Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Players to watch for 2018 draft

badboy

Hall of Fame
These are a few that I will be watching and guidelines I am going by. First I am not considering any trade ups as we still have too many needs [as I see them] and IMO the needs we have as of now can be addressed without trades. I am looking for guys available around the 25th pick in each of rounds realizing there is always escalator going up and down. *note many mocks and other sites you may use for source info do not make many changes for first 3-4 weeks into season. I will make adjustments on this thread frequently (I hope) and will at some point add other rounds as I have players on my board already. Players with * are my current mock.

Round 3 approx pick 89 plus comp pick:

*QB Mike White Western Kentucky 6'3" 215 2016 stats: 280/416 67.3 %, 4,363 yds, @ 10.5, 37 TDs, 4 INTs

*LT/RT Chukwuma Okorafor Western Michigan 6'5" 333 2015 started RT 13 games 2016 LT 13 games. He could move up in rankings.

OG Larry Allen Harvard
OLB Marquis Haynes Ole Miss May not be here. Some info I have some consider him a DE "heat-seeking missile with natural pass rushing skills". His bull rush was successful vs Cam Robinson and Roderick Johnson but still needs to increase strength and perform better vs run.

OLB Chad Thomas Miami
OLB Josh Sweat Florida St I like this kid

CB Carlton Davis

Round 4 approx pick 120

* OLB Mike McCray Michigan 6'4" 248 2016 2 INTs, 75 Ts, 13 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, 4 QBs, 6 PBUs,1 forced fumble, 1TD

ILB Josey Jewell Iowa I could see him as our pick. 6'2" 230 amazing stats for 2015 and 2016 started 24 games MLB

OB Josh Sweat Florida St
CB Kareem Orr Arizona State

Reactions: JB
I'm really not big on keeping track of college players, but I'll check on ILB Otaro Alaka at A&M because my son was also an LB at Cy Falls at the same time.

Reactions: JB
The 2018 draft?

Do the Texans have any picks and how great is Ricky McNair at picking in the 3rd/4th rd?

You have a better track record in the 3rd/4th rd than Ricky does.

This is going to be a very frustrating upcoming draft season with us not having a pick until the 3rd round. Tons of really good players we will have zero shot at acquiring. On top of that, it's incredibly hard to project mid-round guys this early in the process. Many of them are going to break out and become 1st-2nd round guys while many others will not realize their potential and will drop.

Here's a sort of watch list I have for mid-round guys I've flagged going into the season.

QB - Mike White, Western Kentucky
QB - Logan Woodside, Toledo
RB - Kalen Ballage, Arizona State
RB - Lavon Coleman, Washington
RB - Ralph Webb, Vanderbilt
APB - Justin Jackson, Northwestern
APB - Akrum Wadley, Iowa
WR - Allen Lazard, Iowa State
SLOT - Devonte Boyd, UNLV
SLOT - Shay Fields, Colorado
SLOT - Janarion Grant, Rutgers
TE - Adam Breneman, UMass
TE - Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin
OT - Zachary Crabtree, Oklahoma State
OT - Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State
OT - Bentley Spain, North Carolina
OG - Wyatt Teller, Virginia Tech
C - Frank Ragnow, Arkansas

DE - Drew Bailey, Louisville
DE - Andrew Brown, Virginia
DT - Folorunso Fatukasi, UConn
DT - B.J. Hill, NC State
EDGE - Luke Carrezola, UConn
EDGE - Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest
EDGE - K.J. Smith, Baylor
ILB - Nyles Morgan, Notre Dame
ILB - Tegray Scales, Indiana
ROVER - Travin Howard, TCU
ROVER - Skai Moore, South Carolina
CB - Brandon Facyson, Virginia Tech
CB - Rashard Fant, Indiana
S - Godwin Igwebuike, Northwestern
S - Jamar Summers, UConn
S - Donovan Wilson, Texas A&M

This is going to be a very frustrating upcoming draft season with us not having a pick until the 3rd round. Tons of really good players we will have zero shot at acquiring. On top of that, it's incredibly hard to project mid-round guys this early in the process. Many of them are going to break out and become 1st-2nd round guys while many others will not realize their potential and will drop.

Here's a sort of watch list I have for mid-round guys I've flagged going into the season.

