Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Players whose contracts are about to be up

hradhak

Veteran
I cant find no stats on all the FB in the NFL this year i wonder were Leech ranks ?????????
You won't because FB generates almost no stats if he's not a runner.
Leach's value gets diminished somewhat since many teams in the league don't use a dedicated FB anymore and just line up a TE in the backfield for max protect. I think that means he can be signed for a reasonable contract, and I'd take it.

I'm fine with letting JJ go. Bentley is good for depth. Ditto Cody.
And yeah Diles is expendable. Sharpton is playing well enough that I don't see a reason to keep Diles around.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
You won't because FB generates almost no stats if he's not a runner.
Leach's value gets diminished somewhat since many teams in the league don't use a dedicated FB anymore and just line up a TE in the backfield for max protect. I think that means he can be signed for a reasonable contract, and I'd take it.
Correct that FB's don't generate individual stats. A good FB generates stats for his RB or QB and Leach has done that.

Leach was signed to a contract to be the highest paid FB in the league at the time. He'll never make WR money but he is very well paid.

False Start

On # 69
2010:

Vonta Leach - Definitely bring back the Leachness Monster!
Kevin Bentley - Would like to have him back, hes been a pleasant surprise.
Shaun Cody - Bring him back, but as depth, not as a starter.
Jacoby Jones - Peace
Kasey Studdard - Adios
Zach Diles - Bring him back as depth.
Arian Foster - Of course!
Tim Jamison - Once again, as depth, or PS.
That would be what I would like to see happen.

As far as OD, I wanna see what he can do over these last three games before I make a decision.

barrett

All Pro
The good news in all of this is everyone we would want to have return can be had at a very good value. There are no back breaking fullback deals. Foster can be tendered for at least two more years (CBA dependent). Daniels injury plagued contract year. (This one is a best case scenario for us. Not for Daniels of course, but as far as Houston getting an explosive TE cheaper than he would have been two years ago. Don't be fooled by his slow season and drops on MNF. Hamstring injuries are common when a player is coming off a knee injury. They over compensate regularly. When fully healthy, Daniels is going to be a great value.

Keep in mind, all the defensive moves will be dependent on the new DC. AND THERE WILL BE A NEW DC. hehe.. right? Jamison would be a tender, Cody has been the most consistent DL outside of A. Smith. He's not a bank breaker either. At best case, he's cheap depth. I expect a philosophy change up front with a new DC. More traditional, bigger DT's.

Rey

Correct that FB's don't generate individual stats. A good FB generates stats for his RB or QB and Leach has done that.

Leach was signed to a contract to be the highest paid FB in the league at the time. He'll never make WR money but he is very well paid.
Pretty much...

And that's a good point on leach already having a nice contract. Makes little sense to let him walk

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Keep Leach and Foster. Everyone else is a very replaceable role player.

With Tate, Ward, and Slaton on the roster, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Texans attempt to trade Foster if he gets the franchise tag. Maybe there is a Portis-for-Champ trade out there.

Texas T

Veteran
Keep Leach and Foster. Everyone else is a very replaceable role player.

With Tate, Ward, and Slaton on the roster, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Texans attempt to trade Foster if he gets the franchise tag. Maybe there is a Portis-for-Champ trade out there.
I would definitely be surprised, they've been looking for a running game and outside of Slaton's first year, it has been non-existent. Also Foster can be tendered for two years (please correct me if I'm wrong about that) so he can be had relatively cheap, if McNair decides to spend money in other ways (DC anyone??).
I do see them trade/release Slaton this off season. Next year will be Foster-Tate-Ward...Nice!

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I agree with the posters who would be shocked if Foster got traded. I'm absolutely sure they have no idea what kind of player Tate is going to be, and to get rid of your stud right after his most studly year seems a little short sighted.

I think Daniels presents the most interesting case. While his season has been really bad, there have been plenty of players who have come back from the same injury as him, had a down year after the injury and then were perfectly fine the year after. I do think a few teams will still try to make a run at him, but I don't think it'll be as back breaking to our cap to try to keep him as it would've been last year or the year before.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It happened a couple of weeks ago if I'm not mistaken...

I think Zach got injured and Sharpton had to spell him...Well, Sharpton did so well according to Kubiak, that he remained the starter...

I believe it's his spot to lose now.
I've said from day one that if the Texans wanted a heavy duty solid LB group, they should go with Cushing-Demeco-and Sharpton.
I was willing to give him a limited number of snaps at the start of the season as I know that Diles didn't do poorly last year except that he's another liability in coverage.

Sharpton has played well in very game he's been in.
He's solid in all phases of the game as you can hope any rookie LB third rounder can be (a good value as Quin was at his spot.)

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
If we let Jacoby Jones go, he'll land on another team and be a star player.

That's not a vote of confidence for JJ, nor do I think that highly of him, it's just the way things happen around here.

Rey

If we let Jacoby Jones go, he'll land on another team and be a star player.

That's not a vote of confidence for JJ, nor do I think that highly of him, it's just the way things happen around here.
If this staff is still around next year, I don't think they will let Jacoby walk...

That is also the way things go around here...