Players who should get cut next year

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TwoTrill, Jan 7, 2010.

1. TwoTrill

TwoTrill Rookie

Andre Davis
    Shaun Cody
    Chris/Kris Brown
    Chris Myers
    Kasey Studdard
    Rex Grossman
    Dan Orlosvky
    John Busing
    Nick Ferguson
    Fred Bennett

2. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Disagree with Cody, Myers, and Studdard. Cody hasn't been terrible this year and he should be kept for the dline rotation. Myers and Studdard should be backups to the new C and G we pick up (please god). Also we should probably keep at least one of our backup QBs so we don't have to bring in a new one who will spend all year learning again.

3. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Based on what replacements? If we can't find someone better at those positions for a reasonable price (which isn't easy), there's no reason to cut them.

And some of those guys listed provide good depth for cheap, like Shaun Cody.

4. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

Here are my thoughts...

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

my responses above

6. No More 8-8's

No More 8-8's Veteran

its probably time for antwan molden to go to. i really wanted him to succeed but he needs a change of scenery.

7. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

My Takes...

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

My thoughts bolded.

10. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Andre Davis - keep
    Shaun Cody - keep
    Chris/Kris Brown - cut both
    Chris Myers - keep
    Kasey Studdard - cut
    Rex Grossman - keep
    Dan Orlosvky - keep
    John Busing - depends on draft
    Nick Ferguson - depends on draft/Wilson
    Fred Bennett - cut

Why are we keeping Kris Brown? Are we too loyal to cut him? We need to bring in some kickers this offseason. And Chris Brown needs to be gone just as quickly. The only Brown that stays is Duane. ;)

11. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Ugh. You don't cut a somewhat decent starter who is not being paid big money.

That's depth, fellas. Something we need.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  12. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I'm not saying I like it, but it seems pretty likely that Frank Okam will be gone.

13. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Dan Orlovsky is so over paid it makes my head spin. I get that we paid him so much as insurance because we weren't sure about Schaub this year, but, he's not worth what we're paying him. There's got to be an out somewhere in that contract. He's gotta go.

14. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Pretty good list to start from above.

I freaked out when I looked at David Anderson's salary on rotoworld and saw he was making $2.3 million a year.... and then realized it was the Rocket's DA. LOL In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind replacing him with a rookie that can do the same thing but has more of a big play ability. DA will be making $1.17MM and $1.44M in '10 and '11, respectively. That's for someone who averages 2.5 catches a game for 24 yds. 0 Tds on the year. I love 'em and his humor but I've gotten into business mode, finally.

I think just about everyone on this team could (and I stress could) be with us going into training camp. A lot of people just want to flat out cut them and get someone new (change for the sake of change). I'm totally against that mindset if the player isn't detrimental to the team [insert C/Kris Brown joke here]. We gotta upgrade the position, not just get someone new.

Also with this being an uncapped year, we're not totally tied down to a player's salary. We can get rid of some bad contracts. Ironically, we really don't have too many because Rick Smith has done an outstanding job.

Andre Davis is the only one that stands out to me. Cash-wise, the Organization will still have to eat about $4MM but his salary for 2010 and 2011 is $2.55MM and $4.7MM, respectively. Done.

Fred Bennett - this is his last year of his contract and he's making $550K, keep him, let him battle and see if he makes the team or not. I think he's got a ton of potential and I'm hoping he comes back strong from a sophomore slump.

Kris Brown - bring in another kicker(s) to compete for the job. If he wins it, bring him back but I'm not quick to cut him even though I'm really disappointed with him this year. Make him see a sports-psychologist.

John Busing - has to be making next to nothing. No reason to cut him until we find a safety we want to replace him. Nick Ferguson is a FA.

Shaun Cody - making $1MM this last year on his contract. I'd keep him as a rotational guy.

Frank Okam - this guy has GOT to step up for us. He's cheap for the next two years so he's probably making it to camp unless the coaches just don't see him progressing.

Chris Myers - I see no reason to cut him. I want Caldwell to win the starting C job, I want us to draft an OG early and also pick up a starting calibre OG in FA. As much as people don't want to hear it, we'd be screwed if we cut Myers due to our OL situation right now.

Kasey Studdard - Cheap as dirt $550K next year (final year of contract). He's on the team until we fill the OL with better back ups. No reason to cut him before camp.

Dan Orlovsky - signed a 3-year $9MM contract last year with $2.4MM guaranteed. That means he's a high salary guy that's probably making $2MM - $3MM a year for 2010 - 2011. If they can find a QB they like to replace him, do it. If Bill Musgrave comes in as OC, it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to bring Chris Redman with him (free agent this year).

Chris Brown - I like going into next season with Slaton, Foster, ROOKIE, Jeremiah Johnson. CB can go. He's a free agent so he probably won't be spending much time on Kirby.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  15. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    mine

16. houstonspartan

I'm confused. How do you upgrade a position without bringing in someone new?

Look, I like Kris Brown. Nice guy. But, we really don't have time for him to go see a shrink and hope he gets his psychological issues worked out. We just don't. That job is too important to take chances, especially next year.

Frankly, I'm also not a fan of the "bring someone in to compete with him" strategy. I don't trust these coaches. I honestly think that if they bring someone in to compete with him, Kris Brown will get the job regardless of the other guy's performance.

Again, I like Kris, but it may be time to just release him.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The point is you don't decide to cut players in a vacuum as you can't know you are making an upgrade until you have a specific player that you will believe will be an upgrade to replace them. For example it doesn't make sense to say cut Cody until you have found someone better. Guy is cheap and good depth.

18. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'd like to stress the word just. "not JUST bring someone in new." - Ceteris Paribus, you don't cut a C player and bring in a C player. That's changing for the sake of change... not necessarily upgrading. That goes for every position. Just because you bring in someone new and replaced someone that stunk it up for you... doesn't mean the new guy won't stink it up more!

19. houstonspartan

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

That makes sense, for the most part. I don't think that would apply to Kris Brown, though. I really don't think it would be all that hard to find a kicker better than he.

20. houstonspartan

Well, sure. And that also doesn't mean the new guy won't be fantastic. You don't know what someone is going to do until they get here and are in an actual game situation. But, that doesn't mean you don't at least TRY and upgrade.

There are no gurantees. Especially in sports. Settling for a average player because the next guy MIGHT be just as average doesn't get us anywhere.