Playcalling Strategy With Yates

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TimeKiller, Dec 2, 2011.

?

How we gonna roll coach?

1. Yates is just a baby. Run Foster, Tate and Ward as much as possible.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Yates is young but if he doesn't throw it every other series I'm gonna get my RBs killed.

15 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Yates has some ability. We'll surprise them with some real plays and hope the young man succeeds.

64 vote(s)
    62.7%
  4. We're gonna be the smartest guys in the room and toss it around the yard with a no name rookie!

12 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'M THE YOSEMITE SAM OF PLAYCALLING!!! YEEEEHAWWW GO ROUTES AND BOMBS!!! HAAAAIL MARY!!!

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Other-explain your strategy against the Falcons

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I know I'll be entirely more disappointed with turtle play than if Yates just makes mistakes. You don't hit the moon if you don't shoot. Inexperience isn't the same thing as suck. What do you do?

I'm like this: if they think stacking the box is going to stop Foster....they're right. Because every time a safety creeps up I'm going to tell the kid to huck it to AJ over their heads! If they'll play straight up, let the ground game do the dirty work and hide the rookie a little bit. I am NOT going to let them disrespect the whole team because of one young, inexperienced player.

2. JVL713

JVL713 Rookie

Atlanta's rush defense is #2 in the league, allowing under 85 yards per game. This alone isn't too scary, as Arian and Tate were able to run effectively against the Steeler's D...but if we play as conservatively as we did in the second half of the Jacksonville game it could get ugly.

We have a great defense behind us, but if we go three and out over and over like we did in the J'ville game, we can't count on dropped passes/horrible throws from Atlanta like we could agains Jax.

The team and coaching staff has expressed their faith in Yates all week, and Kubes even said he was so conservative with TJ more because of the backup situation than lack of faith. You have to let the kid throw. Not necessarily as much as Schaub would throw, we will definitely be a run first team from here on out, but we can't let Atlanta stack the box and let them go unpunished. Throwing to Andre in single coverage is more than doable, even for a rookie QB.

We have all the weapons anyone could ask for...a great run game, Arian's ability to catch and run, Owen Daniels, Dressen, James Casey, and of course...Mister Alexander(didn't see him on the injury report, hope he's ok). We don't have to do anything too fancy, but we can't be as one sided as we were against Jacksonville.

3. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Seriously...put in two RB's for extra protection and air that shiz out. Hit Jacoby, hit AJ, hit Walter, hit OD...make the opposition respect the pass and then pound them silly.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

What about just trusting Kubiak?

I know that's a novel concept, but hey ......

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  5. Trail.Blazr

Trail.Blazr All Pro

It's a double edged sword.

I feel like if Atlanta's weakness is in their secondary, that's what you have to focus your game plan on. Take what the defense gives you, and if Atlanta stacks the box, it seems the smart choice is to take advantage of their secondary situation.

On the other hand....

You have a rookie QB making his first start against a talented NFL team. Aside from the last series in the first half of the Jags game last week, TJ's game experience in the NFL is against 2nd/3rd stringers in a shortened pre-season. I can see an argument to ease him into the position by relying heavily on what is still arguably one of the better run games in the NFL for the last year and a half.

My guess is that Kubiak will come out somewhat conservative with what is asked of TJ to at least see if he can get a rhythm and open it up as the game goes along as needed, which will likely be dictated mostly by score, line play, special teams succes/feild position.

I expect that Kube's will be content to have a close game, in which we have a chance to win at the end. I don't anticipate a game plan with the expectation of attempting to blow out the opponent, as it would likely put too much of a high-level expectation on TJ.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

Other.

Scale the passing gameplan back some, but give him some opprotunites to throw the ball. Lean heavily on Foster and Tate.

7. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Ok. You're right. Let's not talk about the biggest key to this game at all.

8. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I say run the 15 play script on a Schaub-Lite type approach. Then base the rest of the game what Yates does.

I think there should be a couple of bombs. The beauty on the naked boot leg is you get some chances to throw some long passes, but you have to be able to run the ball to set it up, so maybe try one or two early.

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

If Yates can hurt them over the top early, then he can settle back in the running game & manage the game more easily. Secondary is Atlanta Falcons weakness.

10. Texcore

Texcore Hardcore Texan

Obviously we will lean on the strength of our offense, the running game. And every now and then we will dial up some plays to throw it down field. I just don't want to see him force something that is not there, but still be aggressive within himself and the play that is call.

We should take note however, he is a rookie. So a turn over or two will not suprise me. But if he can make some plays down the field and lean on this running game we should win this game.

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

First offensive play:

Play action pass looking for Dre deep. Overthrow it if you must but go deep. Get in Atlanta's head early. Back them off the line of scrimmage.

12. brad77

brad77 Rookie

everyone knows we can run the ball....what I don't want to see is constantly waiting till 3rd down to throw the ball....two runs and a pass is way to predictable. We need to mix it up and let the kid air it out on 1st and second down so that the Atlanta D does not stack the box and play the run...we hve to show them we are willing to throw the ball down field.

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Even Germany is ordering T.J Yates jerseys. :lol:

14. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

There's some truth to that, but IMO it doesn't apply to the Texans, esspecially this late in the year..

If you're the Colts, if you could somehow get the run game going the naked play-action boot would work better... But with the Texans, their running game has been established for over a year and a half now, and earns respect from the opposing defense in the film-room..

A great example was against Baltimore... Minus one really good run from Tate (the fumble run that Brown recovered for a TD), the Texans hadn't been running the ball very well when Jacoby beat Ed Reed to the endzone for a deep TD on a play-action boot. Reed was on top of the box, bit on the run a step or two and Jacoby abandoned his "I'm gunna come over here to block you" route to go deep... Reed was late...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

15. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Kubiak needs to let the boy sling it, so we can see what we've got. I'd rather find out before the pla-_offs, and so he can get a few growing pains out of the way.

16. NCTexan

NCTexan Hall of Fame

This is exactly what I hope they let him do. I watched Yates last year in college and he can get it down there pretty accurately, especially if they've been working with him on being a bit more consistent than he was in college.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I honestly don't think the game plan will be any different than the plan we went into Jacksonville with. We're going to run the ball & take a few chances. We scored 17 points against the #5 defense in the league with Leinart, I don't think we'll see much drop off with Yates.

That game plan wasn't much different than the one that won in Cleveland, Tennessee, at Jacksonville, or home against Tampa Bay.

He'll probably be coached to take the checkdowns unless the big play is there & I don't have a problem with that.

Hopefully he'll gain some confidence as the game goes on & by the second half of the Cincy game take more chances. But if that beautiful touch pass to Andre in the second half of the Jags game is any indication, he might already have the confidence needed.

18. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

????? your tagline about newbies with 2010 join date who really cares and question is why havent you joined the Houston Texan Fan club of San Antonio on facebook that I started years ago. (please join we are trying to put together bus trip and we need more likes)

I really dont care about the newbies, I always knew they were there, especially in SA. I am enjoying being proven right.

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

we don't have any choice, but in the mean time we can discuss this on what's called a message board. yay teem! :fans:

On a serious note, I think if Kubiak only calls plays that work, Yates will be fine.

:spin:

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I really think the only realistic choice in that poll was "We're gonna be the smartest guys in the room and toss it around the yard with a no name rookie!"

Think about everything you've ever learned about Kubiak. Take a moment, let it all sink in. Ready?

Now answer me honestly, has this man ever passed up a chance to be the smartest guy in the room? Ever?

Yates is going to throw for over 300 yards Sunday. Book it.