PFF Three Years of Drop Rate for Wide Receivers - Sticky Fingers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by pec0sb0b, Jul 2, 2012.

1. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

[​IMG]

Once again we are shown that Kevin Walter has hands like a tree frog.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/02/three-years-of-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

- much respect for former Texan Jabar Gaffney (number 7 on the list)

ObsiWan likes this.
  2. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Walter just never appears to get much seperation. Great hands and all, if your not open your not an option for the quarterback.

Good article.

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

He's not, nor has he ever been a receiver that can get "seperation"... He's known to run good inside, "clear-out" routes... Steve Largent was never known to get separartion and was known as the "slowest receiver" EVER!!! That worked out pretty well for him and Seattle... As an aside, the Oilers effed up by not retaining him (Largent that is), no??

4. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

When did Houston become HST and not HOU?

5. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Plenty of slow wideouts who get/got separation by route/hand play/or other nuisance. I know hes typically a 3-5 option on plays but personally I expect to see more production. At least jacoby was considered a bit of deep threat for a while.

Largent worked out pretty damn good. I was fortunate to see his last season or 2.

6. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Walter slides in as TE on a lot of plays, I've also seen him line up at "h-back". The guy can block like a FB and catches passes thrown to him at a very high rate.

Walter may not be our Jordy Nelson who can break big plays but I also don't see Nelson motioning into the backfield as a blocker very often.

I know Walter needs to be upgraded at some point but there is very good reason he is still our #2 after all these years.

7. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Pretty sure that's what they are on official scorecards.

8. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

9. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Really...I have to admit that's the first time I've seen it listed that way...for that matter it's not something I really give a flip about so probably I've probably seen it a bunch of times and just didn't care. Just one of those things that seem to catch my eye this time.

10. Rey

Rey Guest

There's also a reason they asked him to take a pay cut this off-season.

thunderkyss likes this.
  11. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Largent was the true example of being able to cut on a dime. The guy was the best route runner of all time in my opinion. That combined with great hands is what made him an incredible receiver. You can have the best DBs line up on him but he always has the advantage becuase only he knew which direction he was going. Don't want to hijack the thread, but here's a good piece on him for those interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xngEhkD9uuA. On a side note, Zorn was a great scrambler (not by choice) and could make things happen with Largent on the fly.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If I'm not mistaken, we were trading with Seattle and ended up getting Earl Campbell right? Or was that for Oscar Giles?

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think the Oilers cut him after his first training camp

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Anyone notice Jabbar Gafney at 7th best drop percentage?

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

With access to the All-22 film this season, I think we'll find out for certain once and for all that this is imply untrue. He is not targeted all that frequently, but it's by design rather than ability.

It's funny. All anyone ever seems to remember are two plays - the one that hit him in the back of the shoulder (which I believe was on Carr) and the one drop he had in or near the end zone. My memory is getting fuzzy on the early years, thankfully. But I do remember posting a statistical breakdown that showed Gaffney was a very good WR for the Texans. I believe it was after the '04 season, he had the highest catch percentage of anyone on the team, the fewest drops, and the most yards per catch, considerably ahead of AJ in the latter category. The gist of it was basically when he was targeted, Gaffney was a very productive receiver. Of course back then, DD was the primary target of every play LOL.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I just got a little sad for remembering that I posted something eight years ago.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I did. Before we even saw this article.

18. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Gaff was the first player the Texans released that I truly had an issue with. The man was money over the middle.

19. powda

powda Hall of Fame

I think some of it is a bi-product of design. I'm willing to say its unreasonable to expect 70 reception seasons because of how he's used ,but he should be in the 50-60 reception range. I just dont see enough production or homerun ability.

I think hes not targeted more often because he's not open. Feel free to post screen shots ala 76 because the TV view sucks.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think the routes he is asked to run are by design not open. It's his job to confuse the defense and drag a couple of defenders a couple yards off their spot while AJ or the TE goes up the seam or on a deep in route. The first game that AJ was out, for instance, Walter was targeted only once, while JJ was targeted 11 times. That tells me they weren't even trying to use Walter as their #1 WR in AJ's absence.

I'm looking forward to the All-22 to see if that's true. We shall see.