Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans.

Slaton may come back from injury and had a very poor season prior to injury. Brown should be gone. Foster while looking good played 3 games. Moats while seemingly steady is not my starter. What other position has no guaranteed starter and one promising back up?

Are you kidding me? At free safety we have John Busing and Brian Russell. They were both awful. And Eugene Wilson was injured and is getting older.

RB in first round screams to me And don't give me the we can draft one later. Maybe yes and maybe no.

We can draft one later... maybe yes.

Your first round is pretty much the only guarantee that a RB you want for your system will be there. It is a priority nedd. Fill it.

That is not even true. There are ZBS running backs scattered throughout, and will be taken, early, middle, and late.

Sounds to me like you have Reggie Bush syndrome. Dont get caught up in the hype.

Are you kidding me? At free safety we have John Busing and Brian Russell. They were both awful. And Eugene Wilson was injured and is getting older. Are you kidding me? Schaub, AJ, Mario, Demeco and Cushing were injured this year also. In an offense that Kubes insists the run sets up the pass (only changed it very reluctantly his season) a FS does not have impact as a RB. I am ok with a FS that will be 30 next August and Gary likes him also. FYI, on my board I am drafting a FS for back up but not first round.

We can draft one later... maybe yes.

That is not even true. There are ZBS running backs scattered throughout, and will be taken, early, middle, and late. It is very true. There is no guarantee any of the backs you want will be available at our pick in later rounds.
Sounds to me like you have Reggie Bush syndrome. Dont get caught up in the hype.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Slaton may come back from injury and had a very poor season prior to injury. Brown should be gone. Foster while looking good played 3 games. Moats while seemingly steady is not my starter. What other position has no guaranteed starter and one promising back up? RB in first round screams to me And don't give me the we can draft one later. Maybe yes and maybe no. Your first round is pretty much the only guarantee that a RB you want for your system will be there. It is a priority nedd. Fill it.

That's why, in the RB draft thread, I was saying draft a RB high (1-3) and draft a RB low (4-7) this year. We're supposed to be a running team, well, make that an area of absolute strength.

Along with that RB, grab two interior linemen (DL/OL) and a FS in the first 4 rounds.

Are you kidding me? At free safety we have John Busing and Brian Russell. They were both awful. And Eugene Wilson was injured and is getting older.

Wrong!!!! Current Depth chart
CB: Dunta, Reeves, Quin, McCain, Molden, Parson, Bennett
S: Pollard, EWilson, DBarber, Busing, Nolan, NFerguson, B.Russell

We can draft one later... maybe yes.[/b]

You think Kubiak wants go into next season HOPING Slaton can return to his rookie form or pinning all his hopes on finding a gem in the later rounds?

That is not even true. There are ZBS running backs scattered throughout, and will be taken, early, middle, and late. [/b]

Off course there will but the percentage of the hitting on a starrting caliber RB gets lower and lower every round.

Sounds to me like you have Reggie Bush syndrome. Dont get caught up in the hype.

Sounds to me like you have Denver Broncos syndrome. Dont get caught up in the hype yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mussop said:
Wrong!!!! Current Depth chart
CB: Dunta, Reeves, Quin, McCain, Molden, Parson, Bennett
S: Pollard, EWilson, DBarber, Busing, Nolan, NFerguson, B.Russell

You think Kubiak wants go into next season HOPING Slaton can return to his rookie form or pinning all his hopes on finding a gem in the later rounds?

Off course there will but the percentage of the hitting on a starrting caliber RB gets lower and lower every round.

Sounds to me like you have Denver Broncos syndrome. Dont get caught up in the hype yourself.

I said Free Safety Mussop. And why are you even listing cornerbacks? And thats not a depth chart smart guy. You listed the either roster of safeties. Cause Nolan and Wilson are in IR so they will not show on a depth chart.

You think Kubiak wants to go into nex season HOPING someone steps up at NT, FS, OG either? It goes both ways.

Last edited:
I said Free Safety Mussop. And why are you even listing cornerbacks? And thats not a depth chart smart guy. You listed the either roster of safeties. Cause Nolan and Wilson are in IR so they will not show on a depth chart.

You think Kubiak wants to go into nex season HOPING someone steps up at NT, FS, OG either? It goes both ways.

I agree. We have a RB that has showed he is capable of being The Guy (Slaton). Whether he returns to that form or not is yet to be seen, but he has done it before. We don't have anybody at Safety that has played at that kind of level other than Pollard. Problem is we need 2 Safeties on the field at once and only 1 RB. Therefore Safety is the bigger need.

Mario and Smith only combined for 12-13 sacks this year. Would you draft a DE before a Safety just because they didn't light it up.

Slaton/Foster/Moats > Wilson/Busing/Russell

FS is a much greater need.

If the FSs we are targeting are gone I would rather see us draft Iupati. If its decided that Iupati is too much of a stretch at our pick then I'd like to see Price. RB's have the shortest careers!! Fix the other problems before using a top pick on a RB.

If the FSs we are targeting are gone I would rather see us draft Iupati. If its decided that Iupati is too much of a stretch at our pick then I'd like to see Price. RB's have the shortest careers!! Fix the other problems before using a top pick on a RB.

wrong, Slaton/Foster/Moats = Wilson/Barber/Busing

The season is over, they are under contract, they are on the roster smart guy. We also have Quin at CB who played FS in college and could return there if Robinson returns. In fact as far as safety goes We have a legitamate starter in Pollard and Barber played good enough for the defense to finish out pretty well. Dont think Kubes needs to hope alot here.

NT, again we finished pretty well on D and were really coming around against the run with the current linup of DT's. I dont think Kubes has to hope alot here.

Og, well I dont see Kubes hoping alot here either, not when we drafted Caldwell in the third round last year and he got alot of playing time and started coming along and good OG's are available at a higher rate than any other position.

None of those compare to RB a position that takes maximum punishment and has the shortest shelf life of any position where we have one quality player that might not ever return to his previous form and a bunch of trash after him. So you see it doesnt go both ways. :pop:

The season is over, they are under contract, they are on the roster smart guy. We also have Quin at CB who played FS in college and could return there if Robinson returns. In fact as far as safety goes We have a legitamate starter in Pollard and Barber played good enough for the defense to finish out pretty well. Dont think Kubes needs to hope alot here.

NT, again we finished pretty well on D and were really coming around against the run with the current linup of DT's. I dont think Kubes has to hope alot here.

Og, well I dont see Kubes hoping alot here either, not when we drafted Caldwell in the third round last year and he got alot of playing time and started coming along and good OG's are available at a higher rate than any other position.

None of those compare to RB a position that takes maximum punishment and has the shortest shelf life of any position where we have one quality player that might not ever return to his previous form and a bunch of trash after him. So you see it doesnt go both ways. :pop:

Two thing I have to say about this post -

1) Quin was arguably our 2nd best Corner - Unless the position is significantly upgraded he likely stays there.

2) OG - With Brisiel and Pitts both injured and Pitts contract expired (and the weakness at the C spot) I think overlooking the OG spot is a HUGE mistake. There are only a few players I pass on Mike Iupati for in this draft. Dez Bryant , Joe Haden , C.J. Spiller and Earl Thomas are on that short list - very few if any are likely to be there when the Texans pick.

Then why did you innitially say CURRENT DEPTH CHART? I normally tend to agree with you Mussop, but you thinking Quin is going to FS makes me realize that you are reaching to prove a nonexistent point. Quin is a damn good young cornerback and he is not going anywhere.

Our D still gave up 4.3 yards YPR this season. Jeff Zgonina might retire, Frank Okam IMO isnt commited to being a football player, so that leaves you Shaun Cody and DelJuan Robinson. So this position might be able to wait until the 2nd or 3rd for some help.

