Players I could live with in the first round

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kiwitexansfan, Mar 19, 2010.

1. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

These are the people I would like to see called for us in the first round. I've listed them in order of my preference. (subject to change at a moments notice)

Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Eric Berry - surely not going to be there at 20 but I would be stoked to have any of them.

Earl Thomas - He'd be the best safety we've ever had the moment he stepped on the field.... kind of sad really.

CJ Spiller - I love his explosive potential, a game changer.

Joe Haden - A good cover cornerback.... haven't seen one of those since Aaron Glenn....

Kyle Wilson - Another good cover corner with ball skills, yes please.

Taylor Mays - POTENTIAL plus... Cushing believes in him... I think his down year reflected lack of talent around him and him trying to fill the hole and getting sloppy because of it...

Ryan Matthews - Good vision, power, ball security. Lacks a bit of long speed but should be productive.

Brian Price - I really like a DT who can disrupt up the middle. If you can get your front four generating pressure it gives you more coverage options.

Sergio Kindle - What can I say, I love pass rushers. I don't know if he can play on the other side of Demeco and Cushing, but I would love to see him given a chance, if not he can join Williams and Barwin in a QB terrorising rotation.

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

3. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

for me, it'd be these guys.

Earl Thomas
    CJ Spiller
    Joe Haden
    Kyle Wilson

maybe, maybe taylor mays. and i dont really like drafting rbs in the first round, when we still need more work on defesne. im a longhorn fan btw, but do we really need sergio kindle?

4. kiwitexansfan

Need, no. I think that an extra pass rusher and versatile defensive piece can't hurt though.....

And he'd be perfect for when we go back to the 3-4!! (dreams are free)

5. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

6. kiwitexansfan

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Being able to do those things as well is part of why he is often called a complete back.

Link

8. kiwitexansfan

Hmmm I read this...

Pass Catching: Only 19 career receptions. Was often taken off the field on passing downs. Does not have a lot of experience running routes. Rare to see the ball thrown his way.

Pass Blocking: Does not have as much experience as a pass blocker as you would like. However he is capable. Shows aggression and strength when stepping to defend the blitz. Willing to stick his hat in there. Does not hold a block well, basically a one pop blocker.

19 catches is a pretty small sample size

9. infantrycak

Small sample sizes are one of the reasons scouts watch the bowl games and drills at the combine where new coaches can ask players to do things they may not have been called on to do a lot by their school's coach.

10. kiwitexansfan

I guess I'd like to see a player show it when it counts rather than when they are wearing shorts

11. infantrycak

That's why I mentioned bowl games. Even your link said he was a powerful blocker. Sticking with a block is a coachable issue.

12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I Like Matthews a lot. Does anyone think Spiller is going to be a Reggie Bust instead of Walter Payton? The guy's kinda smallish 5-10 190something for an every down back in the NFL.

13. infantrycak

So was Tony Dorsett. The running style is more important than the size. Reggie was a dancer which I think is one of the main reasons the Texans didn't take him. His instincts are wrong for this system.

14. kiwitexansfan

I don't envision him as an every down back, he is a strike weapon in the run, pass and return game.

I think between he, Slaton and Foster we can carry the load.

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

That's true enough, also, no one really uses a 1 back system anymore. They had him on Sirius NFL radio yesterday and he sounds like a great kid. I really don't know much about him at all, though, which is why I asked.

16. kiwitexansfan

He has a bit of power and doesn't run away from contact like Bush did.

Same moves and break away speed though.

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Cushing had immediate impact, could not practice yet was everydown LB. Mathews in Kubiak/Dennison system is a three down back, only spell him to rest/keep fresh. enter Slaton, Foster.

From everything I've seen Ryan catches the ball naturally, very fluid. Texans want to really improve running game (helps play action & keeps Schaub upright) he's the quickest solution.

I'm very sensitive to comments comparing Spiller with Bush. They are not at all alike (what, just because they both have speed & play RB?) Reggie is a slasher, avoids contact, uses vision to find space & out run pursuit to angles. Spiller is more stout/compact, patient cut-back inside-out runner with large hands (helps receiving & ball control) considered by some a better prospect comng ot of College than Chris Johnson which is who he should be compared to. I could live with either in first rd.

BL

18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

The problem with Spiller is, he wont be available. Matthews is really the only feasible option for first round running back.

19. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I agree with you Kiwi. I could live with one of mentioned players.

Go Texans!!!

20. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I'd be nervous/excited about Taylor Mays. So much potential...but just as much of a potential bust.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010