Pickin' RB's

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by rarazz00, Feb 25, 2009.

1. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

So hear I sit thinking what are the Texans gonna do about the RB situation...I looked on our roster and we have Slaton, Moats and Chris Brown on IR...thats all I've seen. There are some talented FA-RB's out there, but we ain't opening up the coffers for no RB, which would be stupid for a RB that will only be hired just to spell Slaton, not run many carries. I'm not sure about Moats, but so far he's in...Now with this all being said would anyone have a problem with drafting TWO RB's in this draft and who and what rounds would you target..I told "Beer Lover" in an earlier blog that I thought the Texans would target Arian Foster-Tenn. Now I'm not so sure....anyway My new targets:

Andre Brown N.C.State-4th

Kory Sheets-Purdue-option 4th

Ian Johnson-Boise State-option 4th

Marion Lucky-Nebraska-7th

Gatrell Johnson-Colorodo St. option 7th

well bloggers, what ya think?:thinking:

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Gatrell Johnson is a guy I would like the Texans to grab but he won't bw available in the 7th round I can assure you.

DOn't want any part of Ian Johnson. He is to small, doesn't have blazing speed, and really wasn't even that spectacular in the inferior conference that Boise State was in.

Like you said we need a guy to compliment Slaton and Gatrelll seems to be able to do that with his skill set.

rarazz00 likes this.
  3. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

I agree with you on Gatrell Johnson, though he didn't have a great combine. If you reference blazing speed he didn't register it in "Indi" on Sat. He was pretty scary looking though..monster legs. I bet he'd make for one hell of a FB.

Now reguarding Ian Johnson..I personally haven't seen any footage, but I'll give you these stats:

Ian Johnson, Boise State
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 212.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.46.
    Benchx225: 26. Vertical: . Broad: .
    Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
    2/23/09: Ian Johnson shocked Indianapolis when he ran an unofficial 4.3 40. The official time has him at 4.46, which is still pretty decent compared to the plethora of Sunday's slow backs. 2/21/09: Ian Johnson's 212 pounds? What happened? Did he eat someone by accident?

4. TexansFan33

TexansFan33 DW33

Also Donald Brown of UCONN blew up the combine.... just somethin to think about

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

I don't care that we normally don't take high round running backs. Give me Shonn Greene in the 2nd and I will drool with anticipation.

6. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Steve Slaton Height 5-9 Weight 203 lbs.

Gartrell Johnson, RB

Height:
    5'10"
    Weight:

Ian Johnson, RB
    Height:
    5'11"
    Weight:

I am confused, if you think Ian Johnson is to small why would you want Gartrell?

Not to mention Ian Johnson performed well at all the drills except Broad Jump and Vertical Jump.

rarazz00 likes this.
  7. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

yes, taking a RB in the earlier rounds would be something to consider...though I feel the higher draft pic should go towards our dismal defense..:d:

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

for this year, if an offensive player is taken in rounds one or two, it better be a lineman. We can get decent RBs to help out Slayton in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

9. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

I'm w/ ya on that...I personally would like to see us pickin' TWO RB's say 4th round and 6th or 7th...:fans:

10. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Im more for Johnson just b/c he comes from the that ZBS/ one cut system. Just like Slaton did at WV.

rarazz00 likes this.
  11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Ian Johnson won't do anything in the NFL. Quote me on that if you want later on if I'm wrong, but he isn't that strong of a runner. And he would be similar to Slaton and we don't need a guy who is just like Slaton. We need a bruiser who can move the chains and get short yardage in the red zone. Gatrell is a pounder that could be available when we need to get a bruiser.

Shonn Greene would be my guy, but I don't want to pick a RB in the 2nd round.

12. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I'd love to have Andre Brown but I think he performed great in the Senior Bowl and had a great combine so he'll probably move up to the early 3rd round. I wouldn't mind having Gartrell Johnson but he reminds me of Ron Dayne, bruiser runner but not very quick to hit the hole. He doesn't strike me as being quick enough for this one cut and go system.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

What about Cedric Pearman? WHere do you think he'll get picked up?

14. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

Well, according to Walter Football::brando:

Cedric Peerman, Virginia
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 216.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.45.
    Benchx225: 27. Vertical: 40. Broad: .
    Projected Round (2009): 5.
    2/23/09: Opened eyes with a very sharp 2009 NFL Combine, running a 4.45 and garnering a 40-inch vertical. Unfortunately, he measured with the smallest hands at the 2009 NFL Combine (8 inches).

1/3/09: Cedric Peerman finished with 774 rushing yards and seven touchdowns as a senior, but also caught 44 balls.

10/18/08: After gaining just 96 yards the first four weeks of the season, Cedric Peerman tallied 110- and 173-yard outputs against Maryland and East Carolina in consecutive Saturdays.

5/21/08: Cedric Peerman suffered a season-ending ankle injury on Oct. 6. Before then, he was having a solid year, rushing for 585 yards and five touchdowns on a 5.2 clip. tball...

15. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

WalterFootball has him going in the 5th but I just can't help but think with these stats he'll go higher. The only drawback is his hand size (8 inches), but if his past history shows he doesn't fumble, I don't think it will be an issue.

Cedric Peerman, Virginia
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 216.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.45.
    Benchx225: 27. Vertical: 40. Broad: .
    Projected Round (2009): 5.
    2/23/09: Opened eyes with a very sharp 2009 NFL Combine, running a 4.45 and garnering a 40-inch vertical. Unfortunately, he measured with the smallest hands at the 2009 NFL Combine (8 inches).

1/3/09: Cedric Peerman finished with 774 rushing yards and seven touchdowns as a senior, but also caught 44 balls.

16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

and how many fumbles ? Anyone remember Echimandu ? I'm not against him in the fourth....just saying. We got a thread working on the other board about J.J. these guys do not like fumblers. I kept hearing that about Peerman when they talked about him.

As far as Ian Johson is concerned....seven to ten touches....that's what we're looking for. I thought he was pretty beat up his sophmore and junior years....obviously with the numbers he posted, he appears to be healthy.

Donald Brown should go off the board in the second.

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I cant see him making it in the NFL either.

18. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

No love for Rashad Jennings in here? He is EXACTLY the perfect complement to Steve Slaton in my opinion. 6'1" 231lbs. and he's a tough runner who likes to pound the ball in and fight for those additional yards. He would be a great goal-line back, and he can also provide as a 1-2 punch when Slaton needs to rest. Another thing is that I think he would really fit well with the "one cut and go" running style the Texans are going for.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles...profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-overview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP5XBCu_ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggiM7fnn4E (Wowzers!)

19. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

No fumbles throughout his 4 year career at Virginia, although he did lose one at the senior bowl

20. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

Yes I can see Rashad Jennings as a great backup for "Stevie", though I'm looking at the latter rounds for his backup..Jennings will probably go way early and come to think of it. I'm sure Andre Brown will too..(see original Post)