Play Calling 101: Just the Facts Please

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JfromthaTray, Sep 19, 2005.

1. JfromthaTray

JfromthaTray Veteran

Please help me understand this. How does the playcalling work? Does err, did Palmer actually call the plays and thats what they ran?(except whan Carr audibles). Or did he recommend a play and Capers had final approval or what?

2. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

From what Capers said on the radio one day is that he called the type of play: run or pass. Palmer would pick the play itself based on what he thought would work the best.

Then after all of that Carr still has the option of audiblizing the play. I don't know if Carr has permission to go from pass to run, but certainly he can pick a different pass play, put a receiver in motion, have DD run to the opposite side or call a specific route. I doubt Carr does a lot of complex audiblizing. I rarely see a Texan receiver go in motion.

Even Peyton Manning doesn't have complete autonomy. He gets to pick from three different plays when they call one in to him.

3. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

From what I can tell 90% of his audibles are from pass to run.

4. JfromthaTray

JfromthaTray Veteran

Thank you. Is it me, or has anyone else noticed that when Carr does audible, its mostly to some type of dive to DD and it usually nets only a couple of yards. Occasionally I've seen the quick pass to AJ, but its usually a run up the middle for 1 or 2 yds.