Picking #1 Again !

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by brewhaus, Nov 27, 2006.

1. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

With the direction the Texans are headed this season is there a possiblity that we could get the #1 pick in the '07 draft?

IF this is a possibility, would it be wise to pick first again or trade down with another team for more picks later in the draft?

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Trade down. We need all the picks we can get. Plus, I think it'll be tough for the organization to afford another #1.:spy:

3. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

We should have a top 3 pick at the very least. Gotta try for a franchise QB this time around.

4. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I really hope this isn't the case, and I don't think it will be, so long as we beat Oakland. If we have the #1 pick we really need to get rid of it and trade down a bit (perhaps around picks 7-10) so that we can get a good DB (Unless they're going higher this year of course). I know there's plenty of people out there who will be crying for Quinn or Peterson...but we definitely don't need to waste a 1st round pick on a RB with Kubiak's system, and I don't think QB is more urgent right now than a killer Safety or CB. That's just my thoughts, however.

5. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

Who do you have in mind?

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Is there gonna be a player that teams really want that bad .

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IMO, this year doesn't look great for QBs. I'd grab Kolb in a later round. Build him while DC is still taking the snaps. We can fill holes elsewhere and insert Kolb in a year or two.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

No offensive skill position players.

9. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Until we get a bulldozer of a running back, we will never get to where we want to be. We have to get a RB this year and watch the O take off and keep the D off the field...

Win by outscoring opponents...

10. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

Joe Thomas, tackle from Wisconsin, or trade down.

11. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

We will probably get a top 10 pick and when we do I think we need to trade down and try and pick up a couple 1st rounders. We get a safety and a CB to go along with Dunta and then in the second round get a WR (Walter has done next to nothing this year and have someone to eventually replace Moulds) and from there out get offensive lineman. I believe OL is the position you can get the most quality at in the later rounds which is why I'd like to take care of some other needs before then. We definately need to address the secondary and the OL, and if we hit it right like we did this year I think we'll be greatly improved for next year.

12. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

I like Thomas also. He would be a monster addition to the team.

13. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

We need to lose to Oakland and try to shoot for the #1 spot and this time we need to draft the best talent and not what we "need"

14. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

OK, who is the best talent?

15. HomeBred_Texan

Adrian Peterson to name just 1...

Playmakers on offense is what we need right now. We have no running game...

16. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Id like to know where everybody who wants us to grab a RB or QB in the top 3 is going to get the money to pay for them? IMO if it happens, they will trade down. Kubiak wont draft a RB that high and they are still really high on Charles Spencer so Joe Thomas probably isnt an option. I think they trade down into the 8-12 range and get a defensive playmaker in the secondary.

17. HomeBred_Texan

Some players are gonna be cut after this season again, just like after last season. That is where the money comes from.

Why do you keep saying Kubs doesn't draft rb's in the first round? When has Kubs ever drafted, except for last year?

18. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

mmhmm but that doesnt leave a whole lot of money for say free agents and other draft picks does it?

19. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

I don't agree... we don't have the same lineman as denver. Until we can provide we don't need a good RB, I want one. The OL has not shown that they can run block in the scheme and I think we need someone with more talent as opposed to average talent to compensate for the learning curve. Once we have the OL in place and the big time runner isn't needed, then we trade him away for another piece.

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Trade down. However, It will still be the problem of having a trading partner. No one to dance with, can't trade down. Teams don't want to take the guys in the top 5 picks. To much money and to much risk.