Will Mike Brisiel and Chester Pitts come back strong? Are we going to be stuck with Studdard and Chris White? If so I think that position is in need of some serious help.

I still think FS is the biggest need. Then RB/OG/NT/CB. I might agree more with you If there was a RB worth the #20 overall selection. Spiller, Best, and Dwyer seem more like late first, early 2nd round picks. Now if we are able to trade back a few spots and draft one of those guys in the 25-32 range, then you have my interest.

Last edited:

Our D still gave up 4.3 yards YPR this season. Jeff Zgonina might retire, Frank Okam IMO isnt commited to being a football player, so that leaves you Shaun Cody and DelJuan Robinson. So this position might be able to wait until the 2nd or 3rd for some help.

Even if Zgonina doesnt retire - is it realistic for us to expect him to play as well next season as he did this past season ? He is older than dirt .... at some point there has to be a drop off in play.

Will Mike Brisiel and Chester Pitts come back strong? Are we going to be stuck with Studdard and Chris White? If so I think that position is in need of some serious help.

Studdard White and Myers isnt gonna get it done. I can see one of the three as a regular starter and thats going to be Myers - I havent heard any news about either injury and Pitts contract is expired - this is a huge questionmark position.

I still think FS is the biggest need. Then RB/OG/NT/CB. I might agree more with you If there was a RB worth the #20 overall selection. Spiller, Best, and Dwyer seem more like late first, early 2nd round picks. Now if we are able to trade back a few spots and draft one of those guys in the 25-32 range, then you have my interest.

I think OG is the #1 need at this point since I doubt any attention is given to the C spot. The OL has to be able to get a push in short yardage. With the combination of players we have for those interior spots we dont get that push.

I also place RB much lower in the order behind FS and NT and possibly CB depending upon Dunta.

I agree however that none of these backs seem to be early first round picks - they each have flaws. When I take an RB that early I want an instant impact player with very few flaws.

FA will affect these needs so a lot can change between now and draft day but this is how I see it for the time being. WR could actually move up the need list considerably depending upon Walter ....

That's why, in the RB draft thread, I was saying draft a RB high (1-3) and draft a RB low (4-7) this year. We're supposed to be a running team, well, make that an area of absolute strength.

Along with that RB, grab two interior linemen (DL/OL) and a FS in the first 4 rounds.
Exactly my idea too. I think most of us agree on team needs just differ on when to fill the need.

Exactly my idea too. I think most of us agree on team needs just differ on when to fill the need.

That all depends upon who's available when they pick and how they have these players graded .... and how the team views their needs.

I dont know if they feel the same as many of us do about their needs ...

I disagree in that it is not only a matter of numbers and who may or may not play but the importance of the postion in our schemes. While both FS and RB are important, Kubiac wants to run to set up the pass. He seems to prefer an apprx 60 -40 run/pass play scheme. Keep in mind Foster while looking good, did so in only 3 games. Historically, the safety positions have not seemed of particular focus of Smith/Kubiac. Your comment about RBs having shortest careers means little as focus is primarily only on the season that you are in or facing if the off season.

i dont think we get a safty with the 1st pick because w ehave pollard so i say we get 1 in free agency or later in the draft

i think we get dt cb or rb with 1st pick

I disagree in that it is not only a matter of numbers and who may or may not play but the importance of the postion in our schemes. While both FS and RB are important, Kubiac wants to run to set up the pass. He seems to prefer an apprx 60 -40 run/pass play scheme. Keep in mind Foster while looking good, did so in only 3 games. Historically, the safety positions have not seemed of particular focus of Smith/Kubiac. Your comment about RBs having shortest careers means little as focus is primarily only on the season that you are in or facing if the off season.

Same could be said about the RB position.

Consider the following. Texans are on the clock in round 1. The following players are on the board, in no order of importance:
Earl Thomas
Dez Bryant
Dan Williams

What do you do? I think this has a reasonable probability of coming to pass (so to speak).

Consider the following. Texans are on the clock in round 1. The following players are on the board, in no order of importance:
Earl Thomas
Dez Bryant
Dan Williams

What do you do? I think this has a reasonable probability of coming to pass (so to speak).

Its hard for me to see one of those three on the board at 19 or 20 much less all three .... each would likely have to have a poor combine performance and or several other players blow the scouts away.

But if the three are there and Im at the helm , Im taking Earl Thomas - call me a UT homer if you like ...

Earl Thomas
Dez Bryant
Dan Williams

Easy decision. I'm taking Thomas.

Kubes said this offseason that getting the running game going was job no.1.

Kubes said last offseason that getting more pressure on the QB was job no.1. Hence selecting Cush and Barwin in rds 1/2.

This year I believe that OG and RB will be addressed in rds 1-3.

I think Smithiak will take one of the highly rated OL in the draft Iupati is my favorite. If none of the highest rated OL are available Smithiak will probably reach and take Dwyer at 20 and fill the OG spot in rd 2-3. I also belive they will fill one of the OG spots in FA.

I think people are selling Dwyer short because of the offense he played in.

Remember Earl played in the wishbone for 3 yrs at UT. He did alrirght in the Nfl.

Dwyer reminds me of Stewart.

The combination of Dwyr and Slaton, with an upgraded OL and AJ/JJ on the outside would be deadly. This would be the fastest and most significant way to upgarde the team as a whole. IMHO

BAH got it right Thomas. Easy Decision

Earl Thomas
Dez Bryant
Dan Williams

If Earl is there he should be the pick without question. Second choice Bryant. Don't want a DT in the first.

Earl Thomas
Dez Bryant
Dan Williams

Thats a tough one. First I would give Cinci, Baltimore and Green Bay a call and see if I could get them in a bidding war over Bryant. If that didnt work and I had to choose it would come down to Bryant and Thomas.

Thomas fills a need and is a very good player who would complement Pollard well. On the other hand he is small framed guy that plays physical and could have problems holding up in the very physical world of the NFL.

Bryant is a top ten talent and would be a huge bargain at #20. He would eliminate teams from being able to double AJ and a combination of Johnson, Od and Bryant would be down right scary. On the other hand WR isnt really a need persay. And I would have to consider what the reason a top ten talent fell all the way to #20 and consider the risk.

Either way were getting an instant starter and both would be an upgrade over what we currently have at there positions. Since I couldnt pull off a trade down and I have to choose I have to go with value here and take Bryant. Thats if he passes a thorough screening of course.

:chef:

Then why did you innitially say CURRENT DEPTH CHART? I normally tend to agree with you Mussop, but you thinking Quin is going to FS makes me realize that you are reaching to prove a nonexistent point. Quin is a damn good young cornerback and he is not going anywhere.

I just cut and pasted "the current depth chart" to show that the safety position has more than the 3 players you made it out to have. I left the CB's in there to show the secondary as a whole. As for Quin, I love him at CB. I was just suggesting that if Robinson is resigned that gives us three quality CB's and if we were in a pinch he could play FS as he did in college. Better him at FS with Robinson and Reeves at CB than Busing at S with Robinson and Quin at CB if we were stricken by injury.

Besides just because I think RB is more a need doesnt suggest I think S isnt a position that needs to be addressed.

Im going to steal a qoute from dalemurphy. "We were 4th or 5th in the NFL against the run after week #3. Everyone is very young! The scheme was simplified because of all the inexperience on the team. More disguise and nuance will be implemented this off-season.".

But I do agree with your assesment that some talent does need to be added. I really believe they will go after at least one quality rotation DT in FA.

Agree here also.I just think finding good guards is not as hard as finding players at our other need positions. I also believe if we do not resign Pitts we will sign someone in FA. That player along with what we have and possibly a later round pick will be enough to get our OL to generate a running game to go along with our already potent passing game.

Do you think Barber played bad at the end of this year? He is still young and gained valuable experience with all the playing time he got. I know WE all want a super ballhawking type back there but Kubiak has said more than once they like their S to be interchangeable. So I dont think they see it as big a need as WE do.

Currently we do not have a single back that you can say is capable of starting 16 games next year and performing at a high level. If we dont sign a quality back via FA (and it doesnt look like there are going to be any) then we better get one in the draft. You know as well as I do that every round you wait the percentage or chance of getting a legitamate RB goes down.

We struck gold with Slaton in the 3rd round (well at least for one year) This draft isnt a strong draft for running backs. If we dont get one early our running game will continue to go backwards. To top that off Kubiak himself has said fixing the running game is priority one.

If this post is all over the place forgive me I am tired and a little scatter brained. I need to take me a little nappy.

Easy decision. I'm taking Thomas.

I'm just asking the questions. I had heard lots of mb chatter on DT, so I thought I would push a bit.

Course, another guy folks are falling in love with, perhaps justifiable so, is Iupati.

If Iupati, Dez, and Thomas were on the board, the decision is not so easy for me. mussop's analysis of Dez's impact on our offense resonates with me. Conversely, OG is a position of need. So is FS.

I just want people thinking about opportunity costs, and had hoped to stimulate discussion.

I'm just asking the questions. I had heard lots of mb chatter on DT, so I thought I would push a bit.

Course, another guy folks are falling in love with, perhaps justifiable so, is Iupati.

If Iupati, Dez, and Thomas were on the board, the decision is not so easy for me. mussop's analysis of Dez's impact on our offense resonates with me. Conversely, OG is a position of need. So is FS.

I just want people thinking about opportunity costs, and had hoped to stimulate discussion.

My feelings for Iupati are well documented.

My feelings for Iupati are well documented.

Yup. And while I am not entirely sure that my thought process is yet complete or cemented, but I will think out loud.

Iupati at 20. CB draft is deep, so address later.

Or, Thomas at 20. Asamoah in the 2nd. Address CB later.

I am unqualified to differentiate between OG talent, Iupati and Asamoah. Now, Thomas I am familiar with, since I live in Austin, and have UT football crammed down my piehole -- fortunately, it has been good football last 2 years --- hey, Earl Thomas has been with UT last 2 years. Funny, I remember the sportstalk ilk all up in arms about the freshman safeties 2 years ago before the first game. They changed their tune quickly. Thomas is a special talent, and FS is a position of need.

Man, I am torn. "Finkle...Einhorn...Finkle...Einhorn" I will just have to do more research and agonize a bit more. It will be a long wait from SB Sunday until late April.

Yup. And while I am not entirely sure that my thought process is yet complete or cemented, but I will think out loud.

Iupati at 20. CB draft is deep, so address later.

Or, Thomas at 20. Asamoah in the 2nd. Address CB later.

I am unqualified to differentiate between OG talent, Iupati and Asamoah. Now, Thomas I am familiar with, since I live in Austin, and have UT football crammed down my piehole -- fortunately, it has been good football last 2 years --- hey, Earl Thomas has been with UT last 2 years. Funny, I remember the sportstalk ilk all up in arms about the freshman safeties 2 years ago before the first game. They changed their tune quickly. Thomas is a special talent, and FS is a position of need.

Man, I am torn. "Finkle...Einhorn...Finkle...Einhorn" I will just have to do more research and agonize a bit more. It will be a long wait from SB Sunday until late April.

Me too!

I like Dez Bryant, I think he would be a wonderful weapon to add to the offense but I also see him as a luxury pick that we just can't afford right now. We've got holes on the O-line and secondary that need to be filled first.

Someone mentioned Jahvid Best as a possible 1st round pick. I like his running style and either he or Spiller would be perfect for our one cut and go system. If we traded down in the 1st then I wouldn't mind him late in the 1st.

I think if we traded down and got more picks and Dez was still there, I would pull the trigger. He would help open up the field for both AJ and the running game. Hard to play the run with two explosive guys outside.