QB - Mike White, Western Kentucky
QB - Logan Woodside, Toledo
RB - Kalen Ballage, Arizona State
RB - Lavon Coleman, Washington
RB - Ralph Webb, Vanderbilt
APB - Justin Jackson, Northwestern
APB - Akrum Wadley, Iowa
WR - Allen Lazard, Iowa State
SLOT - Devonte Boyd, UNLV
SLOT - Shay Fields, Colorado
SLOT - Janarion Grant, Rutgers
TE - Adam Breneman, UMass
TE - Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin
OT - Zachary Crabtree, Oklahoma State
OT - Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State
OT - Bentley Spain, North Carolina
OG - Wyatt Teller, Virginia Tech
C - Frank Ragnow, Arkansas

DE - Drew Bailey, Louisville
DE - Andrew Brown, Virginia
DT - Folorunso Fatukasi, UConn
DT - B.J. Hill, NC State
EDGE - Luke Carrezola, UConn
EDGE - Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest
EDGE - K.J. Smith, Baylor
ILB - Nyles Morgan, Notre Dame
ILB - Tegray Scales, Indiana
ROVER - Travin Howard, TCU
ROVER - Skai Moore, South Carolina
CB - Brandon Facyson, Virginia Tech
CB - Rashard Fant, Indiana
S - Godwin Igwebuike, Northwestern
S - Jamar Summers, UConn
S - Donovan Wilson, Texas A&M

Thanks for the list.

I'm really not looking forward to next yrs draft.

Especially given Ricky's 3-4th rd track record.

But hey, we get the joy of watching Watson's growing pains this season.

The 2018 draft?

Do the Texans have any picks and how great is Ricky McNair at picking in the 3rd/4th rd?

You have a better track record in the 3rd/4th rd than Ricky does.
I think part of this is expectations. In most cases, I want 1st round picks to start immediately or pretty darn soon. QB & LT are the exception in most years. 2nd round should start or be able to start during first season. 3rd round guys should be starter or able to start no later than beginning of third season; these are players that should be working with goal of replacing the starter at their position. This is where your post comes in. So much expectation and (injury also plays part here) so far not much. Rounds 4-5 should be guys that are really good or solid depth but many don't accomplish that. I don't get too upset on busts here but a large majority should at least earn their pay checks. 6-7 are trade up options or "lightning strikes".

I still don't get the 2016 picks round three and four. This draft I think RB Foreman can be a franchise type player despite having Miller in front of him. He is definitely a back up that will push the starter. 4th rounder Davenport should be ready to replace Duane Brown when time for him to go. I'll be surprised if DB completes this contract regardless if he gets extension. I'm focusing on years not his dollars. Davenport is one of those 4 ths that can be a starter quicker than most.

4.b Carlos Watkins is going to be the surprise in the box of Cracker Jacks. As in college when he waited his turn behind Clemson's front four, he will wait a bit behind Texans defensive line. His agility, athletic ability will surprise many including opponents. Mark this, Clemson's Deshawn Watson will get most of the "talk" next two seasons but keeping in mind where each was drafted, the guy just above him on 2016 Clemson's roster will make his name known also. While he improves his strength, Vrable will find ways to put him where his speed and skills will make him successful and eventually into a star.

These three players will improve Smith's reputation in the third and fourth rounds.

WF, I was very interested in Skai Moore prior to his neck injury and resulting fusion. I am really trying to avoid this type of player. He is not only fortunate to be back on field but has an entire season to win fans among scouts and GMs. I also like safety Godwin Igwebuikeke

Okay so what's so great about Josh Rosen again? Because I'm watching him against Tamu and frankly I'm not seeing it.. They were calling him the "best pure pocket passer in college football" before the game started and I'm not seeing that either.

Okay so what's so great about Josh Rosen again? Because I'm watching him against Tamu and frankly I'm not seeing it.. They were calling him the "best pure pocket passer in college football" before the game started and I'm not seeing that either.

It's because he looks the part. The same reason scouts hated Tom Brady is the same reason they love Josh Rosen. I've been saying for over a year now that he's the next Ryan Leaf. Has the "physical tools" but lacks the mentality/attitude and the work ethic to do anything with them.

I think part of this is expectations. In most cases, I want 1st round picks to start immediately or pretty darn soon. QB & LT are the exception in most years. 2nd round should start or be able to start during first season. 3rd round guys should be starter or able to start no later than beginning of third season; these are players that should be working with goal of replacing the starter at their position. This is where your post comes in. So much expectation and (injury also plays part here) so far not much. Rounds 4-5 should be guys that are really good or solid depth but many don't accomplish that. I don't get too upset on busts here but a large majority should at least earn their pay checks. 6-7 are trade up options or "lightning strikes".

I still don't get the 2016 picks round three and four. This draft I think RB Foreman can be a franchise type player despite having Miller in front of him. He is definitely a back up that will push the starter. 4th rounder Davenport should be ready to replace Duane Brown when time for him to go. I'll be surprised if DB completes this contract regardless if he gets extension. I'm focusing on years not his dollars. Davenport is one of those 4 ths that can be a starter quicker than most.

