Picking up the pieces

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by PHILLYTEXANFAN, Jul 10, 2014.

1. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

With all this Dre is unhappy talk and wants a trade, I wanna discuss the WR currently on the roster, and who will step up in Dre's place because I for one am not sold on Hopkins yet and still need to see more from Posey. Heck is our future #1 star WR even on our roster as of now?

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I saw a post not too long ago on some thread that Posey is now 100% healthy so will be interesting to see his TC.

3. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Posey would step into AJ's role, and we'd be looking at WR in the draft -- which was already on the menu.

4. pirbroke

pirbroke All Pro

I would look to trade AJ for a starting right tackle ( which would add time to all receivers routes ) and maybe a young speedster WR. He doesn't need to be a high ranking one or even a number 1, just someone that could stretch the field some. That last may not matter if our QB's can't hit him.

5. pirbroke

pirbroke All Pro

I wish we knew the 3 or 4 teams interested in trading for AJ.

I see Oakland is rumored, man that would be funny.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

I seem to recall they were impressed with a couple of the receivers who were on the PS in the OTA's. That dude EZ Nglkg;lha apparently looked good plus Posey I think is going to be used much better. Of course we have Hopkins and Bonner back is back from injury. Martin I guess but he's a slot receiver. I'd say Hopkins and Posey and a surprise PS player can do the job because we're going to be using TE's more anyway.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

The 4 that I know of are Carolina, Cleveland, NE and Baltimore. Cleveland and Baltimore would be better fits for AJ scheme-wise but I really don't want to trade him to Baltimore. I don't think Carolina has cap space. One team's fans that I talk to are Philly fans who think he'd be a good fit and they have cap room.

8. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Pat D Stat from SOTT on Twitter keeps saying we all need to calm down because Posey looked really damn good at OTA's. He cant go into much detail due to NDA's but said he has really come a long way.

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

You're not sold on Hopkins and are looking at Posey and the slew of "meh" WRs we have? Hopkins will be our #1 whenever Dre leaves.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

we have a slew of second rate wr's without AJ. No clear wr1 on the roster by any stretch of the imagination.

11. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I think the system is going to cater to the TEs and slot WR primarily, so a prototypical #1 WR is not going to be quite as important in the scheme. IMO.

12. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Agree, i rarely remember seeing NE with a clear #1, they seemed to always have a bunch of OK guys, but of course Tom Brady can make anyone look good.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

did I mention we had no elite TE either?

I understand everyone thinking that since the Pats do it without elite WR's that it must be the system. I'm more in the line of if we don't have AJ, Tom Brady ain't gonna make up for it. I think the system will help though...I'm just not going to try to convince myself that unproven mediocre wr's can replace AJ. Who replaced Earl? Who replaced Hakeem? You can't replace guys like that with chump change. You need to go out and get a real talent. Here was my suggestion in March

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I like Hopkins and Posey a lot. I just don't think they've got the speed to stretch the field. AJ isn't the burner he once was, but he was still able to get down field when he needed to.

Sort of already said, but I see the first year of this passing offense being short to intermediate routes. Like MichaelM said, the TEs, slot and the RBs will be highly involved.

I'm not expecting a dynamic offense this season. A lot of running and dink & dunking. Hopefully enough to keep the defense off the field long enough for a breather

I just hope Crennel can mix things up every week like he did in NE vs the boring type D we've recently seen in KC. Imo, KC's defense got better when he left....

15. brg88tx

brg88tx Veteran

one of the reasons dre was so dominant is he was targeted 70% of the time. we'll be just fine with Hopkins and Posey with the speedy mike Thomas in the slot.

16. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

That's all I'm saying. I think the system will help in making it less critical to find a true #1 WR. I agree no one will be able to replace AJ.
    None of it works without a legit signal caller, though.

17. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

PatDStat referenced this yesterday on Twitter:

Also a part of the reason for Kubiaks demise

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Or a deceptive use of stats. Top WRs get targeted regardless of coach and system. That's what you do when you have a star.

19. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Anquan Boldin: 130 targets
    All 7 WRs on the 9ers combined: 112

I guess Harbaugh needs to go too.

20. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

AJ got 29% of our targets.

Anquan Bolden got 31% of the Niners' targets. AJ Green got 31% of the Bengals' targets. Brandon Marshall got 28% of the Bears' targets and Jeffery scooped up another 26% of their targets.

I don't think AJs targets were all that out of whack. If you've got a receiver like that, get the ball to him.

OTOH, there were some teams with guys who got fewer targets and maybe that was a mistake. TY Hilton only got 24% and Jimmy Graham got 22%. And other times, maybe a lower percentage really just reflects that you don't have a go-to receiver.... Julian Edelman got 24% of the NE targets.