I think what he meant was that WR isn't really a position of need (assuming we have the same players on the roster). The thought that if you're addressing a position that doesn't need to be addressed, then it could be considered a luxury pick. That you're succeeding with with what you have now and that it could actually be considered a strength. With that said, I'm a believer that you upgrade a position/your team any way you can. Who knows if you're going to have the same opportunity over the next few years. If you're getting a superstar like Andre Johnson... that would be huge!

There's one draft theory about building a 'super unit'. It could be about building a team, in general. But instead of getting above average, quality guys all around. You stock up on extremely great talent at one position. You build a super unit that forces opposing teams to spend the vast majority of their time gameplanning against and still having trouble defeating it. With this theory, and going back to your original post.... it wouldn't be a luxury pick at all. It would be a necessity to get your team to the level you want!

I think one of the reasons we go into droughts is that outside of AJ and OD, we don't really have a dependable WR. DA is ok in the slot, but he is a little two small and slow to make that much of an impact. Walter is a great blocking WR, and is a decent reciever, but I do not think he is a "playmaker". WR could use an upgrade, me thinks.

I think one of the reasons we go into droughts is that outside of AJ and OD, we don't really have a dependable WR. DA is ok in the slot, but he is a little two small and slow to make that much of an impact. Walter is a great blocking WR, and is a decent reciever, but I do not think he is a "playmaker". WR could use an upgrade, me thinks.
If we focus on the offensive side of the ball, just think about how great we could be if we pick up a starting calibre guard and a solid RB to add to the rotation in Free Agency. Then in the 1st/2nd round go WR Dez Bryant and RB Ryan Matthews.

I think our OL would be good plus Schaub would have weapons of Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels. Throw in the RB's of Slaton, Foster, Ryan Matthews + FA.... Might be near unstoppable.

3rd and 4th round we might be able to get a FS and DT rotation. :cow:

If we focus on the offensive side of the ball, just think about how great we could be if we pick up a starting calibre guard and a solid RB to add to the rotation in Free Agency. Then in the 1st/2nd round go WR Dez Bryant and RB Ryan Matthews.

I think our OL would be good plus Schaub would have weapons of Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels. Throw in the RB's of Slaton, Foster, Ryan Matthews + FA.... Might be near unstoppable.

I agree. Looking at out O, we havn't put anything into it really. No real high draft picks, or FA pick-ups. And we were still 1st in passing. Time to take a step on O and go for it. We have talent on D, we need a CB and maybe a FS, thought Wilson is servicable enough to survive.

I agree. Looking at out O, we havn't put anything into it really. No real high draft picks, or FA pick-ups. And we were still 1st in passing. Time to take a step on O and go for it. We have talent on D, we need a CB and maybe a FS, thought Wilson is servicable enough to survive.

Really nothing on O?

2 1sts, 2 2nds (with a 3rd from the prior regime playing and a 4th picked up from TN), 5 3rds (6 if you consider picking up 3rd rounder Butler) plus signing Leach to the most expensive FB contract at the time. That's a lot of what used to be termed first day talent.

Listening to LZ rave about Iupati this morning on my way into work, I started pondering how a few simple move could make this offense probably the best in the league.

If we took Iupati at 19/20, signed Mawae, and took Dwyer, Matthews, or Dixon in the 2nd, our offense would be unbelievable.

QB: Schuab
FB: Leach
RB: Slaton/2nd rounder
WR: AJ, Walter/FA
TE: Daniels
T: D. Brown, Winston
G: Iupati, Caldwell
C: Mawae

That's pretty much unstoppable.

Listening to LZ rave about Iupati this morning on my way into work, I started pondering how a few simple move could make this offense probably the best in the league.

If we took Iupati at 19/20, signed Mawae, and took Dwyer, Matthews, or Dixon in the 2nd, our offense would be unbelievable.

QB: Schuab
FB: Leach
RB: Slaton/2nd rounder
WR: AJ, Walter/FA
TE: Daniels
T: D. Brown, Winston
G: Iupati, Caldwell
C: Mawae

That's pretty much unstoppable.

