Pollard - Why the Chief gave up on him

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, Apr 2, 2010.

1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

A few weeks back I posted in a thread on here something like "how can Scott Pioli continue to be regarded as this bright football mind after releasing Pollard and seeing his impact on our defense?"

So I took it upon myself to do as much research online to find out why exactly the Chiefs gave up on him. From all the message boards/articles and anything I could find, the most common reason given was he didn't fit their new scheme.

This struck me as odd because

1) Pollard wasn't a liability in the slightest in coverage, which is usually the problem with safety's when they don't fit the scheme

2) Usually when a scheme changes its the front 7 players who find themselves out of position or no longer a fit, NOT defensive backs

3) At the very least, he's better than any safety on that Chiefs roster.

So I concluded, it couldn't be that he was no longer a fit for their new scheme. So I started giving merit to the other claims that were being made. Now these claims were made on message boards (it was difficult to find articles even reporting his release from the Chiefs, let alone anything discussing the reasoning behind it) so take it with a grain of salt or believe every word, its up to you.

One of the things I read was that Pioli did not like Pollard for reasons other than football. He was unfairly labeled "the problem" in the Chiefs locker room and his release was symbolic of "getting rid of the cancer on the team." I even read one poster to go as far as to say Pioli called around the league slandering Pollard's name and actively discouraging teams to sign him. Remember, this is all message board speculation.

But also remember Rick Smith waited purposefully to sign Pollard until week 3 so he could "experience hitting rock bottom so he could truly appreciate being in the NFL." The Rick Smith quote was not message board speculation, that was reported on the telecast of one of the games last year and McClain has retold this same account as well.

So now I'm putting together the puzzle pieces I've collected and its clear Rick got a call from Scott Pioli and took to heart what he was told. And it took the atrocious week 2 game in Tennessee where we gave up 90 yard TDs every snap it seemed to get desperate enough to want to sign this problem child Pollard. And after seeing more of the same results week 3 vs the Jags, Pollard was signed and put in the starting lineup week 4 and never looked back.

And now the Texans have a franchise impact safety for the next 10 years and we didn't have to give up any compensation to get him. And the Chiefs, well, they still have the bright brilliant mind that is Scott Pioli and their roster is just as talentless and depleted as it was when wonder boy took over. Thank you Scott Pioli, from Texans fans everywhere.

dc_txtech, keyser and Malloy like this.
  2. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Nice write up, I have to agree with some of the points made...maybe its just rumors and speculation but some of it has to be true. Anyways, we got a great player and I hope he continues to improve and help our defense.

3. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I don't ever recollect seeing that "waiting to let him hit rock bottom" quote. Sounds a bit speculatory to me. Doesn't sound like Rick Smith speak to me.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree with barrett. That doesn't sounds like a Rick Smith quote. He's usually very guarded with his words, almost like a politician.

Interesting theories, but I'd take message board talk with a grain of salt. Can you imagine what Falcon fans could get from our board regarding D.Rob? As we know, most of it is just speculation and gossip.

5. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I googled until my fingers bled trying to find that quote online. It was one of the CBS color guys (Dan Dierdorf, Rich Gannon can't remember exactly who) on one of the telecasts, he said something to that effect that Rick Smith purposely didn't jump on signing Pollard as soon as he was released because he wanted Pollard to experience "the streets" and learn a lesson. I too thought it was odd that Rick Smith would say that and that a team would wait to sign a player for this reason but in hearing about how Pioli actively called teams slandering Pollard, this reaction from Rick Smith would make more sense.

6. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

As I understand it (aka speculation), a television "color guy" oddly called "analysts"has less credibility as a "news source" than, well, you or I even do.

And you can quote that. That way it'll be official.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That's actually true........the rest of the Chief's D sucked eggs...............that left poor Bernard out in the cold.

IBleedTexans likes this.
  8. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Another thing to remember is that Pollard's old DB coach came to the Texans. I'm sure that Smith wouldn't have taken a risk on Pollard if Gibbs had bad things to say about him and didn't want him around.

I also seem to recall that there was a financial/contractual reason that they waited so long. I don't recall the specifics of that.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I seem to recall the same. I think it was Gannon, but I think that was his opinion of why Smith waited. Pollard also said it took Herm Edwards making some calls for him and waiting to pass a physical that took it until week 3.

Just how I remember it.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/bernard-pollard-accuses-chiefs-of-trying-to-have-him-blackballed/

12. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

The man brought a spark that our D was sorely lacking first 3 weeks of the season. He brought an intensity that seemed to radiate through the entire defense. Cushing looked less like a warrior before Pollard arrived. Cush seemed to be hesitant to go and really "hit" people, because the Texans defense as a unit seemed "soft" and not really aggresive. It was like Cushing didn't want to ruffle feathers by doing what others weren't. Even Demeco seemed to play more aggresive after Pollard got on the field.

I think the man is a rock solid safety, and I am proud to be named after him ...... Pollardized

13. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

The TV guys meet with both of the teams the Saturday before games, its a required of the coaches/players to do this. This is considered their "research" before the game and this is their source for all the information they throw out on the broadcast. Remember last year Kubiak went as far as to have John Lynch, who was doing our Seahawks game for Fox that Sunday, he had Lynch give a motivational speech to the team about not giving up in the playoff run.

Don't confuse the game analysts for the moron talking heads at ESPN. The play-by-play analysts are much closer to the teams/players than say for example the idiots on Monday Night Countdown.

Could've been the case but for some reason I still remember him saying Rick Smith told him this is why he waited. I could be wrong.

Yep I saw both of those publications you posted. There's another message board and a KC publication (can't tell if its a newspaper or not) that had some more tidbits on the release.

14. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Here's what I wrote in last December in a comment after I looked into this some:

I think that at the time the Texans acquired Pollard, they were pretty damn desperate. Their defense was worst in the league, and their safety play among other things on the defense was ridiculously bad.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

16. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Maybe because he was not that good I mean the cheifs haven't had the most steller record these past 4 years

17. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Is it just me or was it an odd "coincidence" that Pollard was released from the Chiefs and their new GM from the Patriots tried to blackball him from the NFL as soon as he arrived the season after injuring Tom Brady?

18. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    It's the Chiefs' FO that isn't that good :twocents:

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

That's pretty interesting, really..

I like Pollard. I like people that talk about knocking the piss out of people - and actually do it. However, I've heard a couple of times now (LZ being one source) that people around the league are waiting for the other foot to drop, inferring that 'some' problem will arise with Pollard...

I hope that speculation falls on deaf ears. Even if, what these folks were saying about Pollard were true, maybe the change of scenery thingy works. Works in reverse of Carl Everrett (Astros). Here he was a model citizen and I hated losing him. Once he left, he became a douche. I hope it's this in reverse.

In any event, we at least have Pollard knocking the piss out of people for another season.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Did the Chiefs give up on David Gibbs too? one thing for sure is KC, whatever reason, has really aided the Texans secondary :thisbig: