Plays or players that stand out to you vs Miami

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Well now I understand that old mantra "take one game at a time". I think Mario was very effective today as was Watt. I think JJ looked much better as a WR.

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

tate. he's showing us we don't have to be scared about not having arian.

3. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Tate, Watt, and Joseph. In Joseph's case as impressive as I felt he was, I was even more impressed when he was out. I wonder what the numbers where with him in/out of the game (still realizing there are 10 other guys out there).

Oh, and tackle of the day nominee, the stick Quinn laid down with Houston deep in their own territory. Cushing's hammering on Henne was fun too.

4. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

JJ Swatt!

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Dolphins were "battered" and fried.

6. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

Tate, Watt, Hartmann, Joseph.

Tate - Runs hard. Hits the holes. Makes life easier if Arian misses more time.

Watt - Great motor. Gets his hands up. It's going to be scary as he improves.

Hartmann - Yeah, I know he's a punter, but he set a record for longest punt in Texans history and put them inside the 10 3 times and on the 12 once. His other 2 punts were from deep in our own territory and in years past would have meant they started at our 45. He also kicked into the end zone on each kickoff.

Joseph - Because we see how bad we could be if he's out. It forces Allen in and the only time he should be on the field is if we're in Quarters 6 deep prevent. even then I might feel safer with Mario as that 7th DB.

7. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

Quinn, Mario, Cushing, Manning, Wade Smith, Tate, our new punter Hartmann. I thought the kid had a great game today. 48 yard average and 2 inside the 10 yard line. Couldn't ask more of him today.

Schaub is going to have to bring his "A" game the next few weeks. He's been just good enough to win so far. Expect NO to blitz him big time after he showed zero mobility in the pocket today.

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

1.) Troy Nolan.

Brandon Marshall was trying to stiff-arm Troy Nolan, and might have broken off a patented "Brandon Marshall highlight reel" play had it not been for Nolan very wisely grabbing the entire arm, with both hands, and using Marshall's stiff-arm against him.

I don't know if that's what coaches are teaching the guys, in any level of football, or if it was Nolan's instincts, but nevertheless it should be a taught technique NOW. He dragged Marshall down because of it. Even Brandon Marshall got up after the tackle and looked a bit perplexed that he was tackled by little Troy Nolan of the Texans. Agree?

2.) Brian Cushing.

He played himself out of stopping Thomas on one play. He didn't seal the backside edge, and he got blocked out of the play on a nice run by the Dolphins' RB.

With that play out of the way, however, I saw him making lots of stuffs in the middle. The 3rd and long play where Henne scrambles and Cushing just drills him in the back, stopping Henne dead cold from the 1st down marker was, IMO, the game-changing play that sealed it for us.

3.) Mario Williams.

Mario was being HELD so damn much, I was screaming at the TV. There was one play where he was held the whole way and the ref misses it the whole way. Or he would have sacked Henne.

Mario was pressuring Henne. He nipped Henne's arm on the pass play where J-Joseph intercepts the ball because of Mario's shot on Henne's arm.

4.) Schaub.

No "WTF???" moment for Schaub.

THAT is a good sign. No brain fart moments for him.

5.) AJ.

Uh, this is why I drafted him 6th overall in my FFL draft. He is a beast when he is targeted often. He loves playing the Dolphins. It's the residue of his Miami U days, I think. It lingers and he absorbs it out of the air and uses it for his strength and awesome talent against the Dolphins. He-Man.

The long catch over his shoulder, where he finger-tip catches it (in stride!) was Canton, OH Hall of Fame stuff. Period. HALL OF FAME STUFF.

6.) Ben "Kickin' Their Ass" Tate

He was a grinder today. He would bust through the LOS and with a slight "hip shift" while still running downhill he'd be gone for 5 or 6 or 9 yards.

The twisting, churning run on like 3rd and short was mind-boggling. With the camera angle I had on my TV, it looked like he went down juuust short of the marker...but he didn't. I was on the roof when they called "1st down!" after that play. Hit rewind just to see it again.

7.) Joe Marciano's special teams.

No "WTF?" moment there. Two straight games with solid ST play from Joe Ma's squad.

And a +1 to Kubiak for axing Maynard and bringing Hartmann back as the punter. We need the bigger leg of Hartmann's.

8.) Our two free agency acquisitions in the secondary.

No need to name them. You know who they are. They were near the ball, they were never soundly beaten on multiple plays like we had all last season.

DocBar likes this.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I could stand to see some more 69 yard punts. Could that be longest in Houston (Oilers included) history? I think so. I believe Hartmann will do better when he settles in. He has to be nervous after being cut then re-signed.

10. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Lol wow. Obviously you root for the guy to fail. Don't get how fans can do that.

Any ways the defense overall for causing TOs. Each of those TOs were the reason we won the game so one for Mario and J.J for the deflection/INT and another for Kareem and Quinn for the FF and recovery. We don't get those we probably lose this game.

11. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Good reasons: Tate, Jacoby, Mario, Cushing, Watt

Bad reasons: Winston & Duane Brown (both looked bad in pass protection), Schaub (looked rattled and isn't taking control of the game like he should), Shaun Cody/Earl Mitchell (RBs are able to just pound it up the middle on us), Demeco (did he even show up to the game today?)

12. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

This. I saw two times at least where it looked clear as day that he was being held.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Game ball Tate offense & Quin defense.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Braman on special teams - twice.

First was the nice punt return by Jones. Braman got real close to blocking the punt then got himself back in the play earholed a would be tackler along the sidelines.

Next was on kick coverage I believe .... the returter brought it out from deep and was stopped inside the 10 - Braman in on the tackle.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Qb rating was 118 someone said with two TDs and no INTs. He did not force any throws either. I'll take this every game.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

You could tell when Mario went out, cause Reed isn't really ready. Got caught going to far inside and didn't hold the edge. Mario was held a bunch, and though he had no sacks, the pick was a great play by him.

Kareem had a solid game IMO. The catch on the sideline was a great play, that ended up being trumped by a great catch.

Quinn is pretty dominate at safety. He laid the wood and was very active.

This small nose tackle shit should be over. They have to go out and find a fat boy to clog the middle. Like mitchel a's a spell dt, but damn.

Smith & Watt are very good. Disruptive and active

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Ok, one that no one has mentioned; Gary Kubiak for not throwing red flag and listening to his ear piece. No time managment problems.

Fox likes this.
  18. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

LOL Gary is a given. Every Sunday! But thanks for the chuckle :)

19. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I agree with all of those for positives.

My negative was the offensive line with regards to pass blocking. Winston got his lunch money stolen today and Brown completely whiffed on a rush that resulted in a sack. They better get their shit together. I thought they did great run blocking.

Slaton sucks. He's a huge drop off from Foster & Tate and I just have no faith with him in the backfield.

20. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Positive: Schaub. I kept waiting for that one dumb pass that would inevitably end up in an interception. And it never happened!

Negative: Winston. He KILLED a drive with a holding penalty, seemed like his name was being called all game, which is a BAD thing to have when it's an offensive lineman.