4.b Carlos Watkins is going to be the surprise in the box of Cracker Jacks. As in college when he waited his turn behind Clemson's front four, he will wait a bit behind Texans defensive line. His agility, athletic ability will surprise many including opponents. Mark this, Clemson's Deshawn Watson will get most of the "talk" next two seasons but keeping in mind where each was drafted, the guy just above him on 2016 Clemson's roster will make his name known also. While he improves his strength, Vrable will find ways to put him where his speed and skills will make him successful and eventually into a star.

These three players will improve Smith's reputation in the third and fourth rounds.
Watkins wouldn't be on this team if I were gm. He showed nothing in preseason games. Must of been impressive in camp.

Not at all. When did Watkins do anything in any of the preseason games?
Mussop I respect you man but that is just silly. He rarely played with starters and just had weeks to adjust to NFL and playbook. I cannot believe I'm even replying on this one. Has any top 12 drafted player been cut after preseason?

Guess I spoke too soon huh :)

I think now we know why.

Protect Rosen and he has great accuracy and poise when it counts.

Darnold will be picked #1.

I sure wish the Texans would've waited to make a move in the 2018 draft for their QB of the future.

# Aggies gonna Aggie

Last edited:
Guess I spoke too soon huh :)

Ehh this is all on Sumlin. He put his backups in halfway through the 3rd quarter and Rosen carved them up. Then he tried to put his starters back in late when they were already cold from sitting on the bench and they gassed right out of the gate. 2 of those TD's should have been picked off but A&M's defenders were just walking around in a daze that whole quarter. Guys running around wide open all over the place.

This game is the poster for why you don't call the dogs off. And it probably gets Sumlin fired.

That A&M defense started scoreboard watching and then when he got into a rhythm it was over.. gee where's that damn ceptor those morons were dancing with now? Why the hell was something like that even on the sideline to begin with? What clowns the Aggies are seriously...you haven't done **** in decades.. why the hell do you have ceptors on the damn sideline? That's why the Aggies are the Aggies.

Mussop I respect you man but that is just silly. He rarely played with starters and just had weeks to adjust to NFL and playbook. I cannot believe I'm even replying on this one. Has any top 12 drafted player been cut after preseason?
Not Watson. Carlos Watkins - Defensive Tackle -

Not Watson. Carlos Watkins - Defensive Tackle -
dang mussop big "me sorry". I read that as Watson more than once. I need to stop this addiction and get some sleep. Apologize again and thanks for patience in correcting me rather than just letting it go. I get your point on Watkins but he has too much ceiling (not allowed to say potential anymore..lol) he has to get more time to develop. He was crazy good in college (I get that this is NFL) and played all over the dline. He could end up being the steal of this draft

dang mussop big "me sorry". I read that as Watson more than once. I need to stop this addiction and get some sleep. Apologize again and thanks for patience in correcting me rather than just letting it go. I get your point on Watkins but he has too much ceiling (not allowed to say potential anymore..lol) he has to get more time to develop. He was crazy good in college (I get that this is NFL) and played all over the dline. He could end up being the steal of this draft
I hope you're right but he was outplayed by guys that were cut.

Rosen gets credit for his poise and grit in that comeback. And he made some great throws.

But he also had multiple passes that a high school defense would have picked off that somehow the Aggies let go for huge gains, two of them for TDs. UCLA played that fourth quarter against air. I'm flabbergasted actually, that a defense full of athletes of that caliber could look so bad for such an extended period.

It's because he looks the part. The same reason scouts hated Tom Brady is the same reason they love Josh Rosen. I've been saying for over a year now that he's the next Ryan Leaf. Has the "physical tools" but lacks the mentality/attitude and the work ethic to do anything with them.
Agree

I thought Rosen had a very good game, if not great. Playing from that far behind, you have to give the QB the green signal to try to make something happen. Totally disagree with the part about HS defense picking up the INT.
That one ball was hard and high; the DB was running full speed to catch up to the receiver. Great effort by him, but no mean an easy ball to intercept.
There was at least 84 plays for the defense; that's a lot of snaps; teams rotate players all the time.
That's an NFL-caliber performance to me.

Lamar Jackson looks more sturdy; he must have gained some good weight.
Overcame 3 fumbles and 10 penalties (false start and illegal snap).
Look to have improved his passing game. The offense still let him run way too much; it's not easy to project his game to the next level though.

I dont know about that, he had a bad yr last yr because he was playing injured and UCLA doesn't have alot of talent around him. I haven't read anything disparaging about Rosen's work ethic. His best football could be ahead of him.

I also don't see a whole bunch of GM's ahead of Smith in regards to successful 3-4 rounders.

interesting as at least on this MB, Smith is considered a failure with round three picks.
This is an entertaining read.
I notice our worst pick is a third rounder, while most others it is a first rounder.
I also note that the majority of teams best pick is a first rounder with very few past the second.
This website rightly gives Smith credit for taking the best player in the last 5 years.

