Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Player exodus due to lack of leadership

I was wondering if anyone could explain lack of leadership on the field...

Does this mean?
1) Players were missing their assignments and the "coach" on the field is supposed to get them playing to their assignment.
2) Players just were taking plays off and not giving all out effort
3) They were not making in-game adjustments as formations changed and the "field general" should put them in the correct spot.
4) They were not working out hard in the weight room?
5) They weren't appropriately preparing for games?

I just wonder if anyone can tell how you know there's no leadership. Which of these apply?

Haha You really do despise Rick Smith and Kubiak. I don't disagree with everything you say, but you are blinded by dislike some of the time as well. In my opinion, Kubiak makes a lot of the offensive draft decisions and has since he got here. And a lot of the defensive picks have been by the different defensive coaches. Richard Smith loved Okoye. Frank Bush loved Cushing (reminded him of Romanowski) and also wanted Kareem. Wade wanted Aldon Smith badly but got another player he wanted badly as well in Watt who has turned out even better than Smith. I also believe the coaches dictate what they want in free agency. I guarantee you Sherman was the one behind Ahman Green. I also guarantee you Wade and Vance Joseph were behind JJo and Manning. Joseph ranked JJo as the best DB of that particular free agent class. I'm not even sure what Rick really does to be honest. He probably just helps gather information, seeks out opinions, and then goes with what the consensus is from the top coaches and scouts. When it comes to the cap, they probably rely on their "cap expert" Olson. They are being stingy now because they know Watt, Cushing, and Kareem are coming up. Good luck signing them if you're constantly after free agents.

I dont despise Rick and Gary, I have said that last yr is the best coaching job Gary has had since becoming HC. I just want a team that does everything it can to try to win a Lombardi. So far in 7 yrs it doesn't seem like the Texans as an org are doing that. Since Rick is the GM he must bear the brunt of the blame. It's kinda sad that after 7 yrs nobody knows what Ricks role is. That is the definition of the teflon man. Nothing ever sticks to slick Rick.

Could the Texans have a better HC than Gary sure, but my question is how long do you give this regime to win a championship? They've been here in one form or another for 8 yrs. Do you give them 10? 20? How many? Ithink the avg GM/HC lifespan is 5 yrs.

Interesting how many posts in this thread are lambasting Barwin. A lot of people want to ignore the elephant in the room, which is that what he said was true.

Interesting how many posts in this thread are lambasting Barwin. A lot of people want to ignore the elephant in the room, which is that what he said was true.

The popular thing to do is bash the ex-Texan. Never been much of a peer pressure follower myself, but it is what is.

The popular thing to do is bash the ex-Texan. Never been much of a peer pressure follower myself, but it is what is.

You think there's peer pressure to bash former players? That's kind of silly. I haven't seen posters bashing Quin at all. Barwin was offered a pretty fair contract last season (similar to what he actually signed for this year), turned it down because he wanted more money then went out and had an extremely underwhelming season. Then, he effectively blames a lack of leadership as to why he underperformed. He's a professional athlete in a contract year, how much more motivation do you need? I don't know how you can be on the same field with a guy like Watt and not be inspired to bust your butt. Maybe Connor needs a guy in his face all the time to provide motivation, if he does that's on him not the Texans.

Personally I hated to lose him because I think he has potential, but overpaying for him wasn't an option that the Texans could afford. Good luck to him.

His contract doesn't sound too out of line from what "we" were saying was fair value.

I cannot make a comment on the player who made the quote- I do not know his character.

However, as the fan of team that has recieved the most compensatory picks since they started giving them out in 1994 because of the loss of Free Agents, I can honestly tell you it has nothing to do with "losing the lockerroom", "lack of character" o the players part or "lack of leadership" by the coaching staff and FO.

It happens to teams every year in a business driven by Free Agency as a vehicle to promote parity amongst teams.

Barwin should of went for gold and said Schaub is no leader. They all left because of money, all got more year to their contract. I haven't heard ex-players saying Texans are a bad team to play for, or the coach is an idiot.

I dont care what...Jason Babin...err Connor "Barwinna disapear' in a contract season...how many sacks did he get last year? 2 or three tops..with first one coming in last part of season. Cmon "Mr Bulls on Parade" show some freaking personal responsibility...you sucked cause you spent more time working on lame sack dances and getting schooled by those not double teaming JJ Watt.

Bite Me Babin...errr Barwin..."Kitten on a stroll"

Wow...... sounds like Connor is willing to throw his friends (Cody) under the bus to defend Kubaik & Schaub.

That's got to count for something.

Jj Watt was a beast. If they can't get behind that guy, I don't know what to tell you.

If anything, sounds like he was saying they missed Brian back there.
If you can't get your sacks playing next to a beast like JJ, the next best thing is trashing the team and moving on. I was not among the ones wanting to keep Barwin. His production was atrocious last year. The biggest loss we had this offseason was Quin. He will be missed. Barwin is as good of a loss as MW was. Wasted money on both of them.