That lineup there= TD's in the red zone not FG's and that = wins.

This is the kind of offense that is needed to beat the Colts. IMO

The good teams are usually dominant on one side of the ball. That offense would be dominant.

Two thing I have to say about this post -

1) Quin was arguably our 2nd best Corner - Unless the position is significantly upgraded he likely stays there.

2) OG - With Brisiel and Pitts both injured and Pitts contract expired (and the weakness at the C spot) I think overlooking the OG spot is a HUGE mistake. There are only a few players I pass on Mike Iupati for in this draft. Dez Bryant , Joe Haden , C.J. Spiller and Earl Thomas are on that short list - very few if any are likely to be there when the Texans pick.

This is what I've been thinking also. and I agree with all of your points.

Didn't it strike any one as pretty ironic that their rushing attack didn't get rolling until they hit two teams A. New England, who was resting players or B. Miami,who had players severely dinged up ? Once Crowder went out of the Miami game....our guards started to roll. In other words.....our rushing attack improved exponentially as the talent level on defense lowered to the lowest common denominator. All three of the quick guards are fine.....they all can pass protect and knock peoples pee pee in the dirt when the get off their combo blocks and reach the second level. The problem is covering for Myers. And I believe just judging what Kubes has done in the past, Myers isn't going anywhere. therefore....you raise the talent level at guard to raise the level of the entire o-line.

I'm with Old Miss on trading Picks....but if you want Iupati....and a rushing attack in '10 probably going to have to be bold and move up. Course I also said that Winston would never make it into the third round so you never know. You can always go with the hope, pick the OLT from TCU, Marshal Newhouse in the third or forth kick him inside, (or one of Beerlover's prospects in the second), and hope it works out.

And we still haven't seen Iupati in the combine drills. I guessing he's going to blow the socks off everyone at Indy. Probably do a deal with Cleveland or Seattle pretty dog gone cheap. Both clubs are like the Texans were four years ago.....desperate for talent. And should be well motivated to make a move down....cheap. They both need mass quantities of warm bodies to get out of the NFL bottomless pit. And we don't. Exactly how many roster spots will be open by April 24th for the Texans ? If Iupati keeps Mr. Manning on the pine....and we can dominate the other two division foes...make a 4-2 division record ....anything is possible. What we know for a fact after sixteen tries.....getting to Manning is pretty dog gone tough. I think the most important part of that equation, beating the Colts and dominating the division, is providing actual holes the RBs can one cut into. And that means, to me, getting some girth next to Myers. As close as we are why wouldn't you aggressively go after the best girth you can get your hands on ?

Last edited:
Right now Iupati is blowing it up at the Senior Bowl. If he's there at #20 we should grab him. Right now my wishlist is . . .

1. Joe Haden - CB, Florida (won't be available)
2. Mike Iupati - G, Idaho (might be available)
3. Donovan Warren - CB, Michigan (might be available)
4. Brian Price - DT, UCLA (might be available)
5. Dan Williams - DT, Tennessee (might be available)

Or we could trade down into the 28-32 range and take Kyle Wilson, Perrish Cox, or Brandon Ghee (all CB's).

At this point Kyke Wilson and Odrick should be on this list. Both were exceptional this week and worked their way into the first round.

Throw Branden Grahams name in as well. This guy looks like Freeney at times.

Last edited:
At this point Kyke Wilson and Odrick should be on this list. Both were exceptional this week and worked their way into the first round.

Throw Branden Grahams name in as well. This guy looks like Freeney at times.

Didn't WolverineFan get blasted on here weeks ago for suggesting Graham?...

Didn't WolverineFan get blasted on here weeks ago for suggesting Graham?...

It wasnt by me if he did. Graham has a special quick change of direction skill that is rare for a guy his size. If we develop any kind of running game at all our offense is going to be really good. Having a guy like Graham/Freeney who can really get after the QB will be worth his weight in gold.

Back