I notice our worst pick is a third rounder, while most others it is a first rounder.
I also note that the majority of teams best pick is a first rounder with very few past the second.
This website rightly gives Smith credit for taking the best player in the last 5 years.
you might keep it saved as that is an ongoing debate around here. You should be able to post it another 20 or so times in the next year or two.

Interesting to note that we are the only team in the top 15 with only 1 probowler

How low would Smith be ranked if Watt was just an 'average' #11 pick?

Interesting to note that we are the only team in the top 15 with only 1 probowler

How low would Smith be ranked if Watt was just an 'average' #11 pick?
If your aunty had balls, she would be your uncle.
He has done well with all his first rounders - perhaps Hopkins would still have him in the top ten or better.
How soon people forget Arian Foster, AJ Bouye and Andre Hal.

He has done well with all his first rounders - perhaps Hopkins would still have him in the top ten or better.

How insightful. I wasn't forgetting anyone or making any comment other than in regards to the article.

If Hopkins was going to push him higher wouldn't it have done so?

Geesh everyone takes everything so personal now a days

How insightful. I wasn't forgetting anyone or making any comment other than in regards to the article.

Like you, I was merely posting facts.

No she'd be my rich auntie/uncle after suing you or someone for outing her on a public message board.

Which players should the Houston Texans be scouting for our #1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft? The #1 overall pick in the third round I should say! I almost forgot the Browns have our first and second-round picks in this draft class. :pissed:

Which players should the Houston Texans be scouting for our #1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft? The #1 overall pick in the third round I should say! I almost forgot the Browns have our first and second-round picks in this draft class. :pissed:

Doesn't really matter Ricky isn't really good with 3rd rd picks.

Keep an eye on Northwestern QB Clayton Thorson.

He had a very rough game against Duke but I liked him a lot last year. He's only a junior so he may not declare.

I like him a lot more than Josh Allen right now.

Walterfootball has Clemson LT Mitch Hyatt listed as a 2nd-4th round selection. Sure would be nice to put him back on Watson's blindside, as Hyatt is arguably the top performing LT in the NCAA over the last few seasons. He lacks elite length so I guess it is possible he could slide, but not sure he would leave if not a 1st round lock. He can't really do much more than he has already done at Clemson though, he is not going to get any taller or grow longer arms.

Watched Oregon vs California today

Tyrell Crosby had a really good game.

If he falls to the 3rd I would pick him. In fact I would trade into the bottom of the 2nd for him.

If he falls to the 3rd I would pick him. In fact I would trade into the bottom of the 2nd for him.

As of 11/11 Walterfootball has Crosby projected to go in the 3rd to 5th round. He has been invited to the Senior Bowl so that might move him up if he does well. If the Texans like him enough maybe they won't have to trade up to get him. But, usually when a good OT falls to the 3rd round it means there's something wrong with him (Too slow, short arms, bad bowl game, injury, etc...) or, the OT class is stacked with good players pushing some to the 3rd and 4th rounds. This is not supposed to be a "stacked" OT class so if Crosby does go in the 3rd round it's probably be because he didn't have a great Senior Bowl or Combine, or he has something wrong with his measurable's, otherwise he will probably go in the 1st or 2nd round.

As of 11/11 Walterfootball has Crosby projected to go in the 3rd to 5th round. He has been invited to the Senior Bowl so that might move him up if he does well. If the Texans like him enough maybe they won't have to trade up to get him. But, usually when a good OT falls to the 3rd round it means there's something wrong with him (Too slow, short arms, bad bowl game, injury, etc...) or, the OT class is stacked with good players pushing some to the 3rd and 4th rounds. This is not supposed to be a "stacked" OT class so if Crosby does go in the 3rd round it's probably be because he didn't have a great Senior Bowl or Combine, or he has something wrong with his measurable's, otherwise he will probably go in the 1st or 2nd round.

All of the guys I like usually move up a rd or 2 by the time the draft actually happens. After watching Crosby I expect this to happen again. ( He's really good) The only reason these sites have him falling to the 3rd rd is because he tore an ACL last yr I believe. He's been very good this yr even though Oregon lost it's QB and has generally sucked this year.

All of the guys I like usually move up a rd or 2 by the time the draft actually happens. After watching Crosby I expect this to happen again. ( He's really good) The only reason these sites have him falling to the 3rd rd is because he tore an ACL last yr I believe. He's been very good this yr even though Oregon lost it's QB and has generally sucked this year.

Yep, the cream always rises to the top! If he's that good he'll be gone by the 1st round.

Back