[PFF] Okoye - #1 Tackle Attempts per Miss

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

2. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I don't know....any analysis that shows Jacques Reeves is "good" and Nnamdi asomugha is "bad" I can't take too seriously.

3. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Shaun Cody ranks at the top. What does it mean?

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

The lower the ratio, the worse. :foottap:

5. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

He excels at being the worse, duh! :specnatz:

6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

So Cody is great and Okoye is poo?

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

No and yes. Cody's not great, but serviceable. Okoye is probably a few days from being cut.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I wished we could get a 7th round pick before he goes.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Hilarious

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It means that if Shaun Cody gets his mitts on you, your ass is tackled.

If Amobi Okoye gets his mitts on you, you've got a pretty good chance of slipping out of his grasp.

Sounds like someone needs to either learn to wrap up OR work on their grip strength.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I find it odd that Bentley was the only Texans LB on here AND that he was top 15. Does this infer that Bentley is a better LB than Ryans? I know he missed most of last with an injury.
    I also wouldn't put too much emphasis on the DB #'s. I wouldn't pay my CB's to be tackling machines. A dominant CB won't have enough passes thrown his way to be good at tackling. That's what I want to see.

This seems like a cherry picked article. It says 2008-2010 but it doesn't show MW or Ryans. They were definitely in the mix tackles wise. How come they don't show up? I'd like to see a full list not just top and bottom 15.

12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Posluszney should be available and would be a great fit in our 3-4 at ILB.

13. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Someone needs to get Okoye some Stick 'Um

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

As much as many fans revere Demeco, let's keep it real. Since his rookie year (2006), he has never had reached 100 tackles (125 in 2006, 99 in 2007, 86 in 2008, 93 in 2009, and 32 in 6 games in 2010). He has had only 8 sacks in 5 seasons, with 3.5 occurring in his rookie year.

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Because it's not about the NUMBER of tackles, it's about the ratio of hits and misses. This number doesn't tell how GOOD a player is, it tells how good a player is at making the tackle when they have the chance.

When Bentley got a chance to tackle you, he tackled you. He wrapped you up and put you down. The problem is, he's not good enough to get into the right spot quick enough to put himself in position to make the tackle like Cush and Demeco. They aren't as sure at tackling as he is but they're better linebackers and see the field more.

This isn't an indication of how good or bad someone is at playing their position. It's just an indication of how good or bad they are at tackling.

16. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I can't imagine what these clowns saw in Okoye to make him a top 10 pick ahead of some truly elite players. Cut him, admit mistake and cut him, save the money for guys who at least EARNED the right to ask for bookoobucks. Cut Okoye and make Leach a happy fullback. Make an offer to some REAL defensive backs.

Seriously, what was it? He's not a good tackler, he's not explosive off the line, his pass rush repetoire includes hoping the OL doesn't notice him, he's not productive, he's not capable of taking attention off of Mario or using the attention paid to Mario to his advantage, he's not over powering, he doesn't get his hands up.....geezus, should I go on? He hasn't progressed a single step since having the keys handed over to him, he costs a boatload and he totally sucks in every situation, every down.

Cut.

17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I can't think of that many missed tackles for Ryans or MW. MW seems to be a very sure tackler. I do see a lot of RB's kick it back inside against MW. He's pretty good at staying at home and/or stringing plays out to the sidelines.
    I would also have to say that tackling would be a very good indication as to how good a defensive player, that isn't a cb, is.

18. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

You are only looking at solo tackles. You need to consider total tackles.

In 2006, Meco had 126 solo and 30 assisted for 156 total (#2 overall)
    In 2007, Meco had 99 solo and 29 assisted for 128 total. (# 6 overall)
    In 2008, Meco had 86 solo and 26 assisted for 112 total. (# 28 overall)
    In 2009, Meco had 93 solo and 30 assisted for 123 total. (# 8 overall)(Meco was one tackle out of the top 10).

It should be noted that in 2009 Cushing's numbers were:
    86 solo, 47 assisted for 133 (#6) overall.

Meco is a top 10 tackler when healthy. He had one bad season in 2008 and did not play a full 2010. I expect him and Cushing to be back in the top 10 in 2011.

19. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Ha, when all we hear about is how good this corner is at tackling, willing tackler, yadayadayada nobody ever says "CAN HE COVER?!?!"

Wade's picks, Harris/Carmicheal seem like guys who are "Cover first" (like that should even be a question) type of corners. These guys like Quin and Jackson and Molden and Bennett all seemed like safeties who were just a little short of being able to play corner.

20. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

not much weight here...DL are never tackling machines that ratio to miss is going to be high...they do the dirty work for LBs to make the plays (tackles)...the same argument can be made that if a DL has more attempts then he is more disruptive which again can lead to others making more plays or causing the offense to do something it didnt want to do.