My hunch is that the FO realized they needed less of the class clown guys like Barwin and Cody, and more serious professionals like Ed Reed.

That, to me, is the main motivation for bringing Reed in. Change the culture.

My hunch is that the FO realized they needed less of the class clown guys like Barwin and Cody, and more serious professionals like Ed Reed.

Must admit, I hadn't consciously thought of it in those terms but you could have a point here.
:thinking:

Absolutely plausible. Agreed.

Wade played lip service when he said nice things about Barwin (during the time leading up to his Eagles deal).

One thing I love about our owner is that he's established a Huge Cultural Attitude within the organization that it's a mortal sin to ever speak negatively about a player once he leaves the team, for whatever reason. Look back on how many times asshats like Carr, Dunta, Mario, players who can afford to have manners when leaving...but no, they run their mouths about us. Now look back and how many times have we heard about Bob or Gary or Rick or any coach saying negative, spiteful things about an ex-player? I can think of one only, and I think it was a positional coach.

Barwin is nothing more than David Carr when it comes down to it. Have waited for him to be gone for two years now, and very happy the Texans didn't sign him back.

I see your point, but, I'm not quite so sure. If Barwin had had a great year, he likely would have been extended an offer. Yes, Reed does bring a more professional, less "frat-boy-like" attitude, but, I don't think we can equate the signing of Reed to the non-signing of Barwin. Two different situations, IMO.

Having said that, I do believe that Reed would have put a stop to the Letterman Jacket fiasco the minute Barwin and Reed brought it up.

I really would have thought that Antonio Smith, when presented with his own letterman jacket, would NOT have been "down with that sweet stuff."

Really surprised me that he sported his in a photo with Barwin.

Ninja, what the hell were you thinking???

It's like Connor Barwin had some sort of hipster spell cast over this team. Letterman jackets, Foster's segway gifts to the OL, Bulls On Parade nickname. Connor Barwin set this team back a few years. Bastard.

I really would have thought that Antonio Smith, when presented with his own letterman jacket, would NOT have been "down with that sweet stuff."

Really surprised me that he sported his in a photo with Barwin.

Ninja, what the hell were you thinking???

It's like Connor Barwin had some sort of hipster spell cast over this team. Letterman jackets, Foster's segway gifts to the OL, Bulls On Parade nickname. Connor Barwin set this team back a few years. Bastard.

I never really liked Barwin being on this team, for those reasons. Regarding his play, he's a guy who can get to the QB when things are all leaning his way, but you lose a good coverage guy (good everything guy) like Cushing, watch Watt turn the team into a our-DLs-can-get-there-on-there-own type of D, and Barwin can't get there those fewer times he's asked to. Now, in typical fashion that, IMHO, goes right along with his letterman-jacket-&-Bulls-On-Parade effect on the team, he is blaming his own ineffectiveness on the team. It is the team's fault that we didn't have somebody besides Cushing at LB who could cover, but maybe Barwin is part of that problem, AND he is ultimately blaming Smith, Kubiak, & Phillips for drafting Watt, who gets to the QB, almost regardless of the situation (needing no help) and makes Barwin's mediocre abilities unnecessary.

I didn't have any problem with the letterman jackets when they did them and I don't have a problem with the letterman jackets now. I don't see that as some massively unprofessional or frivolous thing; I would have been surprised if Ed Reed wouldn't have joined in with it. It was all in good fun.

It just happened to be tainted by what came after that.

u know what I say to the leadership factor FUDGE IT

YOUR A GROWN ASS MAN and should be a professional Football player and shouldn't need someone to hold your hand

what does bill say " Just do your JOB "

I just can't imagine the production on defense NOT declining when you lose a guy like Cushing. He's the kind of guy that not only is athletic enough to do special things at ILB, but the team feeds off his intensity.

Lack of player leadership? I guess if you can't get behind guys like Watt, Smith and Joseph...then really what are you doing on the team? Good luck in Philly and those fans when your lack of production vs your pay comes to haunt you. Those aren't good time fans up there.

Aside from Cushing the offense stalled constantly in the last few games of the season and that put a lot of pressure on the defense.

If one player set this team back a few years, then this team is screwed even without him here. Barwin wasn't the leader in the locker room. He was just a guy that enjoyed himself.

I don't understand what Barwin's role was in Foster buying segway's for the OL? Lots of running backs (and QBs) buy their linemen gifts. I highly doubt Foster being nice to his teammates had any effect on their play on the field. I don't think the nickname did either. Neither did the letterman jackets. If we didn't have the jackets or the nickname, chances are we still would have flamed out and lost. Barwin's role on this team was minor, so to think he had some large influence in them playing poorly down the stretch because he wears jean shorts and white t-shirts and likes to go to dive bars is a crazy idea.

Back