Playing with the Lead

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by mokalus, Oct 4, 2010.

1. mokalus

mokalus Rookie

I know a win is a win, but I have been unimpressed with the playcalling on both sides of the ball when the team has a lead in the second half. Granted, against the Colts, we just ran all day as they couldn't stop the OL, Leach, and Foster, but in terms of a game like yesterday's, I believe the coaches need to call the game better and not "leave it up to the defense" to stop a game-tying drive.

I'm a bit less critical on defense just because I believe Cushing's return will make a significant difference on the team's pass defense, but on offense, the play-calling is much too conservative for my liking. Even while the playbook was more creative at the beginning of the game to get the lead, I still think it was "conservative" enough to not be too much at risk for a turnover, with Schaub never really being in trouble and making the right decisions to throw the ball away if there was nobody open. But the playcalling got ultra-conservative way too early in the 4th, IMO. I just think the offense needs to learn to string together a few first downs by not just trying to run the ball down the other team's throat, as this game should have been put away long before it was officially over. We just dominated the Raiders too much for it to only be a 1 possession game.

Thoughts?

2. Section516

Section516 Warrior

You know what, I agree. Lets sling the ball way down there to our playing-at-40% superstar TE, our 2nd string WR lined against the best CB in the league, along with our fourth string WR. We played the way we had to in order to win. Can't go for big plays when you have no one to catch the ball.

buddyboy and dc_txtech like this.
  3. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

This has been Kubiak in the past though, he gets super conservative when he has a lead, instead of continuing to run what was working.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think the reason we got ultra conservative is because we were basically down to 2 receivers - KW and DA.

5. Section516

Section516 Warrior

I give a pass for this game. Only problem i had with play calling was the 3rd and 5 with Ward.

6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

With about 8 mins left in the 4th, we got the ball and had a 10 point lead. The play call was run, pass (incomplete), pass(incomplete). They took about 45 seconds off the clock, which was idiotic. Just run, run, run when you're up in the 4th! Our run game was doing so well at the time, why bother with the passes when you're just playing against the clock? Every first down should equal 2 minutes off the clock.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

8. mokalus

mokalus Rookie

Again, I'm not trying to sound like an ingrate, and I hate to bring up the decision to punt against the Redskins as that's been beaten to death, but I just get the feeling that although Kubiak says he is "trusting in the defense," he's essentially just playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

And I know we won both games, and trust me, I'm real happy we did, but it's just not a trend that is too encouraging going forward. I guess I'm just not in the "we won so it was the right decision" boat, but hey, if you feel strongly otherwise, we can agree to disagree. Just wanted to see if anybody else was worried about this.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

:clap:

10. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Come on Bill/JB I know you guys had to be going WTF when this was going on I was doing the same. We all know Kubiak gets ultra conservative when he's ahead, but this just doesn't make any sense to me, especially this late in the game.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Our running game was averaging 6+ yards per carry, and it was the 4th quarter. Run it down there throats

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The difference from the past is shutting down the passing game and shiftying to a running game which wasn't working v. sticking with a running game which was working. We have the highest rushing 1st down % in the league. So ball means continue with what was working.

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

It was conservative but it was also very important to do because it caused Oakland to use one of their time outs so that they only had two left on offense while we still had all 3. It was a play for percentage call because if Ward gets the 1st down, which he almost did, Oakland was going to have to start burning all their timeouts.

We didn't have any real playmakers at WR in there, so our chances of converting were probably just as low as if we ran it. Why risk the turnover, give it to the veteran RB who was also averaging about 5 ypc. If he gets it game over, if not we get Oakland to burn a timeout.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

My problem was that we weren't conservative enough.

We threw when we should have been running. We should have just pounded the ball.

Now, on the punt in OT... I had no problem with the punt. You don't kick a field goal in that situation and going for it on 4th would have been a little bit crazy. But again, I thought we played away from our strength in that series. We threw when we should have been pounding the ball.

I've said this in another thread, I think Kubiak and Dennison are struggling with their mind-set. They still think of this as a pass-first team, a team that sets up the run with the pass, and we aren't that team any more. We are now a run-first team.

15. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Hey, JB. Time for your "GIANTS SUCK!" license plate! :D

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Just ask the Skins about slingin it around with a lead.

17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

this. the way we were running, we shouldnt have bothered with a single pass in the 4th quarter ... i had some especially choice words towards the TV for the run for 5 yards, incomplete, incomplete series that dutch mentioned. all 3 of our backs were productive and foster was just abusing the raiders, and getting ward and slaton carries more touches on first and second downs would've been great for them. also, we should obviously be protecting schaub while he's without his top 2 weapons.

i wasnt a fan of the playcalling in the 4th.

18. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

When u got the lead RUN DA BALL and kill tha clock ........

19. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I agree that the smart move is to run the ball here, but no matter which poison pill Kubiak chooses he'll be blasted by half the fans if they don't make it.

20. mokalus

mokalus Rookie

I just don't like Kubiak's usual mindset of playing not to lose rather than playing to win. I hope it's not a trend that continues to later on in the season when it might not always work out for the team, but I've been impressed with the playcalling overall this year, with a few exceptions.

Either way, I gotta go back to watching Brian Cushing highlights for the rest of the week. Go Texans.