Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Poll: Tank the Season?

How do we deal with this season?

• Try to win out.

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Except for grudge matches,, tank season to get BOB outta here.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Except.....tank for better draft position.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Except..... tank for both reasons above

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Too early to decide.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I think it's too early to give up on getting a wildcard spot. It probably won't happen, and BoB's fate will probably be the same anyway, but for the time being let's win as many as possible. Your thoughts?

bigmck

Rookie
It is certainly too early to talk about Tanking. We win the next two games and we are in a position to make a run at the Division Title. On the other hand if we lose this week, it is over. We are probably one week early for this thread. :)

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Is there a cant miss prospect in this upcoming draft?
Not joking the best prospects coming out are defensive Lineman/edge rushers maybe as many as 8-10 in the top 12-15. There is almost no true value in tanking because it looks like there is no gotta have QB in the top 5 and bunches of the same position where everyone will be trying to get further down to get a similar player. that's the readin Octboer, lots can and will change later though

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
All draft choices, even highly rated ones, can still be a bust, so tanking for a draft choice is a hell of a lot more risky than just trying to win games and getting the confidence of the players up.

Max

Veteran
I don't think there's such a thing in the NFL as a coach on firm enough ground to tank a season. IMO, the decision would have to be made by the owner with firing the coach in mind and I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if this has ever happened in the NFL this early in a season (NBA different story). Even if it was an option, I want BOB to do everything he can to win so that record hangs around his neck like an albatross.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Not joking the best prospects coming out are defensive Lineman/edge rushers maybe as many as 8-10 in the top 12-15. There is almost no true value in tanking because it looks like there is no gotta have QB in the top 5 and bunches of the same position where everyone will be trying to get further down to get a similar player. that's the readin Octboer, lots can and will change later though
Sounds like the type of year we end up 1.1

I think it’s too early to tank but I’m also not very confident in OB to string together wins. We may just end up with a very high pick anyways.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Never Tank.

Why not ?!

If winning championships is the ultimate goal and getting rid of OB gets us closer to that goal … and a nice draft pick too …. why not ?

We're not getting rid of him 6-10 or better …. not with that fat extension , this team is gonna have to have a bad record with a healthy Watson to get rid of that guy masquerading as an NFL coach on the home teams sideline.

Honestly I hope they finish the season 1-15 assuming that ensures OB is tarred , feathered and run out of town. The first pick in the draft is just icing on the cake.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Why not ?!

If winning championships is the ultimate goal and getting rid of OB gets us closer to that goal … and a nice draft pick too …. why not ?

We're not getting rid of him 6-10 or better …. not with that fat extension , this team is gonna have to have a bad record with a healthy Watson to get rid of that guy masquerading as an NFL coach on the home teams sideline.

Honestly I hope they finish the season 1-15 assuming that ensures OB is tarred , feathered and run out of town. The first pick in the draft is just icing on the cake.
Is there a worthy #1.1 to tank for? Texans odds say no

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Is there a worthy #1.1 to tank for? Texans odds say no

Doesn't have to be a 1:1 …. or even a 1:5 , they can trade back (maybe even more than once) and get multiple picks in return which would expedite the fix - a couple top tier players at CB and OL and they solve most of their talent issues. They are competent at just about every other position ….

The main reason to tank is not 1:1 , that's just a bonus for a job well done …. but getting rid of OB and his extension is why you want a poor record. If they are 7-9 or 8-8 …. he aint going anywhere , its gonna take a 5 win or less season with a healthy Watson to get him gone.
We all know McNair is reluctant to make changes

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
If the goal is getting rid of OB then who is directing the tanking and how is this orchestrated around OB's authority?

Scooter

Funky
Despite my best efforts I cant find myself rooting against the team or hoping to tank, but I'm right there with Corrosion. We're in a bad spot with O'Brien and it seems all but a couple here and a good section of the outside viewing world has come to the same realization. The fear is that unless something catastrophic happens, the McNairs will continue to be content in coasting along going nowhere - or more accurately in reverse. That fear is worsened by ownership history as friends of Kraft (O'Brien), friends of Jones (dying with Garrett), and his recent contract extension.

Reactions: JB

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If the goal is getting rid of OB then who is directing the tanking and how is this orchestrated around OB's authority?

OB is in charge of getting rid of himself …. He's doing a wonderful job of it so far starting the season 1-3.

