Piqued by Peek !

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Aug 1, 2005.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"Capers is so excited about what Peek could mean to the defense that he actually drew comparisons with Greg Lloyd. When Capers was Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator (1992-94), Lloyd went to the Pro Bowl each season."
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3290285

2. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

To bad peek doesnt know taekwondo :ninja: :fight:

3. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

On the Channel 13 news last night (Sunday, 7/31), the sports segment
    included a few minutes from the Texans TC. Don't know how many people
    saw it, but it included a play where Peek put a Bull Rush on one of our
    tackles and totally knocked him on his can - Peek was awesome and it was
    a demonstration of his strength as much as his quickness and athleticism, though I'm sure the OLineman was off balance thinking about Peek's outside move. Anyway, Peek did look bigger but he looked very fit and lets hope
    he remains healthy and has learned to keep his cool, because he could be in
    for a big year. OK, here's the downside to the story, and its a big downer, the
    guy he knocked on his butt was Seth Wand. It had to be totally humiliating
    for Wand. And they replayed it a couple of times. It reminded me of his meetings last year with the Colts DE Freeney - not very reassuring. Oh well,
    were just getting the season started, but as good as Peek looked on the play, Wand looked that bad !

4. TexansJunkE

TexansJunkE Veteran

The down side to that was the OT he knocked down was as of now our starting LT Seth Wand...............I hope Carr saw that and walks over to the coach's & GM and thanks :goodnight them for listening to him about protecting him more.

5. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

I watched the Sports Sunday segment last night on Channel 2. Same blip was played on the Bull Rush, and he was interviewed about it. His response was pretty much "it happens to the best of us", as far as what he thought of the person he mowed over (Wand?). He had an awesome and humble attitude and seemed very jazzed to get this season started. Combine that attitude with his play intensity, and I believe that Peek has won over another fan. :)

6. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

He may know "whupyoa**" *lol*

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think this sums up Peeks ride in the NFL. Hopefully he can keep it together and reach his potential.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

The other thing you can say about that is, if he is getting 15 or more sacks, someone else should be having a really good season for us defensively also.

9. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I saw two plays where Peek just annilahated Wand. I don't know whether to be pumped about Peek, or concerned about Wand. Hopefully, Peek will be giving that kind of grief to alot of tackles this year.

I think Vinny has the crux of it though. We need Peek to be a consistant performer, while still having some big play ability. He hasn't shown up to now that he can be a consistent run stopper, or just a consistent performer in general. He has also shown himself to be injury prone. Here's hoping he can put it all together, as I think he may be the biggest key to our defense. If he busts, we are in deep trouble. If he becomes everything his potential suggests he might, playoffs are definitely attainable.

10. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Actually, I am liking that Peek is lighting up Wand. Hopefully that will put a little gunpowder up his backside and make him ticked off, agressive and better. Most of what I see wrong with Seth is that he is to passive and thinking about it to much. Hopefully by the end of camp he will have punked Peek a couple of times and then take a nasty attitude into the season. If not, I look for someone else to be playing LT.

11. Vambo, the Marble Eye

Vambo, the Marble Eye Veteran

Agree... if Wand expects to handle his own against Indy this year Peek is the perfect training wheels. You can't get better unless there is a little competition... and now practice will means something because both Peek and Wand have something prove- Do they belong as starters?

12. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

I agree with EDO and Vambo with regards to the Peek/Wand head-to-head exchanges. It is interesting to me that Peek when interviewed about his success vs. Wand on Sunday said something like ..."yeah, I'm trying to make Seth Wand better". Maybe it means that this kid has so much confidence in his ability that when he lines up against Seth all he really sees is chance to help the team improve by making our current LT better. Hopefully Wand will improve his footwork to handle a speed rush and his confidence which I'll bet is not terrific right now.

13. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Peek got more sacks and forced fumbles than anyone else last year but only played 4 or 5 plays a game, Maybe he anialates the Oline in practice just to show no mercy when he is on the feild. He will do just fine and will set the tone for the defense to follow, Why, Because he is Antwan

P---E---E-----K

If some of the players would take on half his energy we would be instantly successful

14. jodief

jodief Rookie

DID ANYONE CATCH THE EXTRA POINT SHOW ON 13 SATURDY? THEY HAD A SMALL FEATURE ON PEEK. ON HOW HE GOES TO THE WEIGHT ROOM EARLY EVERY DAY , WORKS WITH THE STRENTH COACH. DRIVES HIMSELF EXTRA HARD THIS YEAR. HE GAINED LIKE 15 OR SO POUNDS OF MUSCLE AND LOST ALOT OF BODY FAT . SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A GUY READY TO KICK SOME MAJOR BUTT. :drool:

15. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Peek had 2 sacks last season, Wong had 5.5, Dunta had 3, and Babin had 4...

16. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

So is Peek lighting up Wand on every play? Or do the great plays by the DL make the highlight reels, and the plays when th OL stops them not make the reels?

This is not a knock against Peak who I think will be a stud this year. It is just the difference between the OL and DL positions.

I remember (dating myself) the way Mark Gastineau would dance around like an ***** when he made a sack. I thought it would be cool if the offensive lineman would dance a jig every one of the other 20 times he stopped Gastineau in the game. They were both just doing their jobs, right?

That's the difference between OL and DL - the DL get recognized when they make a play, the OL gets recognized when they get beat or called for a penalty.

All that being said, going against Peek is excellent preparation for the Freeneys of the league.

17. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

Excellent post.

18. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

And then he did it in front of the Dawg Pound moments before the browns mounted their comeback and sent the Jets home and advanced to the AFC championship (where we won't discuss what Elway did)

19. TopTexanFan16

TopTexanFan16 Veteran

"Some of the young guys, like Antwan Peek, have done some good things, like rushing the passer. But he has a lot of work to do on a lot of other things."

from the home front page. I want to see Peek out their starting sunday but that doesnt show alot of promise hes had 3 years to learn all the other things he should be working on. i hope this doesnt mean much.

20. HardCoreTxn

HardCoreTxn Veteran

I hope Peek can step it up a bit, Im also anxious to see what Greenwood, Monk and Moreno are gonna do :hmmm: