Pick apart "your" guy

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by BradK10, Apr 18, 2006.

1. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

If anyone else heard the Colin Cowherd show this morning, they did something really cool. They had fans of teams call in, pick one guy who is a stud in the upcoming draft for their team, and point out their weaknesses.

Some of the responses from fans on these players were:

Jimmy Williams (Va Tech) CB - big hitter with speed and size, but will too often try to make the big play and get himself out of position

Mario Williams - no hip bend, plays very high, will have trouble getting chipped by RBs in the NFL

AJ Hawk - "catches" head on blockers instead of taking them on and delivering a blow

Eric Winston - potential, but had an awful 2005

Ernie Sims - over pursues, maybe a tweener

Vince Young - can he read a defense running an offense other than the zone read, may have fumble problems running in the NFL since defensive players at the next level focus more on stripping the ball than in college

Ashton Youboty - gets beat deep, a lot

Chad Greenway - a very poor tackler

D'Angelo Williams - too nice

Greg Blue - slow, hits like a Mack truck, but can't COVER a Mack Truck

That was about it.

NOW, can you do it, can you pick apart your "homeboy" and point out his weakness? The basis of Cowherds point for this was, that there are two things fans know more than the media about: college football players, and bullpens. Unless you're the beat writer for the team, no media sees every play of a college season or every pitchers bullpen appearance. However fans will watch every game and have a significant feel about the positives and negatives of each player.

I watched mostly A&M this year, and they don't really have many draftable guys, but I'll say that the knock on Reggie McNeal is leadership, and Jaxson Appel is ability to cover NO ONE.

2. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

Reggie Bush - To small...Wont be a every down back...

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

matt leinart - floats too many deep passes.
    mike hass - doesn't have great acceleration off the snap.

4. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Vince Young-Throwing motion is conflicted, to put it nicely. Has instinct to run more often then probably necessary. Questions about ability to fit in a typical quarterbacking system

5. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

D'brickshaw Fergueson - Problems keeping ideal weight on. He also struggles with consistency. Minor injury concerns from this year.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Vince Young.......

management decisions may have hurt his draft stock.

7. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

A true test of intellectual honesty, I like it!

Reggie Bush -

Didn't produce the stunning rushing totals usually associated with an RB projected this high. Much was made of his per-touch avg., but strictly as a RB, he may only be average.

May have trouble running between the tackles in the NFL as USC tended to stretch the field with a spread offense much of the time.

Has never handled the standard workload of an everydown back, split many carries w/ White @ USC.

Great multi-use back in college, but likely won't utilize 1/3 of those skills in the NFL as teams would be loathe to risk him (and his large contract) as a return man.

Despite Height / Weight in the range of an average NFL RB, simply appears too frail for the grind of a 16-game NFL season.

Relies on his speed to the outside too much, will be far less effective 'turning the corner' against much faster CBs in the NFL.

8. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

Congratulations, you're our first VY lover who found something that has nothing to do with the player to knock him on. You're like the VaTech fan who called in to knock D'Brick on the show today.

Runner likes this.

9. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Reggie Bush

A little smaller than the ideal size for a running back and his build is a little top heavy. I would rather see his 201-202 pounds be equally spread out, not mostly upper body.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

It's not like 10 guys have mentioned Vince's weekness. Not counting the original poster, I'm only the second guy.

11. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

I'm just sayin', saying he made a poor choice in agents is kinda a copout. Even if you agree with what other people said on Vince's weakness, you could agree.

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

he's also stupid, that's a bit of a weakness.

13. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I took an honest stab at Bush, but I'm still waiting on the Burnt-Orange-Brigade to take an honest stab at Vince.
    If 1-2 lines is all you can come up with for the guy, it's time to take off the Rose(Bowl)-colored glasses.

14. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

I think he looks to frail. He will never become a "Workhorse"?I thought maybe he will grow into the NFL but I don't know.Sounds like he will be lining up in the slot more than in the backfield.

15. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

I was honest...I followed the form of the people who posted above me. One-Two lines seemed to be par for the course.....Im not wearing any glasses.

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno.....but in case you're after a Larry Csonka or Alan Ameche type back,
    that ain't Reggie's style. Naw, see Reggie is not the Woody Haynes vintage "3 yards and a cloud of dust" type pound 'em out back of the '50s & 60s. Your are talkin bulldogs, we are talkin greyhounds.

17. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson- Needs to get bigger. Has trouble handling a bullrush. Suffers from "Yao Ming Syndrome"...does'nt show much of a mean streak :brickwall

2. Reggie Bush- Size/Durability is a concern. Will he ever be the #1 guy or just part of a 1-2 punch??:confused:

3. Mario Williams- Does'nt always give a 100%. Did'nt dominate as much as his physical ability would lead you to believe.

18. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

doesn't have to be a dissertation, but dissacks i appreciate your long response

and good point about Williams not being as dominant as his specs would lead you to believe

19. Matt_Alkire

Matt_Alkire Rookie

Some of those fans haven't watched much football.

Calling Chad Greenway a very poor tackler is absolutely false.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

My glasses have a deep hue of ernge...... so there, I've said it.

Vince has limited experience in a pro set...

I'd like to see him make a play while taking a hit.....

Needs to learn to protect the ball, when running......

Although he showed great armstrength @ his pro-day, he floated too many of the out passes in game time...... the shorter passes more so, than the deep outs.