Pick a non-loser team to cheer for

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by gtexan02, Sep 27, 2009.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

After living outsdide of Houston for the last 4 years, I've found that its almost impossible to get Texans game coverage or news if you live more than 200 miles away. Ive spent tons of time and money following this team, and more weeks than not, Ive had to walk out of a sports bar embarssed in my Texans jersey.

As such, I decided it was time I started following a local team. I picked the Ravens, because they are everything the Texans are not. A solid team with a rock solid defense.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to finally watch a team play football the way its meant to. With attitude and toughness. It makes watchign the Texans D week in and week out a little more berable.

So who is your backup NFL team? THe one you cheer for once the Texans are eliminated from relevance?

The NFL season is too short to waste it on the Texans. By week 5 or 6 we're usually all but done playoff wise. Theres too much good football to be had

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Steelers actually. I still have that memory of them from when the Oilers used to go up against them and I've got a good friend who is a Steeler fan so I just kind of started out wanting them to do good as long as it didn't interfere with the Texans "needs". Since we suck like the expansion Saints and Buc's and continue to suck for years and years I find that the Steelers "goals" and ours don't conflict much. See, they try to win a championship every year and we try to finally get over .500. Plus once the playoffs start the Texans no longer matter.

God I hate the Houston Texans right now. They're like a weekly (or bi-weekly maybe) dose of the Buffalo loss. They're like a M-F depression machine. They're everything that was bad about the Oilers (except the owner but McNair's starting to really piss me off now that I think about it....) with none of the good. They're like the Oilers inept early 70's and early 80's without ever getting better.

3. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Jets. Buddy er... I mean Rex Ryan is everything Gary Kubiak is not, and he gets his team ready to play. Sanchez is an up and coming QB, and the New York defense plays with a fire the Texans could never even dream of except for when they feel like they have something to prove. The Jets D acts like they have something to prove every week.

4. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

there really isn't another team i would cheer for week to week

5. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Whoever is playing the Cowboys?

6. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

For the most part I've been keeping the Steelers as my lover on the side. I just need a team who has a bruising offense and a relentless defense to channel my anger through, although lately I've been faltering towards the Ravens.

7. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Good choices. Every once in a while the only way to make a marriage work is to have a lover or two on the side...

8. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

Especially on Sunday. Have one at 12 one at 3 and one at 7. hey oh! hahaha

9. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

just root for the underdog in every game

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't have one. I have players that I root for, and that ends up resulting in some team that I'm rooting for, but really it's just players. Since Singletary took over, I find myself rooting for the 49ers, and when they drafted Coffee, that just sort of solidified it. Plus, I like that thye kept the Cowboys out of the SB so many times. I really want to see Kolb do well, so I'm rooting for the Eagles, which works doubly well when they play the Cowboys. I root for Brandon Jacobs, which also works well when they play the Cowboys. And I've always liked Santana Moss, which also works well when they play the Cowboys.

I think there's a trend in there, but more analysis is required.

:D

11. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

yeah, I tried that after the Oilers left. Just ain't the same.

more power to those who want to go be fans of another team though...

12. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

My wife is from Saint Louis so that was working out well for a little while at my NFC team of choince. Now... not so much.

13. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

14. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I like the Saints, Rams, Patriots, and whoever plays the Cowboys. I can't ever legitimately follow them and love them though.

15. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

Well, the Raiders are my team. The team I root for after them is the Texans...so yeah:crying:.

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

If I were you, I'd just never repeat that again. And try to delete this post.

17. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

It is tempting, and call me dumb, but I'll continue to root for both teams whether they win the playoffs or pull a Lions and go 0-16. I guess if I *had* to pick a winning team to root for, I'd go with the 49ers, Vikings, or Jets.

18. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

UH... oh, you mean nfl.. either the ravens or the eagles.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Well, I don't know if I'd go with dumb, but I figure with that combo of teams, you had to choose one of them at some point. Some of us were born into unfortunate fandom, but choosing one of those willingly ... hmm. I'll have to think about that.

20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Denver is AFC #2 and Chicago is NFC team. I have always liked the tough nosed Chicago Bear D's of the past and I thought Kubes would bring his success in Denver with him to Htown.