They really don't even have to try to lose , OB just makes dumb mistakes that cost the team points / games on a routine basis.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Doesn't have to be a 1:1 …. or even a 1:5 , they can trade back (maybe even more than once) and get multiple picks in return which would expedite the fix - a couple top tier players at CB and OL and they solve most of their talent issues. They are competent at just about every other position ….

The main reason to tank is not 1:1 , that's just a bonus for a job well done …. but getting rid of OB and his extension is why you want a poor record. If they are 7-9 or 8-8 …. he aint going anywhere , its gonna take a 5 win or less season with a healthy Watson to get him gone.
We all know McNair is reluctant to make changes
Yes, but you said

The first pick in the draft is just icing on the cake.
Which led to my question... and I still question if there is anyone worth even a top 5 pick that would greatly help us. I've seen great at the top DL players and depth at OL but (other than OB getting canned) no reason to want a top pick

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
OB is in charge of getting rid of himself …. He's doing a wonderful job of it so far starting the season 1-3.

They really don't even have to try to lose , OB just makes dumb mistakes that cost the team points / games on a routine basis.
I get sucking, and OB in particular, but I thought the thread was about tanking.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yes, but you said

Which led to my question... and I still question if there is anyone worth even a top 5 pick that would greatly help us. I've seen great at the top DL players and depth at OL but (other than OB getting canned) no reason to want a top pick

Sure there is. Even if you don't use that pick where it is , you can trade it for multiple picks just like the Browns did with the pick that landed us Watson and it was only the #12 pick. They came out of that deal smelling like roses.

I get sucking, and OB in particular, but I thought the thread was about tanking.
6 of one , half a dozen of the other.

You aren't going to get the players to tank , they are too invested , their paycheck is on the line and …. they have some pride.

I'm just looking at it from a fans prospective , that we are better off with a very poor record this season than going 8-8 or 9-7 and having these clowns back again next year accept that McNair forces OB to hire an OC , we've played this game before. This staff just isn't going to produce results equal to my expectations.

At the end of this season I'd be happier with 1-15 with OB gone and a high pick than I would anywhere between 6-10 thru 9-7 and run it back next year we were so close ….

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Why not ?!

All the evidence for O’Brien to be gone has been presented.

His slow starts and mishandling of just about everything is stark.

It doesn’t matter if they win out or not.

I could never tank, always play hard and try to win.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Why not ?!

......not to mention, the QB Class at the moment looks pretty promising. If the Texans possessed the RD1-01 pick, they could easily hit the jackpot by trading back for more picks and still get Jonah Williams, the LT out of Alabama. That would be pretty amazing.

OptimisticTexan

Yes, but you said

I think I gave a pretty good reason in my post.....missed attaching your post as an additional quote.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
All the evidence for O’Brien to be gone has been presented.

His slow starts and mishandling of just about everything is stark.

It doesn’t matter if they win out or not.

I could never tank, always play hard and try to win.
Sure the evidence has been presented …. but if they end up 7-9 / 9-7 and just miss the post season , do you really believe McNair is gonna can OB after giving him that fat extension ?! I don't …. We'll hear how he's learning , growing on the job and that he deserves another year bla bl bla. Then we'll get the same damn results …. again and MAYBE move on the following year.

The players aren't going to tank ….. Aint Happening. They might lose games but it wont be because they don't want to win. It'll be lack of talent or preparation.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
Sure the evidence has been presented …. but if they end up 7-9 / 9-7 and just miss the post season , do you really believe McNair is gonna can OB after giving him that fat extension ?! I don't …. We'll hear how he's learning , growing on the job and that he deserves another year bla bl bla. Then we'll get the same damn results …. again and MAYBE move on the following year.

The players aren't going to tank ….. Aint Happening. They might lose games but it wont be because they don't want to win. It'll be lack of talent or preparation.
This is expectation that I have for the season. nothing more, nothing less.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Whatever helps to build and develop franchise moving forward I’m in favor of. Could be simple as mastering hamstring injury’s or more reps for young talent. One thing for sure, more fun and smarter football. Then let chips fall where they may.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
If tanking leads to ousting BoB, fine because it means the players are not behind him but I don't think these players would do that.

I want this team to win and advance in the playoffs already.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club

How many 9-7 or 7-9 can they really stand?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
As long as the seats are full , there's a long ass line for PSL's , the add revenue is riding high …. and they are selling tons of $8 beers.

