PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 10: Houston Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 20, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Ten is certainly not a glowing vote of confidence for a SuperBowl run.

THE REST OF THE STORY

2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Ravens weren't a top 10 contender last year. Preseason endorsements don't concern me. Have to play great at then end of the season.

3. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Cant really argue with anything they said, we have a lot of good talent at some key positions. Schaub appears to be a weakness, the O-line is in question, Reed is a downgrade over quin in the aspect of long term potential he does bring swagger and experience though.

I am feeling really positive about this season, with the draft and everything i feel we wont see a drop off in talent anywhere, and i think the right side of the o-line will be improved.

This could very well be our year, if not and Schaub fails to perform in clutch then i feel we wont see him here starting next year.

4. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Florio and the team at PFT don't really like the Texans much anyway since he's been picking other teams to win the division the last 2 years so this is no surprise. The Texans really didn't help the situation either by playing so poorly at the end of the season. I would have put us around 6 or 7 so I can't really complain about this all that much.

5. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Anyone else excited that this is the last week of no football? Fri is training camp and two weeks after that we are playing the Vikings. :spin:

6. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Not Exactly. Here's last year's PFT Pre-season rankings. Link

Trail.Blazr likes this.
  7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

PFT had Ravens at #5 in 2012. No matter, the midgets at PFT know about as much about pro football as Jerruh Jones and his son, Boy.

Yeah, I'm pumped.

8. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Florio is a tool. I listen to him on In the Loop on Fridays and although entertaining still a tool.

How can anyone pick the Titans or Colts to finish 1st in the division. Neither team has the talent that we do and our coaching staff is head and shoulders above theirs.

Haters do what they do best, hate.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

They haven't ranked the 9 teams ahead of the Texans yet. But by omission of the teams not on the list, here is what I came up with.

9. Bengals - The Texans have had their number in the playoffs the past 2 years. Don't see anything Cincy has done to assume that would change.
    8. Ravens - They are the defending champs, though they've lost a lot in this offseason. I think they are in real danger to slip out of the playoffs entirely.
    7. Saints - Still not sure why the return of head coach Sean Payton will help the one of the very worst defenses in the NFL.
    6. Patriots - I think they are a paper tiger, considering all of their offseason losses and turmoil. But they do have Tom Brady, so I guess that fact alone ranks them ahead of many teams.
    5. Falcons - Often compared to the Texans in terms of regular season success but playoff disappointment.
    4. Packers - They've proven that they should be ranked ahead of the Texans.
    3. Broncos - Very similar talent base to the Texans. One has Peyton Manning, the other doesn't.
    2. Seahawks - I still think this team has holes. But what they do well (defense and controlling they ball), they do as well as anyone.
    1. 49ers - Should go into the 2013 as the favorite.

I would rank the Texans around 6 or 7. But if we see the Matt Schaub of December/January, then there may be a struggle just to win the division. I have to agree with the jest of the blog piece. The 2013 season is about which Matt Schaub shows up.

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Bah humbug on Payton Manning. For all his publicity, he's got one ring. I'll take Tom Brady over him any day of the week. And as to Schaub, this is the very last year I'm going easy on him if he doesn't start producing when it counts. He's done some fine things for us in the past, but has yet to do what top notch Super Bowl QBs do. We'll see. I think he's capable, but I want to SEE it.

11. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Schaub is 32 years old. He is the QB that he is. If we win the SB we are going to have to run the ball and play defense.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

OK I will take the 3 rings as a fan but really how much of that reflects on the QB?

Brady 3 SB wins - 9 points total over the opponents.
    Manning 1 SB win - 12 points.
    Aikman - 3 SB wins - 62 points.

I don't know of the most die hard Cowboys fan who would argue Aikman is a better QB than Manning or Brady. I am sure someone has a chromosome deficient example otherwise.

Now Aikman was the turtle during the regular season and became the hare in the post-season. People don't give him credit for that.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I sure would have liked to see that run game or defense in our last game.

Like iCak said, the play offs are a totally different thing. Flacco is Jeckyl/Hyde when we're talking regular/post season. Schaub's been in two play-off games... maybe we just haven't seen who he really is.

14. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

Definitely. Then 5 full months of continuous football into February!

15. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

And 5 moew months of us blessed by your trash talking of anything that has to do with the texans. :wadepalm:

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Schaub may be 32, but Brady is 36 and Manning is a year older than that and
    those guys can't go on forever at the level of play they've had historically, especially Manning who has got to be a real risk for reinjury with his medical problems.
    If we can get some stability and continuity restored to the right side of our OLine so that our rushing game can find its Mojo, we don't have to stress out about Schaub being unable to step up his game to approach the performances of the Mannings & Bradys so long as he can avoid the pics.

17. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

As you said, we need to get better in other areas on and off the field, and hope that Schaub can get us there at his current level. I think he can. He's good enough and gets more than his share of the blame.

Call a good offense. Get the guy another couple of effective WRs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  18. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Hmmm jaws said 9th best q b and PFT ranks us a ten. Nuff said

19. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

10th going into the preseason?

lol ok bro

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The NFL is made up of a few good teams & a bunch of bad teams. Being ranked 10th means we're the best of the bad, or at least into the "not so bad" range.