Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pittsburgh Writer Picks Texans to Win the Super Bowl...in 2016

TexanAddict

Texan 'til I Die
Frankly, I've got nothing to dissuade me from the notion that the Houston Texans are going to win Super Bowl L, now only eight years off. So let's put it on the record. That 50th Super Bowl? Texans 31, Packers 7.

Where's the risk?
He also is giving a little preview of the Steelers-Texans season opener:

But this is the era of interminable preview, in which the length of the pregame shows now dwarf the length of the events being previewed. The Steelers don't play for anything that counts for another 11 weeks, but what the heck, welcome to the pregame show.

Countdown to kickoff? One thousand eight hundred fifty-one hours, three minutes, seven seconds, give or take. We're talking 1 p.m. (high noon Texas time) at Heinz Field, those same Super Bowl L-bound Houston Texans against your Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians, and let's start by fretting over the reappearance on the North Side lawn of one Steve Slaton, third-round draft pick and erstwhile West Virginia Mountaineer.

Last seen within the city limits, the Texans' rookie running back piled up 130 yards and two touchdowns.

And those were just his receiving yards.

In the first half.

For the night, in that 45-27 runoff of Pitt, Slaton totaled 345 yards and had a 59-yard run called back. So he likes it here. Will that be a factor? From 11 weeks out, it's looking like an established maybe.

More tangibly, perhaps, what is Steelers left tackle Marvel Smith, coming off back surgery, going to do about Mario Williams and his 291 pounds of 41-inch vertical leaping ability? Good thing this isn't basketball. Williams, for whom the Texans withstood an ocean of scorn for drafting him instead of Reggie Bush or Vince Young, had 14 sacks last year, six more than any Steeler.

Will his first sack of 2008 come against Ben Roethlisberger? From 11 weeks out, clearly maybe. Either that or his first three.

To complement Williams on the left side, the Texans this month signed former New England Patriots rusher Rosevelt Colvin, who pronounced that move "icing on the cake."

Of course, the cake was 8-8 last year, 2-6 on the road, and for all its defensive talent including Williams, Pro Bowl middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans and cornerback Fred Bennett, Houston still allowed more points than it scored.

While Colvin's analysis sounded a little curious, nothing anyone in the Texans' organization said in the offseason has rivaled this observation from rookie corner Antwaun Molden:

"Houston is a slow city; it's not like Cleveland."

No, but really, what is?
As for that opener a mere 11 weeks away, I like the Steelers, 50-0.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

:francis:

(Didn't see this posted, if it has been, please remove.)

GP

Go Texans!
I hope we dismantle the Steelers after reading that article.

Yes, I know it's supposed to be funny-ha-ha stuff...but saying 50-0 is a big stretch. At least attempt to muster up a plausible score prediction.

If we rattle Big Ben, early, I think we win the game. Of course, Richard Smith doesn't get aggressive until the last 3 games of each season...so, we got THAT working against us. And don't anybody tell me that Richard couldn't be aggressive because he didn't have good enough players or there were too many injuries.

Our offense missed Schaub, AJ, Green, and McKinney for most of the season. Richard needs to turn the dogs loose e-a-r-l-y.

GP

Go Texans!
And what the HELL is up with the side-page banner advertisement that has Steelers stuff being promoted? LOL.

I posted my reply and BAM! there's an ad for Steelers stuff. It seems to be a rotating ad, so you might not see it the first time you land on this page.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
The steelers are going to get a wake up call in the opening game or should I say, the steelers' fans. With Faneca gone that line is going to suffer, I hope they are underestimating us. We are going to run all over their D. :pirate:

:texflag:

barrett

All Pro
I hope we dismantle the Steelers after reading that article.

Yes, I know it's supposed to be funny-ha-ha stuff...but saying 50-0 is a big stretch. At least attempt to muster up a plausible score prediction.

If we rattle Big Ben, early, I think we win the game. Of course, Richard Smith doesn't get aggressive until the last 3 games of each season...so, we got THAT working against us. And don't anybody tell me that Richard couldn't be aggressive because he didn't have good enough players or there were too many injuries.

Our offense missed Schaub, AJ, Green, and McKinney for most of the season. Richard needs to turn the dogs loose e-a-r-l-y.
but smith couldn't be aggressive. because he didn't have good enough players because there were too many injuries.

on another note, i've already put $100 where my mouth is, we will beat the pennsylvanians.

it think it's imperative to win that one just in case we drop the first jags and colts games. come playoff time this opening game will be absolutely critical for us to have a run. furthermore, i really think we can. it will depend on how our many new defensive players have gelled.

TK_Gamer

Veteran
If Smith is smart he will set the tone of the new season right off the bat. If he does I know we will make a huge statement to the entire league. Ofcourse then you will hear "yeah they started out really strong last year too.." blah blah blah. I hope we do hear that.

If ever a team is going to be desperate in an opening game, it's the Steelers. Losing a playoff game at home to a Brady or Peyton is one thing, but losing one to Jacksonville has put them in an especially surly mood all off-season.

Then, there's the matter of the schedule. I've never seen a harder one entering a season. Of their 10 non-divisional games, Pittsburgh plays 8 against playoff teams--the only playoff teams from last year they DON'T face are Green Bay, Tampa and Seattle. The other two non-divisional games are against 8-8 teams (us and cross-state foe Philly). And they've got two against 10-6 Cleveland. The only salvation are the 4 games against the Bungles and Ravens, but games against Carson Palmer and Ray Lewis are never gimme's.

Our game will be circled on their calendar as a must, must, must, must win. If they lose to us at home, they are in big trouble the rest of the way. We better have it strapped on right from the start.