The franchise is worth a whopping Billion Dollars …. and its never won jack. Think about that for a moment or three.
Every team in the NFL is worth over a billion. Not sure what you’re getting at?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Is there a cant miss prospect in this upcoming draft?
In answer to original thread we seem to be moving up the draft board trying to win so why try to lose? PapaL, not saying can't miss but players who should transfer skills quickly:

CB Greedy Williams LSU, CB Julian Love Notre Dame, ILB Devin White LSU, OT Jonah Williams Alabama, Edge rusher (OLB for Texans) Montez Sweat Miss State and RB Damien Harris Alabama

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm not down for tanking. The Browns has ranked for quite some time now and how has that turnout for them Corrosion? Look at how long it took the Jaguars to become relevant again.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If tanking leads to ousting BoB, fine because it means the players are not behind him but I don't think these players would do that.

I want this team to win and advance in the playoffs already.
If tanking means ousting O'b chances are we won't be tanking as O'b would have to be in on it.

If the Texans tank, think about it, why would McNair fire him as it was obviously the plan.

I think it is more likely that O'b would be fired if we barely miss the Wild Card than if they colluded to tank the season.

Last edited:

Shishkabob

All Pro
Being mediocre with no chance to make the playoffs could be detrimental to an all important 2019 NFL Draft.
easier to convince free agents to join a 9-7 team, than a 2-14 team. Players want to get paid, but they still want to win. Also tanking in the NFL is useless, careers are to short, contracts are short and not guaranteed. Browns tanked for years never helped them, jags were picking in the top 5 for how many years before finally having a winning season?

OptimisticTexan

easier to convince free agents to join a 9-7 team, than a 2-14 team. Players want to get paid, but they still want to win. Also tanking in the NFL is useless, careers are to short, contracts are short and not guaranteed. Browns tanked for years never helped them, jags were picking in the top 5 for how many years before finally having a winning season?
Poor FO kept the Browns from taking advantage of their situation in seasons past. With a new team in place, they did pretty well in the last draft.

Reactions: JB

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member

This is expectation that I have for the season. nothing more, nothing less.
So I am now officially wrong about this team's final record and missing the playoffs.

OptimisticTexan

This team is once again TWO DRAFTS away from being a real 12-4 team who earned the record playing a top 5 schedule within a top AFC Division. If they finish 12-4, I'm going to feel like I just got to enjoy watching a David Copperfield Magic Show for 17 weeks.

Everyone would be very wise not to get caught up in the ether of this potential 12-4 season. Why? Next season the Texans will draw a 1st place schedule and the teams within the AFC will be better. The return of the Colts and a healthy Jags team will make the AFC much more chippy in 2019.

For Cal, Gaine and OB.....screw the pooch by making bad FA moves and having an off-draft and this team could hit a 2-14 bottom with a resounding thud.

DanielTx

Veteran
This team is once again TWO DRAFTS away from being a real 12-4 team who earned the record playing a top 5 schedule within a top AFC Division. If they finish 12-4, I'm going to feel like I just got to enjoy watching a David Copperfield Magic Show for 17 weeks.

Everyone would be very wise not to get caught up in the ether of this potential 12-4 season. Why? Next season the Texans will draw a 1st place schedule and the teams within the AFC will be better. The return of the Colts and a healthy Jags team will make the AFC much more chippy in 2019.

For Cal, Gaine and OB.....screw the pooch by making bad FA moves and having an off-draft and this team could hit a 2-14 bottom with a resounding thud.
Never underestimate the heart of a champion. With Deshaun healthy, this team will always be a Super Bowl contender. Half our star players are over 26. You’re over thinking when you bring up the off season draft picks. I’m not even mad at you but you disappoint me. Like you guys that talk about draft picks have no faith in your team. You’ve never seen Deshaun in the playoffs. Stop trying to sound like a gm and root for your team. Smh be thankful you have the best young qb in the league.

DanielTx

Veteran

Next season we will draw a 1st place schedule... obviously, next season we will also be better. It’s called progression man. I know you’re use to the Texans being mediocre but things changed since we have a true leader at the most important position in the game. The jags will continue being the jags and the colts arent special. You sound ridiculous man. You don’t sound like a Texan fan

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
A teams final standing only affects two games, in our case we'll get New England for sure, and either Pittsburgh or Baltimore. However you look at it, next year's schedule is a lot harder than this years.
How is that a lot harder? We played NE this season. So we're down to one game.