. And a wrestler in high school to boot (a trait I place very highly for DL).

bah007

Hall of Fame
Mike Martin out of Michigan is a guy you have to look at. Hell, I'll do it. A little on the small side, but strong as an ox. And a wrestler in high school to boot (a trait I place very highly for DL).
I'm big on Martin.

I think he could be a star as a 34 DE.

rmartin65

I'm big on Martin.

I get Big 10 network up here, so I will watch the Michigan game tonight.

He is a bit short for my liking for 3-4 DE. I like tall DEs to get in the throwing lanes, but shorter NTs for leverage. Martin is strong, agile and has a low center of gravity. I think he could be a success at NT.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Some info for those interested. Ta'amu my first choice early has an injured hand that probably effected his play which has not been what I hoped for. Fortunatley Washington does not play this weekend giving him time to heal.

Donateri Poe Memphis Tomorrow in Houston against Rice @ 11:30 C on Comcast Sport South which I don't have. He is considered by many as best player on team & top 10 strongest in NCAA ball.

I am not too worried about our NT getting to Qb. In this system, I want him to bolck the middle & shut down the run or deflect it. He needs to tie up at least 2 opponents every play with sheer strength. I have him at round three but not surprised if gone. Would you not like to watch him practice against Baylor's phillip Blake whom I have in my 5th?

I am not a fan of light NTs.
If you're a fan of big body, another guy I noticed last year, played alongside Phil Taylor.

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, Baylor, 6'2 335.
I haven't zeroed in the college landscape yet, but he caught my eyes again in the game agains Kansas St.

(side note to rrmartin) if you're concerned about a big man stamina, I thought this one might catch your attention.
Kansas St ran 40 plays in the first half, and NJ-B was in there on every single one of them.
He didn't look out of space at all even toward the end of the half.
I haven't got to the second half of the game yet, but 40 plays in one half for a big man is quite impressive, don't you think?

He was in there for 13 consecutive plays on the first drive.
There's a fumble on special team, and back he went in there for another 10 plays.
23 plays in a row for a big man; I'm not sure I've seen it before.

During that stretch, I saw him push the double-team and bat down a pass.
I also saw him chase the play to the side line a few times.

I think we should keep an eye on this guy.

Wolf6151

All Pro
While flipping through the college football games today I realized that Alabama was on tv playing Ole Miss, thus I could watch Josh Chapman-NT from Alabama play. I tuned in the game in the early 3rd quarter and was impressed with what I saw of him. Chapman consistently pushed the C or OG into the backfield and even pursued plays that went to the outside albeit rather slowly. Chapman is obviously not gonna run anyone down from behind as a NT but he looks strong as a horse and gets good leverage. Ole Miss ran the majority of their running plays to the outside away from Chapman and passed the ball alot since they were down big, but overall I was impressed.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If you're a fan of big body, another guy I noticed last year, played alongside Phil Taylor.

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, Baylor, 6'2 335.
I haven't zeroed in the college landscape yet, but he caught my eyes again in the game agains Kansas St.

(side note to rrmartin) if you're concerned about a big man stamina, I thought this one might catch your attention.
Kansas St ran 40 plays in the first half, and NJ-B was in there on every single one of them.
He didn't look out of space at all even toward the end of the half.
I haven't got to the second half of the game yet, but 40 plays in one half for a big man is quite impressive, don't you think?

He was in there for 13 consecutive plays on the first drive.
There's a fumble on special team, and back he went in there for another 10 plays.
23 plays in a row for a big man; I'm not sure I've seen it before.

During that stretch, I saw him push the double-team and bat down a pass.
I also saw him chase the play to the side line a few times.

I think we should keep an eye on this guy.
Thanks for info. I had planned to watch that game but went to Pasadena to eat lunch with parents in an assisted living home. Step mom had been have issue with U.T.I. and my dad is very passive so I interacted with nurse and ended up missing the game.

We don't have to have a super star at NT but a solid player that ties up opponents. I've had difference of opinions with some posters who want a smaller, faster guy that disrupts QB. I think those are rare and our 5-2 is set up for DEs and OLBs to disrupt QB.

I have no feel for NJB and there is little to research. In my discussions with my mock partners Rmartin65 and Beerlover, I am now leaning towards Alemeda Ta'Amu playing for Washington. 65 and I were off of him but discovered he had a broken hand and is now better. He had 5 tackles I think and .5 sacks yesterday against Colorado. Phillips has said he has used bigguns and littleuns at the nose. Well, mixed results with Cody and I'd like to see what he could do with a bigun.

Please keep info coming! Steve

badboy

Hall of Fame
While flipping through the college football games today I realized that Alabama was on tv playing Ole Miss, thus I could watch Josh Chapman-NT from Alabama play. I tuned in the game in the early 3rd quarter and was impressed with what I saw of him. Chapman consistently pushed the C or OG into the backfield and even pursued plays that went to the outside albeit rather slowly. Chapman is obviously not gonna run anyone down from behind as a NT but he looks strong as a horse and gets good leverage. Ole Miss ran the majority of their running plays to the outside away from Chapman and passed the ball alot since they were down big, but overall I was impressed.
Agreed but isn't that already what we have with Cody? Cody is 6'4" and plays about 310 and Chapman is 6'1" and play at 310, from comments I hear during games. We'd be getting younger but not sure he'd bring anything new. Cody is fairly strong himself & has NFL experience.

Wolf6151

All Pro
Agreed but isn't that already what we have with Cody? Cody is 6'4" and plays about 310 and Chapman is 6'1" and play at 310, from comments I hear during games. We'd be getting younger but not sure he'd bring anything new. Cody is fairly strong himself & has NFL experience.
They're approx. the same weight but I think Chapman is stronger than Cody or at least gets better leverage the way he was moving the C and OG into the backfield consistently. Cody has never been considered a good NT, he was cut by an 0-16 Detroit team, and I see him getting moved out of position by the opposing O-line. I've never considered Cody strong, in fact I think it's a weakness of his. JMO.

Texan4Ever

All Pro
I'm big on Martin.

I like Mike Martin as much as the next Michigan fan but I think he is better suited in a 4-3 scheme.

How about Billy Winn, NT from Boise St? He's in the mold of Jay Ratliff and could be the guy we need to make Wade's 3-4 defense work.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I haven't seen them play in a game but have done some reading and seen some video's of Tydreke Powell from UNC and Kawann Short from Purdue that could also be our answer at NT if we wait til the 2nd or 3rd round. Josh Chapman from Alabama is still an option as well, possibly in the 1st or 2nd round. So if we miss out on Ta'amu in the 1st round there are other options available.

What's the kid from USC, Harris? I've seen two games this year and that guy is a load. Trying to dig him out of the middle is like trying to move a mountain.

badboy

Hall of Fame

rmartin65

I am watching Mike Martin right now, I think the guy can be a NT. Strong guy, low center of gravity, and can get in the backfield when asked to. Just got a safety.

Texan4Ever

All Pro
I am watching Mike Martin right now, I think the guy can be a NT. Strong guy, low center of gravity, and can get in the backfield when asked to. Just got a safety.

Got away with a facemask but whatever. As a former wrestling champ he understands what "Get low" means and always brings a 100% each and every play.