GP

Go Texans!
but smith couldn't be aggressive. because he didn't have good enough players because there were too many injuries.

on another note, i've already put $100 where my mouth is, we will beat the pennsylvanians.

it think it's imperative to win that one just in case we drop the first jags and colts games. come playoff time this opening game will be absolutely critical for us to have a run. furthermore, i really think we can. it will depend on how our many new defensive players have gelled.
So how come our offense ran laps around our defense?

Tons of injuries on both sides, and yet the offense didn't look nearly as bad as the defense.

I just don't understand how Richard Smith keeps getting a free pass. Two years in a row our defense plays it conservative until the last few games, and the fans on here are saying "Where the hell is THIS coming from?"

His defense looks better in the last few games than the first 13. It's science.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
2016, that's when most of our best players are past their prime......."if" this team is going to win a SB, it's going to be before that.

barrett

All Pro
So how come our offense ran laps around our defense?

Tons of injuries on both sides, and yet the offense didn't look nearly as bad as the defense.

I just don't understand how Richard Smith keeps getting a free pass. Two years in a row our defense plays it conservative until the last few games, and the fans on here are saying "Where the hell is THIS coming from?"

His defense looks better in the last few games than the first 13. It's science.
i would site better depth. (in the past) it's not hard to argue that Davis and Rosenfelds, White and Brisel are better backups than Huchins and Faggins. (i can't say as much for Dayne and Flannigan) I But that's speculation. I was never saying where is THIS coming from. It's a valid argument. Your beef is real. I think this year it's put up or shut up but it is still reasonable to say that it was a less than preferable situation.

i'm not even a big fan. it just seems scientific enough to consider as a reason that he may have had to alter his scheme.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
More tangibly, perhaps, what is Steelers left tackle Marvel Smith, coming off back surgery, going to do about Mario Williams and his 291 pounds of 41-inch vertical leaping ability? Good thing this isn't basketball. Williams, for whom the Texans withstood an ocean of scorn for drafting him instead of Reggie Bush or Vince Young, had 14 sacks last year, six more than any Steeler.

Will his first sack of 2008 come against Ben Roethlisberger? From 11 weeks out, clearly maybe. Either that or his first three.
Smith, in the last year of his contract, still hasn't been re-upped. They may be looking at Alan Faneca, part deux if they let the situation drag on. LINK

Here's to hoping the writer is correct about Mario getting his first three sacks against Roethlisberger.
:toast2:

edo783

Hall of Fame
Mario starting the season with a tri-fecta on Ben would be sweet. Probably not going to happen, but it would be sweet if it did.

Trail.Blazr

Hooked up to a Kool-Aid IV
If we rattle Big Ben, early, I think we win the game.
With Faneca gone that line is going to suffer, I hope they are underestimating us.
Even WITH Faneca, The Steelers gave up over twice the number of Sacks Houston did in '07.

The Steeler's offense isn't what will beat us. I beleive if healthy, our Offense can put the points on the board. If we lose it will be at our own peril.

This game is potentially THE upset of week 1.

I hope we have the answer to their Defense, which IMHO, is the strength of their team. With this being the first week of the Gibbs era, are we going to be firing on all cylinders? I have my reservations. I am a reluctant homer that is saying I want to believe.

I noticed many years ago that the Steelers are always well coached at the little things that go into turnovers and busting up plays.

Our success will hinge entirely on moving the ball and keeping it.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Last time we opened the season against Pittsburgh was 2005 and they dismantled us in every way possible. That was here and their fans owned Reliant Stadium by the time the game came to a merciful end.

Since the Texans have just last year reached .500 I can forgive this fellow for thinking we still suck a lot. It's not like he would have any real reason to know better.

I think we're going to surprise the Steelers though. I look for us to take that first game on the road convincingly. The Steelers have won 6 straight openers. They're due and frankly I wasn't all that impressed with them last season. Yes, 10-6 beats our 8-8 but I didn't see the same team that won a Super Bowl and mugged us in 2005 playing last year. They're looking very mortal in my opinion.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Last time we opened the season against Pittsburgh was 2005 and they dismantled us in every way possible. That was here and their fans owned Reliant Stadium by the time the game came to a merciful end.

Since the Texans have just last year reached .500 I can forgive this fellow for thinking we still suck a lot. It's not like he would have any real reason to know better.

I think we're going to surprise the Steelers though. I look for us to take that first game on the road convincingly. The Steelers have won 6 straight openers. They're due and frankly I wasn't all that impressed with them last season. Yes, 10-6 beats our 8-8 but I didn't see the same team that won a Super Bowl and mugged us in 2005 playing last year. They're looking very mortal in my opinion.
You're right.
That was eons ago from both teams' perspective.
We're on the way up and I'm not sure they aren't slipping.

Giant Tiger

Veteran
I'm glad we open up in Pittsburgh. IMO they are evenly matched with Jacksonville. Yeah I know the Jaguars beat them at home but both games could have gone either way. Should be a good barometer on our division standing. I was looking forward to the start of the seaon last year; but this year should be even better. :cool:

barrett

All Pro
i think, however, it mentions in the article that Rothlisberger was learning under a new OC and his productivity was way up. This will be year two with that dude so we may be underestimating them.

PHAROAH

Rookie
The problem will be if our running game isn't there because they will blitz us to death if we don't find a running game.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
set-up game
It's somewhere out there...the Steeler's home opener record is pretty astounding. 37-12 or something like that. and that is with the extremely poor teams of the fifties and sixties thrown in there. We get by that one I'll be running to catch the band wagon. We'll see.

er 37-32....but they've won five straight.