Poll: Kubes One More Year? II

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Drew_Smoke, Nov 12, 2008.

?

Give Kubes Another Year? II

Poll closed Nov 15, 2008.
  1. Yes...Give Him Another Year

81.3%
  2. NO...Turn The Page And Move On

18.7%
  1. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

Save your opinions as they are all over in other threads. I thought it would be fun to see how the results turn out now.

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Fire 'em!!

Let's just keep burnin' through coaches at a clip of every 3 1/2 years until someone sticks...

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Objection, Turn the Page is a good song. It may cause confusion.

Drew_Smoke likes this.
  4. GP

GP Go Texans!

It is human nature to stick with your initial choice...because we are too prideful to admit that we made a wrong choice.

The writing is on the wall: Kubiak is toast. This is building, and will reach a boiling point about this time next season. And THEN people will start voting differently. That's how I was with David Carr: I stuck by the guy for a long time because I couldn't bring myself to believe that he was "that" bad, but in the last season? I saw it. I couldn't stay aboard the Carr Wagon any longer.

A lot of people like Kubiak for who he is, etc., and I can see that. That's fine. He did bring us out of a deep hole. I see that. But the overall impact he's had on this team, starting with a dreadful choice for d-coordinator in Richard Smith, is underwhelming. Like I have said: Kubiak might be able to turn it around if he cans Richard Smith...but will he? Prolly not. And he still has a lot of issues himself with consistently poor gameday decisions and management problems to overcome.

It starts on the field, and it spreads to the fans, and then the noise of it all is too much after awhile. Believing in David Carr for so long has taught me this: Today's NFL has a brief window of opportunity and a low tolerance for those who can't produce in time. And time is of the essence in a 16-game season.

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

This team is way too soft for my tastes but I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. McNair is gonna wait till we start having the blackouts because he is slow to pull the trigger on all his decisions.

6. Blake

Blake MMQB

He wont get canned. McNair will give him at LEAST 1 more year.

7. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

If out of the remaining 7 games, we have 4 or 5 games that look like Sunday, his chances of increase greatly of being fired.

If we play more like we did most other weeks, showing some things and being competitve, he is probably retailed. My money is on this 2nd option versus and full out implosion for the last half of the year.

8. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

I say keep him and if he loses 3 more games he needs to interview, I doubt he would be called by any other team.

9. rdroppa

rdroppa Rookie

He could always replace TORO....and by the way does anyone hate those all RED uniforms as much as I do?

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    The thing bothering me is if we give him another year to figure out that he's not our coach we'll be looking for a new coach for the 2010-11 season. Okay then new coach brings in "his guys" for a year. 2011-12. They get better for a year. 2012-13. Make or break for the new coach is 2013-14 season....rinse and repeat...

...or we could start showing accountability immediately.

11. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

You don't fire him unless you have Bill Cowher lined up as a replacement.

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Maybe if we brought Capers back as DC........

13. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Good thing you said DC and not HC... :bat:

14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

If you fire Kubiak, who replaces him??

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

So is Kubiak. It's a match made in football purgatory.

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

its disturbing us peons to hear such talk from our mods :beerfunnel:

17. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I give him one more year if he can win 5 of the next 7 to at least finish 8-8 again. But regardless of what I think and want, we have Kubes for at least another year.

18. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I vote for this one. Also, I can see Mr. McNair bitting the bullet on one year on the contract, not two. Everyone was on board as I remember it, MS, the offensive line, defensive switch.

This is a young team and they had to reach for some guys to fill in all of the gaps. Either way it goes down....I'm thinking we'll see him picking players next draft. So the first thing this new guy has to be is a Zone blocking scheme expert... or we're in another five year plan. The other big question is do the Smiths go out the door with him ?

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Three GD coaches in eight years ? I 've seen manics more stable than that.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Crazy? I'll show you crazy. Here are the last 7 (really 6) head coaches who began their stint with 3 non-winning seasons (or more), and kept their job the following year:

Mike Nolan - 49ers -16-32 from '05-'07, fired mid season in '08 going 2-7
    Dom Capers - Texans -16-32 from '02-'04, fired after a 2-14 season in '05
    Bruce Coslet* - Bengals - 14-34 from '97-'99, fired after starting 0-3 in Y2K
    Jeff Fisher - Oilers - 31-33 from '95-'98, AFC Championship in '99
    David Shula - Bengals (again) - 18-46 from '92-'95, fired in '96 going 1-6
    Bill Belichick - Browns - 20-28 from '91-93, went 11-5 in '94, fired after going 5-11 in '95
    Bruce Coslet (again) - Jets - 18-30 from '90-'92, fired after an 8-8 year in '93

*Coslet had a 7-2 record in '96 as interim head coach

So the Texans would be in the rarefied air of the Bengals if Kubiak is retained after a 3rd consecutive non-winning season.

"But what about Jeff Fisher? The Oilers kept him, and were rewarded with a trip to the Super Bowl." A couple of points. One, Fisher had (3) break even seasons, following a 7-9 record in his first full season. Two, Bud Adams couldn't afford to fire Fisher during the Tennessee Vagabond era. Other than the TV contract, Adams had no revenue stream playing as a lame duck in the Astrodome, then the Liberty Bowl, and finally at Vanderbilt. Fisher was the lowest paid head coach in the league. Adams had to keep him.

"Belichick. The Browns definitely made a mistake firing that guy." Maybe. But that '05 year was a tough one, once the move to Baltimore was announced. And the fact is that without Tom Brady, Belichick's record isn't so hot.

Denny Green. Dave McGinnis. Greg Williams. George Seifert. Dave Campo. Coaches get fired after 3 bad seasons. Marinelli and Edwards are sure to follow. Nothing maniacal about that. Sometimes, a good coach will get thrown out with the bath water. Kubiak is a good coach. Just not a good head coach.