Russell or Peterson?

• Adrian Peterson

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • JaMarcus Russell

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Toro

Waterboy
In a previous post, I've discussed the possibility of Adrian Peterson and JaMarcus Russell falling to the Texans at 8.

Before you dismiss it entirely, check out the thread and read how the draft breaks down based off needs.. It's NOT entirely an unrealistic possibility that both could fall.

So, with that said.. Let's play GM.. Hypothetically, the draft plays out with these two being on the board at 8.. Which one do you pick? Do you go with the raw, but ultra talented QB? Or, do you go with the superstar potential, but "injury prone" HB?

First I go with this should probably be in the Draft Forum, then after that I look at who will help us win more right now. Talentwise they are pretty similar and both have very high ceilings. Jamarcus Russell has a cannon for an arm and is fairly mobile, but his decision making is questionable at times. That is likely due to his youth and the fact that he has a cannon for an arm. His footwork can be very bad at times, but overall I think he should be the top QB taken in the draft. True I do like Brohm maybe a little better, but they are so close and you factor in the ceiling and Russell is the guy.

Peterson is a kid that I really like. I think in our ZBS system, especially once ran correctly and effectively he could put up serious numbers. He would give us a RB that teams have to respect and gameplan for. Right now most teams gameplan to keep DC in the pocket and double AJ, well that made the middle of the season long and very dissapointing. Either way, Peterson to me is not overly injury prone, he has had some injuries, but nothing that is nagging or needs to be worried about. He will need to be taught to get his pad level lower as he started doing this season, but once again his ceiling is so high that you cant really miss.

Both prospects are very talented, but Peterson helps us win now so he would have to be my pick.

Adrian Peterson is my pick.

IMO in the WCO and Kubes system you need a Game manager who can run the offense effectively overall, limit mistakes and work inside the system as a QB more than a playmaker. A veteran QB should be able to handle that much easier as reading an NFL level defense will be paramount for success. Overall IMO You need playmakers at the RB, WR and TE positions to make the offense work well and thus I would go with the RB as a pick between the two.

I wouldn't take either, but I answered the poll with Russell.

We need to think longer term for this franchise and not short term. No matter whats happened in the past, this team needs to crawl, then walk, and then we can run.

Russell is a project and the rest of DC's contract time would be an ideal training time on the bench.

Draft DL, OL, or DB.

Go Texans!

you should add two other options:

other player, or
trade down

or you could just add the single option:

neither

which would encompass both the trade down and the drafting a different player possibilities.

Either way that is how I would vote neither preferably trading down.

I picked Russell. I think it's time we start thinking about a new quarterback. I say let the Texans do it right this time. We either let go of Carr and play Rosenfels throughout the 2007 season, or we just let Carr play the rest of his contract and allow Russell a year and half to develop and learn from the sidelines.

Adrian Peterson will probably bring instant results, but I want the Texans to start developing a new franchise quarterback. But I would be happy with either one anyway.

:twocents:

I love both. I put Russell just for the fact that I want Carr gone and think our best plan this year is to get another vet in here to play and then have Russell or someone like him learning for a year. That isn't saying that I don't want a back and don't think Peterson won't be a stud. I just think we need to look at the team down the road and we need someone who can lead and make plays at the QB position. Although I'm not sure of his "intangibles" when it comes to different things. I don't think we can go wrong.

First I go with this should probably be in the Draft Forum, then after that I look at who will help us win more right now. Talentwise they are pretty similar and both have very high ceilings. Jamarcus Russell has a cannon for an arm and is fairly mobile, but his decision making is questionable at times. That is likely due to his youth and the fact that he has a cannon for an arm. His footwork can be very bad at times, but overall I think he should be the top QB taken in the draft. True I do like Brohm maybe a little better, but they are so close and you factor in the ceiling and Russell is the guy.

Peterson is a kid that I really like. I think in our ZBS system, especially once ran correctly and effectively he could put up serious numbers. He would give us a RB that teams have to respect and gameplan for. Right now most teams gameplan to keep DC in the pocket and double AJ, well that made the middle of the season long and very dissapointing. Either way, Peterson to me is not overly injury prone, he has had some injuries, but nothing that is nagging or needs to be worried about. He will need to be taught to get his pad level lower as he started doing this season, but once again his ceiling is so high that you cant really miss.

Both prospects are very talented, but Peterson helps us win now so he would have to be my pick.
I agree with your post. Still think we need to get a left tackle though.

I picked Russell. I think it's time we start thinking about a new quarterback. I say let the Texans do it right this time. We either let go of Carr and play Rosenfels throughout the 2007 season, or we just let Carr play the rest of his contract and allow Russell a year and half to develop and learn from the sidelines.

Adrian Peterson will probably bring instant results, but I want the Texans to start developing a new franchise quarterback. But I would be happy with either one anyway.

:twocents:
AP in 1st and Kolb in 2nd would do what you want. We can run a verticle offense with our receivers and TEs especially if we have a break away type back. Dayne will help with short yardage and red zones. :snobord:

I agree with your post. Still think we need to get a left tackle though.

1. left tackle is not a choice of this hypothetical Question

2. after Thomas, unless you consider Gaithers, value is not there w/8th pick

3. the Texans will have to aquire a top LT via free agency or trade

4. develop one from latter rounds

5. hope that Spencer recovers 100%

having said that, Peterson would be my pick :shades:

AP in 1st and Kolb in 2nd would do what you want. We can run a verticle offense with our receivers and TEs especially if we have a break away type back. Dayne will help with short yardage and red zones. :snobord:

We aren't going to be running a vertical offense while Kubiak is coach, it isn't his bag baby.

As for the poll question, my theory is that when you have two players of equal ability with equal positional needs you take the one in which that position is hardest to fill. In my mind both QB and HB have adequate players in them in terms of need but QB beats HB in difficuly to fill position, therefore Russell is my pick.

Peterson seems more of a need for the Texans than Russell. Peterson would take pressure off of Carr.

Peterson no doubt.

1. left tackle is not a choice of this hypothetical Question

2. after Thomas, unless you consider Gaithers, value is not there w/8th pick

3. the Texans will have to aquire a top LT via free agency or trade

4. develop one from latter rounds

5. hope that Spencer recovers 100%

having said that, Peterson would be my pick :shades:

Yep you left me with no one to vote for. What he said. :shades:

It really shouldnt be close. Russel has alot head of him and Peterson is just an injury prone back. Where we pick Russel wont be there but for the question no doubt Russel

Adrian Peterson all the way. Russell is my favorite QB in this draft but I think a big-time RB will have a much bigger impact on our offense than a big-time QB that is going to need a decent amount of time to adjust to the NFL and our system. Peterson is arguably the most NFL-ready player in this draft and would be a much bigger addition to our offense this coming season. If they do decide to move on from David Carr and move him this year (which I don't think they will) then I can see them going for Russell.

As a side not I think it's much more likely that Peterson falls to #8 than Russell, but that is a moot point for this thread.

I voted Russell, even though I want to see what Carr has, because I don't think we need a world-beating back. I like what I see from the guys we have. Unproven, Chris Taylor may be, but with what the ZBS did for guys like Davis, Anderson, Gary and Droughns (okay, okay, just those guys... so what?) I can't help but get excited at the prospect.

If I could have anyone in the draft, right now, my instinct would be to say Joe Thomas. He might not be a world-beater, but when I think about the glaring holes this team has had for years and years, I think Left Tackle and Right Tackle. I love Pitts, but he's a guard. I love Spencer, but he's as big a question mark in my mind as the TB word(s) was back in the day.

Back