Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pickett @ Safety?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
maybe one too many big beers tonight but I don't see how this guy makes the Texans roster unless he changes positions. & what better way to transfer his insights & understanding of the game from the QB position to the Strong Safety position? From what I remember he has the quicks, size, leadership & toughness to fill the position. :bowser:

if there is someone who has attended practices and paid attention to what he's been exposed & drilled upon that could shed some insight? I envison him becoming a Lynch type of strong safety, able to read the QB & know the opponents playbook, making the jump and taking the angle, or just holding his position to make heads up plays & big hits.
:stirpot:

HJam72

Hall of Fame
F-minus67 said:
Didn't houston already try this with no results? Has any QB sucessfully become a S in the NFL?
Yes....you can change a lot from pee-wee league to the NFL. :)

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
F-minus67 said:
Didn't houston already try this with no results? Has any QB sucessfully become a S in the NFL?
Before he became one of the top coaches in the NFL, Dungy played three seasons as an NFL safety. Before that he was a college quarterback who broke nearly every passing record at the University of Minnesota. When he graduated in 1976, he was No. 4 in the Big Ten for career total offense.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Just trying to find someway Cody could make the team as a hidden QB on the roster who would be called into duty only in the most unfortunate of circumstances. I have watched Pickett play since his days @ Washington & he always struck me as a tougher than average QB that can hit like a LB so I don't think its that much of a stretch as some people the wonger need food ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The mother of all reaches
:lightbulb: think.

Meloy

Veteran
CloakNNNdagger said:
Before he became one of the top coaches in the NFL, Dungy played three seasons as an NFL safety. Before that he was a college quarterback who broke nearly every passing record at the University of Minnesota. When he graduated in 1976, he was No. 4 in the Big Ten for career total offense.
Did not know that about Dungy. Good info.

aj.

All Pro
I remember being at an Oilers Steelers game at the Dome back in the day and Dungy (who was playing DB) had to come in at QB because Bradshaw and Hanratty both got hurt.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Well the Texans don't have a 3rd string QB and there's no way that we go into the season with just Carr and Rosenfels. I think Pickett will be our 3rd string QB and that's how he makes the roster.

Codger

Practice Squad
TexanSam said:
Well the Texans don't have a 3rd string QB and there's no way that we go into the season with just Carr and Rosenfels. I think Pickett will be our 3rd string QB and that's how he makes the roster.
Pickett is tough and has the ability, he just needs someone to fine tune his choices. I have also watched him play at Washinton and the 9ers, both teams had no line to protect him and Pickett tried to make things happen. He is an athelete but needs coaching. He is exciting to watch, and he is not afraid to take a hit, run the ball, and he will not hesitate to throw into traffic, good and bad. What I like about him is that he shakes off the bad and he is right back out on the field competing again.:cowboy1:

TexanSam said:
Sam did you watch the game on Saturday? Does the name Porter mean anything? He has looked very good for a rookie this offseason. He looks like someone worth a shot at developing. You really think Pickett has that much upside? (I am really asking).

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
painekiller said:
Sam did you watch the game on Saturday? Does the name Porter mean anything? He has looked very good for a rookie this offseason. He looks like someone worth a shot at developing. You really think Pickett has that much upside? (I am really asking).
Well Porter was playing against the Chiefs 3rd stringers. Pickett hasn't played yet this preseason so we don't know what he looks like though. I figure he'll play against the Rams but I don't know if Kubiak has said if he will or not. I don't know enough about Pickett to say whether he has upside or not. But the Texans did give up a draft pick for him so I figure the coaches and GM think he has some talent. It'll be easier to pick (as fans) between Porter and Pickett when we see them both play.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
F-minus67 said:
Nolan Cromwell was the NFC Defensive Player of the Year in 1980 and was an accomplished S as he was also a pro bowler in his career. He was the Big 8 player of the year at QB at Kansas in 1975

painekiller said:
Does the name Porter mean anything?
"Not many people know what their life's worth is. I do. Seventy grand. That's what they took from me. And that's what I was going to get back."

Sorry -- couldn't resist...

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
F-minus67 said:
Jamaal Lord was drafted by the Texans in 2004. I think he was a QB they tried to convert to free safety. That didn't work out too well.

TexanFanInCC

Veteran
F-minus67 said:
not from what i can recall, but matt jones should be a good reciever for the jags this yr.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I thought we just tried that with Jamaal Lord ? You keep thinking Beerlover, that's what you are good at. Nothing is too off the wall for me. Going to be some hard cuts. My question is who would you rather expose to the waiver wire ? A saftie/3rd sring QB or Duck with Mango salza ? Picket might slip through. Winston won't. Picket will never be an elite QB. Winston has a chance to be a blue chip O-lineman.
Gonna be some tough cuts. Rick Smith is fixin to earn his pay.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
TexanSam said:
Jamaal Lord was drafted by the Texans in 2004. I think he was a QB they tried to convert to free safety. That didn't work out too well.
Jamal Lord got picked up by somebody. Haven't heard of him being cut yet. You're not dead till the truk comes.

TexanSam said:
But the Texans did give up a draft pick for him so I figure the coaches and GM think he has some talent. It'll be easier to pick (as fans) between Porter and Pickett when we see them both play.
The Texans gave a conditional 7th round pick. Meaning he has to make the team inorder for them to have to give up the pick. So no he did not really cost us anything if we do not plan on keeping him.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
threetoedpete said:
Jamal Lord got picked up by somebody. Haven't heard of him being cut yet. You're not dead till the truk comes.
The Colts signed him. Took me a while to find his name on Google.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Vinny said:
Nolan Cromwell was the NFC Defensive Player of the Year in 1980 and was an accomplished S as he was also a pro bowler in his career. He was the Big 8 player of the year at QB at Kansas in 1975
EXCELLENT RECALL :lightbulb: that guy (Nolan Cromwell) was as tough as it gets, excellent reads & took good angles to make up for his lack of speed, just the type of Strong Safety I had in mind.

other notes:

I heard today that Pickett will get some time in the 4th quarter against the Rams @ QB. Its just that Sage & Porter have looked real good so its going to be difficult for Cody to get the nod or be the 4th QB without contributing minutes elsewhere (not that I'm betting against him).

The Jamal Lord experiment was under Capers regime, don't you have just a little more confidence in Kubiak developing talent? personally in his case I would have liked him to get some looks at WR, he sure looked like he had the athletic skills and body to do it.