Peyton Manning's Return May Not Be So Imminent

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by eriadoc, Aug 22, 2008.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

According to one well-respected blogger, there's some fishy stuff going on with Manning's recovery, and a second surgery that wasn't disclosed. When asked about it, Dungy neither confirmed nor denied.

Link to Blog

So ... just a blog entry so far, but worth watching.

BTW, the blog author probably has a few connections and decent info. Here's his bio:

I wonder if Kubiak knows him?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I know this isn't good sportsmanship, but I'm still not too upset that the injury
    bug which has wrecked hovoc on our roster in recent years has bitten one of our divison rivals.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Don't tell anyone, but I'm with ya :splits:

Besides, according to TexansChick, Manning has a deal with the devil anyway :D

4. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

There's also some rumblings about Shawne Merriman's knee injury being more serious than the Chargers have suggested. I believe there was a blog entry or rumor about him considering surgery.

5. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

That deal only covered him winning a superbowl. Now that he has won one it is time to pay the piper. :ouch:

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I would never revel in a player's injury...but...uhhh....I can't say that I'd be too upset to play a Manning-less Colts.

:piano: I'm just sayin'...

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

I read somewhere, can't remember where - but there are good odds it was in one of TexanChick's blogs - that the bursa sac provides the lubrication to the knee. When it is removed, you end up with bone on bone contact and arthritis ensues. This does not sound good for the longevity of Peyton's career.

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I want to be very PC here, but:

Can I start calling him a bust now? :photos:

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Lombardi is a younger version of Charley Casserly. He's burnt so many bridges with NFL teams, he's turned to the media. He's also on SI.com & did a lot of draft stuff on NFL Network. Prior to getting the boot from Al Davis, Forbes listed Lombardi as the worst GM in pro sports. But as you say, he has connections and that's what we're looking for in a rumor mill.

Everyone is penciling in the Colts as a playoff team. Understandable, as Indy has gone to the playoffs 8 of the past 9 seasons. But, it's not just Manning who is in doubt for this season. Freeney is coming off a serious foot injury. Sanders has a chronic shoulder injury. Harrison is coming off an injury marred season, entering his 13th year in the league.

While Manning is a must, these other players in question are also needed. And playing one of the toughest schedules in football, inside the leagues toughest division, the Colts are no longer a playoff lock. If they do make it in, it will be by having to play to win all the way to the last week. Not putting it in cruise control for the last 2 or 3 games.

Indy is the King of the AFC South, going 24-8 in the division and winning very title since 2003. But, they've never been more vulnerable as now. Every team in the division has been tooled to beat the Colts. Every team in the division is more physical than the Colts. Every team in the division is hungrier than the Colts. In 2008, the King will be dead. Who will wear the crown?

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I don't know, but VY will get drunk with a bunch of guys and wear the rest of the outfit.

Hervoyel and Vinnie like this.
  11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Señor Stan likes this.
  12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Okay so I've given it some thought. You know how the NFL is already giving you an early indication they want a Manning vs. Manning SuperBowl? My thinking is that whatever team takes out Peyton for the year will have to pay that price and that price may come at a playoffs cost.

13. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

Someone that knows photoshop needs to make an 'official' Colts walker.

14. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Don't worry. Haynesworth will do it. :)

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

It would eventually end up bone to bone, as the bone wears away the cartildge(sp). It shouldn't be bone to bone right now, and something else is causing the swelling...

As a side note, this is not the way I want to win the division. I want to beat the best at their best..

But hey, you gotta play the hand you're dealt right??

16. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Peyton is tough as nails. He won't let it hurt their chances, Im afraid

17. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Peyton has been a GREAT HOF player. He'll be missed when he retires whether that's due to injury or age..who knows that but he's one of those players years from now you'll be glad you saw playing.

18. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Even if Harrison, Sanders and Freeney are healthy, a Peyton-less Colt outfit looks an awful lot like a 5-11 team. I don't think a single player in the league--Brady included--means more to his team than Manning does.

If Peyton indeed made a deal with the devil, then Lucifer was awfully nice to throw in as a bonus Eli ruining the Patsies' perfect season the very next season. It's not like the Prince of Darkness to give out such freebies. Maybe it was a package deal.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

We've played for the last few years with just insane injuries. I'm afraid "the best" has rarely if ever faced us at our best so I'm not going to give them even a tiny bit of pity and I'll take the division any way I can get it.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

He didn't. He did it to taunt Peyton who had to sit there and watch his little brother do what he couldn't.