Phillip Buchanon

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Aug 19, 2006.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'm surprised a thread hasn't been started about him. He looked impressive today. He looked very good on punt returns and he didn't look too shabby as a CB. He wasn't mind-blowing, but I think he played well enough to earn a starting spot next week opposite Dunta Robinson. He didn't look like the Buchanon from last year, IMO. Out of the two pass interference penalties, I think one was totally bogus. Buch not turning around during one of the throws is his fault, but the guy falling in the endzone wasn't because Buchanon pushed him.

2. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

yeah, that 2nd pass interference was a horrible call, the receiver fell clear as day

3. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Definitely looked better than McCleon.

4. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I read he forced a fumble or 2, and did good on punt returns, I have to go through and read the gameday thread.

5. BattleRedRaider

BattleRedRaider All Pro

Best start PBuch has had as a Texan.

6. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

forced a fumble, recovered by a ram

recovered a fumble at the start of the 3rd

7. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I forgot about that. He did force a fumble. It's kind of like what Derrick Johnson does. He hit the ball out of the recievers hands by swinging around I think. Unfortunately, when the ball came out it rolled about 5 or 10 yards upfield and the Rams gained even more yardage. But it was a good play, just dumb luck that the ball managed to help the Rams more than hurt them.

8. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Thankyou, I was gone during the game so I'm just getting the information right now.

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

His first pass interference penalty was all Phillip. The second one was total BS and it seemed to me that the Rams QB's spent the rest of the game trying to pick on Buchanon but really didn't accomplish all that much. I thought he did good for the most part.

10. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

Just being close enough to receivers to get called twice for interference (even if one was a bad call) makes this his best game as a Texan. You don't even get bad interference calls when the receiver is 15 yards away...

11. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I thought he sure looked good returning those punts...

12. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

You guys seem a little more encouraged than I am. I think it was the Radio Broadcast that called him "Big Play" because every time he is on the field there is a big play going one direction or the other. He showed some flashes, but what was discouraging for me was when he made mistakes that didn't require hm to hit anybody. I've come to grips with the fact that he will never be physical, but turning around to look at the ball instead of face guarding the WR is just basic football. If he is going to be a pure cover corner, he needs to get a lot more polished in his ability to cover.

13. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Fortunately that's what training camp is ALL about :)

14. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

agreed, plus he returned punts like they were bad wedding presents.

15. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

He's been around long enough to be better than he is. He is an athlete that happens to line up at CB. The guy missed his calling as a WR. He could have had a long career as a Todd Pinkston type.

16. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

what did he do wrong yesterday besides the 1 play where he did not look for the ball?

and knowing hoke, he heard it on the sidelines

17. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

I guess I should slow down before I dig myself a hole I can't get out of.

I had to listen to the second half on the radio and the guys on Fan Feedback after the game spent the whole first segment talking about how the Rams' WRs were taking turns picking on Buchanon. They also went into the whether or not he was worth keeping on the team purely as a punt returner because he is a "Lame Duck at CB" (their words - not mine). Was I the only one who heard all that? They probably spent 10 minutes bashing him.

That is why I was suprised to see so much love for the guy, but since I don't have any specifics, I'll bow out.

18. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Agree. Though not giving up the big play, Dexter seemed to be burned quite often on receptions. As for PB - overall, not too bad. Yeah, there was that one definite interference call when the Rams went for it on 4th and 3, but otherwise a decent overall game.

Can't put the other call on him, as others noted, the refs gave the rams that one.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The guys on Fan Feedback should be the lame ducks. In any event--McLeon was exploited much much more than Buchanon yesterday. Buchanon showed much improved physical play redirecting a WR at the line of scrimmage and in his tackling. He stayed far tighter to his man than Mcleon who was repeatedly well away.

20. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

little bit of love, but just a pleasant surprise. he was jamming receivers, closing in good, and returning punts like it was nobodys business.

i cant see why they would actually bash him that much. IIRC he only allowed 2 receptions last night on whoever he was covering