Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Player synopsis

Paul31

Practice Squad
Although, I have been an NFL fan for many years, I have obviously not been a Texans fan for long and my knowledge is limited.

It doesn't help that I live in England, although we do get quite a lot of coverage now compared to 15-20 years ago.

What I would like is a quick guide to our 53 man roster, just a quick synopsis of each player's strengths and weaknesses etc.

Can anyone provide links to anything like this, or if any of you guys have a lot of spare time, maybe you could post your own!

Thanks for your time

Paul

Hahahahahahaha!

Oh, they'll post their own all right. They'll post 'em and argue about them 'till dooms day. :fight:

I might throw in my opinions too when I have more time later.

Bye the way, welcome to the boards! :texflag:

I'm just sitting around, I'll see what I can do...

Quarterbacks

David Carr(Fresno State): Great arm, above average mobility. Needs to improve decision making and checking down to option outside of AJ and Davis. Was about middle of the pack last year but hopefully can move into the top 10 this year as far as overall stats.

Tony Banks(Michigan State): Veteran, has a good enough arm but below average mobility and is basically a journeyman.

Dave Ragone(Louisville): Young guy, showed a lot in NFL Europe and preseason, likely to be tradebait at some point. However hasn't really proved anything in regular season.

Runningbacks

Domanick Davis (LSU): Good vision and cutting ability. Has better power than expected when you first look at him, and is good at getting through arm tackles. Also a good receiver out of the backfield, but in some ways his profiency here has handicapped the offense. Also does not have the top end speed to really scare the secondary. Was a backup almost his entire tenure in college.

Vernand Morency(Oklahoma State): From what we've seen, great acceleration and incredible quickness to evade tacklers. Hard to tell what sort of power he really has at this point since we haven't seen a whole lot to go on and he usually just tries to dart around tacklers.

Jonathan Wells(Ohio State): One of the originals from the 2002 draft, has stuck around due to work ethic and special teams. He's a big guy at 6'1" 240 but really isn't the power back you might expect. Adequate #3 but will likely never be more than that. Also backs up the FB position.

Tony Hollings(Georgia Tech): Supplemental selection a couple years ago, only played four games at RB. Has good speed for a RB but hasn't shown the skills to be an everydown back. Doesn't run well between the tackles.

Moran Norris(Kansas): Fullback doesn't play a big role in the running or receiving attack, but has proven to be one of the best run blocking FBs in the league.

Tight Ends

Bennie Joppru (Michigan): Supposed to be our two-dimensional TE, he's continuously been hurt for three years in a row due to sports hernias and the latest being a torn ACL.

Mark Bruener(Washington): Veteran that has served as a blocking TE. Very few receptions in his career and really doesn't have the sure hands to be a good target. Considered one of the best blockers in the league though and that's been enough to keep him a job.

Matt Murphy(Maryland): Another blocker primarily, but showed he can catch too in the preseason. If Joppru can't get healthy he might be our best viable option for a two-way TE at this point.

Marcellus Rivers(Oklahoma State): I don't really know much about him, signed as a FA this year from NY Giants. Hasn't really done much but he's in the same mold as Matt Murphy at this point.

Wide Receivers

Andre Johnson(U of Miami): Freak of nature on the team. Pro Bowl in just his second season, likely the best overall player on the team. Incredible athletic ability for a 6'3" 220 lb receiver. Came in second at the NFL speed competition. One of the top track athletes during his time at Miami, but clearly a football player before track star. Hands have been his knock but he hasn't shown a tendency to drop a lot of passes.

Jabar Gaffney(Florida): From the 2002 draft, runs good routes and has some of the best hands on the team. Doesn't have the breakaway speed of AJ but is one of the best 3rd down possession receivers in the league.

Corey Bradford(Jackson State): Veteran WR and one of the fastest guys in the league, has problems sometimes getting open and running routes. His hands have also been in question but as far as league-wide, they have still been above average.

Derick Armstrong(Ark Monticello): Similar to Gaffney, has good size and hands and is a solid possession receiver. Was a star in the CFL (Canadian Football League) after being undrafted out of Arkansas-Monticello. Later came to the Texans and has been a decent player.

Jerome Mathis(Hampton): Rookie drafted in the 4th round. Registered one of the fastest 40 times in combine history at 4.28 on several watches. Only knocks were that he came from a small school/lesser competition, and he has proven wrong the doubts about his hands. Should be a big factor on kick returns.

I'm sure I left some things out and maybe even forgot someone, but I'm sure someone can add in. I'll do the offensive line next.

Ok, I was going to do offensive line, but doing all the skill positions sort of burned me out. I'll either do them later tonight/tomorrow or I'll pass the torch on to someone else for now.

Back