PFT Power Ranking: Texans #7

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 21, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Preseason Power Rankings No. 7: Houston Texans
    Posted by Darin Gantt on July 21, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  2. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    ...and folks around the country are realizing it. This from a Buffalo fan:

rabidbillsfan says:
    Jul 21, 2012 4:05 PM
    @oilman

I have to disagree with you. As a Bills fan, this is the team I think Buffalo can be in the next few years. There is almost no weakness to this team. Shut down AJ, Owen Daniels steps up. Shut down the passing game, Foster will run all over you. Shut down the offense? That defense will keep it close so it can be a 1 score game. There is no other team in the NFL that boasts this much balance. As long as their core stays relativley healthy, and not all of the guys go down at once or for extended periods of time, this team is a favorite in the AFC. I think the road to the superbowl goes through Texas, and no, not Dallas.

This was one of the responses to to the article Doc posted.

Kinda slow on the news scene and I'm always up for a little Texans love. :kingkong:

3. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

That is one of the best responses from a fan of another team about our Texans that I have ever read.

4. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

One thing that is notable about the article is that he didn't mention Joel Dreesen's departure. I wonder how closely he really follows the team.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Losing backup Tight Ends don't usually cause a blip on the radar. Dreessen played well for the Texans, but his slack can (and should) be taken up by Casey. I thought it was one of the more accurate previews I've seen of the Texans.

6. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

So, either you don't follow the team either, or you don't know what to look at.

He had twice as many TD receptions as anyone else last year. That's a notable omission. This looks like just another homer preview.

As far as Casey, he has been on the roster for a few years, had his opportunities to replace Dreesen as a "backup tight end", and never could do it.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Except Kubiak had managed to utilize all three of our "TEs" on gameday, even going so far as "featuring" Casey in one. It was Casey's versatility that allowed us to move him to Full Back/H-Back... not that he "wasn't good enough"

Then again, Casey is still on the team, Dressen is not. That sounds like a replacement to me.

8. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

It's a replacement, just like putting on a spare tire, but it's a downgrade.

To use your example, when Kubiak only had two TEs on the field, it was always OD and Dreesen. Casey was "featured" only when they used three. He never could displace Dreesen to get out of being third string TE, because Dreesen was clearly better.

9. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

So aggressive. Might want to switch to decaf.

Do you follow the Texans? Because Casey was a total badass until he got injured last year.

Joel who?

We won't even notice he's gone.

10. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

If you're asking who Joel Dreesen is, then you must not follow the Texans either. He's been a contributor for us for years.

I hope he does well with the Broncos.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'm almost definitely sure that's not true but I don't have access to the games anymore so I can't go back and look. I'm not saying it wasn't MOSTLY OD and Dreessen but I think there were lots of plays with other combinations of TEs.

12. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

He did have some good plays but have you noticed how completely open he was on most of those plays. On probably 80% of them no one was within ten yards. And it wasnt because of some great route running skills the play action in the redzone just totally fooled the other team.Casey has the best hands on the team I am pretty sure he could run into an uncovered area and then catch a ball that my 10 year old son could catch. Not taking anything away from him and he did have some not so easy plays but most of his plays he was basically uncovered.

13. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Everyone's fanhood being called into question today?

14. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

I understand some may feel Dreesen will be easily replaced, but you almost "have" to mention the departure! He was one of the most solid #2s in the league...

I feel Casey and Graham combined can more than replace Dreesen's production, but it's still a big deal...Dreesen was actually good...

15. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

"can't be a fan cuz he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me. I can't get no....da na naaaaa........"

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

"Don't follow the team", or "don't know what I'm looking at"? Tough call. Um, I'm going to go with "don't know what I'm looking at".

Despite my analytical disability, I do somehow know how to spell Dreessen's name. Go figure.

17. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

Congrats.

The good news is that the season starts soon, and we will get to see the ramifications of these player changes.

18. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Yup... That was a pretty awesome response.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

No, that's not what I said. There were plenty of times when it was just OD & Casey, or Dressen & Casey, or Casey & no TEs.

And instead of thinking in terms of downgrade, think more in terms of letting Casey acclimate to the game. Lots of positions, players don't really develop until their third or fourth year (take Derell Revis for example).

Let's not make it seem like Dressen was a pro-bowl TE, or that he was irreplaceable. We picked him up as a free agent, he wasn't on anyone's radar. We let him go. He wasn't on anyone's radar.

I can't wait to see what he's able to do with Peyton Manning, the way Peyton has a knack for making TEs.

20. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Good preview. ALL about health.

I DO think we'll miss Joel Dreesen more than people think. A player doesn't have to be a star to be severely missed.