Poll: Tank the Season?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Seegara, Oct 2, 2018.

?

How do we deal with this season?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2018.
  1. Try to win out.

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Except for grudge matches,, tank season to get BOB outta here.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Except.....tank for better draft position.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Except..... tank for both reasons above

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Too early to decide.

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

I think it's too early to give up on getting a wildcard spot. It probably won't happen, and BoB's fate will probably be the same anyway, but for the time being let's win as many as possible. Your thoughts?

PapaL likes this.
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

3. bigmck

bigmck Veteran

It is certainly too early to talk about Tanking. We win the next two games and we are in a position to make a run at the Division Title. On the other hand if we lose this week, it is over. We are probably one week early for this thread. :)

4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Is there a cant miss prospect in this upcoming draft?

5. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Outside of some stud Dlineman I dont think so. We don't need a QB, this is suppose to be a very strong OL draft so I dont think you need to pick in the top 5 to get a solid prospect either.

PapaL and Seegara like this.
  6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Not joking the best prospects coming out are defensive Lineman/edge rushers maybe as many as 8-10 in the top 12-15. There is almost no true value in tanking because it looks like there is no gotta have QB in the top 5 and bunches of the same position where everyone will be trying to get further down to get a similar player. that's the readin Octboer, lots can and will change later though

PapaL likes this.
  7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

All draft choices, even highly rated ones, can still be a bust, so tanking for a draft choice is a hell of a lot more risky than just trying to win games and getting the confidence of the players up.

dream_team and PapaL like this.
  8. Max

Max All Pro

I don't think there's such a thing in the NFL as a coach on firm enough ground to tank a season. IMO, the decision would have to be made by the owner with firing the coach in mind and I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if this has ever happened in the NFL this early in a season (NBA different story). Even if it was an option, I want BOB to do everything he can to win so that record hangs around his neck like an albatross.

NastyNate likes this.
  9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Sounds like the type of year we end up 1.1

I think it’s too early to tank but I’m also not very confident in OB to string together wins. We may just end up with a very high pick anyways.

ATXtexanfan and AnthonyE like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Why not ?!

If winning championships is the ultimate goal and getting rid of OB gets us closer to that goal … and a nice draft pick too …. why not ?

We're not getting rid of him 6-10 or better …. not with that fat extension , this team is gonna have to have a bad record with a healthy Watson to get rid of that guy masquerading as an NFL coach on the home teams sideline.

Honestly I hope they finish the season 1-15 assuming that ensures OB is tarred , feathered and run out of town. The first pick in the draft is just icing on the cake.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Is there a worthy #1.1 to tank for? Texans odds say no

infantrycak likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Doesn't have to be a 1:1 …. or even a 1:5 , they can trade back (maybe even more than once) and get multiple picks in return which would expedite the fix - a couple top tier players at CB and OL and they solve most of their talent issues. They are competent at just about every other position ….

The main reason to tank is not 1:1 , that's just a bonus for a job well done …. but getting rid of OB and his extension is why you want a poor record. If they are 7-9 or 8-8 …. he aint going anywhere , its gonna take a 5 win or less season with a healthy Watson to get him gone.
    We all know McNair is reluctant to make changes

13. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

If the goal is getting rid of OB then who is directing the tanking and how is this orchestrated around OB's authority?

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Despite my best efforts I cant find myself rooting against the team or hoping to tank, but I'm right there with Corrosion. We're in a bad spot with O'Brien and it seems all but a couple here and a good section of the outside viewing world has come to the same realization. The fear is that unless something catastrophic happens, the McNairs will continue to be content in coasting along going nowhere - or more accurately in reverse. That fear is worsened by ownership history as friends of Kraft (O'Brien), friends of Jones (dying with Garrett), and his recent contract extension.

JB likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

OB is in charge of getting rid of himself …. He's doing a wonderful job of it so far starting the season 1-3.

They really don't even have to try to lose , OB just makes dumb mistakes that cost the team points / games on a routine basis.

Carr Bombed and OptimisticTexan like this.
  16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yes, but you said

Which led to my question... and I still question if there is anyone worth even a top 5 pick that would greatly help us. I've seen great at the top DL players and depth at OL but (other than OB getting canned) no reason to want a top pick

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

I get sucking, and OB in particular, but I thought the thread was about tanking.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Sure there is. Even if you don't use that pick where it is , you can trade it for multiple picks just like the Browns did with the pick that landed us Watson and it was only the #12 pick. They came out of that deal smelling like roses.

6 of one , half a dozen of the other.

You aren't going to get the players to tank , they are too invested , their paycheck is on the line and …. they have some pride.

I'm just looking at it from a fans prospective , that we are better off with a very poor record this season than going 8-8 or 9-7 and having these clowns back again next year accept that McNair forces OB to hire an OC , we've played this game before. This staff just isn't going to produce results equal to my expectations.

At the end of this season I'd be happier with 1-15 with OB gone and a high pick than I would anywhere between 6-10 thru 9-7 and run it back next year we were so close ….

19. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

All the evidence for O’Brien to be gone has been presented.

His slow starts and mishandling of just about everything is stark.

It doesn’t matter if they win out or not.

I could never tank, always play hard and try to win.

dream_team likes this.
  20. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

......not to mention, the QB Class at the moment looks pretty promising. If the Texans possessed the RD1-01 pick, they could easily hit the jackpot by trading back for more picks and still get Jonah Williams, the LT out of Alabama. That would be pretty amazing.

badboy likes this.