Pettway Signed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texasguy346, Jun 16, 2005.

1. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

FOX just reported that the Texans and Kenneth Pettway have agreed to terms, and he becomes the first Texans rookie drafted to sign. They also had an interesting piece on C.C. Brown.

2. TheGus

TheGus Rookie

is he good?

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

he's a sleeper pick, played DE @ Grambling State & considered a pass rushing force, has both excellent speed (4.6/40) and size (6-4 255) Kenneth should be an excellent fit in the 3-4 as a OLB back-up for Peek. yes you could say I'm quite high on him :highfive:

4. trutexan67

trutexan67 Rookie

Had an opportunity to see a few Grambling games. Pettway is legit.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He played OLB and DE in college. Looks like a $40k signing bonus, 3 year league minimum deal.

6. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Rookie

What is the league minimum for a rookie?

7. William.carter

William.carter Veteran

From what i've heard and read about this guy he'll be a significant investment in the future of our team. Well suited for situational plays and confusing the defense. If he can improve some fundamentals and strengthen his pass protection and coverage skills, he is a serious threat as a starting outside linebacker. Great pickup for the Texans IMHO.

8. ojthecat

ojthecat Veteran

I am pretty sure that Babin and Peek will be starting :rolleyes:

9. William.carter

William.carter Veteran

I'm sorry. I should have clarified that statement. I meant in the future, and not the near future either. But for depth and as a development project for future contribution to the Texans, I think was a real gem in the late rounds like that.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

If he makes the team, he will be on the practice squad.

11. William.carter

William.carter Veteran

Chronicle article - Pettway signing

This article in todays paper spells out the details of his contract. It will interesting to see which linebackers make the final cut. competition is deep for LB and WR this season... a good thing in my opinion.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It changes a little each year. I think it is about $235,000 for a rookie this year.

13. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

The back-up LB's will probably wind up being Anderson, Pettway, Evans, and Zeke. Practice squad guys should wind up being DD Achonolu, R. Orr, S. Orr. That is even if we stil have the Orr's still on our payroll. Thet're not related.

14. 281

281 Hall of Fame

Raheem Orr has been with the Giants for about a year...

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Im thinking Anderson, Cheatwood, Polk, and then either Orr, Evans, or Moreno.. kinda hard to decide which one though.

Orr and Evans are both special team stars.. the problem is that both (I think) are OLBs.. id say that Orr has the upper hand in this one. Moreno is a ILB.. but I dont know just how much of a special teams contributor he can be.

I would put money on Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk as depth.. but not sure on Orr, Evans, and Moreno.. everyone else is camp fodder I think.. except our starters of course. Pettway, I think, will be practice squad.

16. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i think pettway will be just like charlie anderson...no one really expects him to even make the team but he will and when someone gets hurt...he'll come in and surprise a couple of people...i think it will be him and anderson backing up the OLB's because look at guys like cheatwood and achonolu they didn't make it at first in the NFL for a reason...pettway being from grambling state means that one of our scouts saw him and thinks he can be something special and with our Linebacker coach who has a reputation for turning late round linebackers into solid starters...give pettway a chance...as for ILB's backing up wong and greenwood it will be moreno and polk...chamberlin, evans are not going to last...i think the darkhorse might be monk

17. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Look at Derrick Armstrong. He didnt make it the first time around either.

Cheatwood led the CFL in sacks last season.. and was 3rd in sacks the season before.. the guy has SOMETHING going for him.. I think it will be enough to earn him a spot on the roster. We will have to see if he has the attitude for it though.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

:thumbup

Belgian trappist Monks make some of the best beer in the world :party:

[​IMG]

19. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

How could you say that maybe Moreno will make the team. I don't know if there is even a chance that he won't make the team. Moreno took over for Randall Godfrey in 2003 when he got hurt and in 15 games he got 96 tackles and 2 sacks with 4 passes defended. The guy has proven that he can play football at the NFL level which Orr, Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk can't say.

20. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Yeah, and Moreno plays ILB, seems like we're loaded with OLBs. Besides the starting 4, I'd think he's got the best chance to make the team. I think the other front runners to make the team would be Anderson OLB, Polk ILB, Evans ILB, S. Orr ILB/OLB, Chamberlin ILB. Pettway will probably be practice squad until mid season. I'm thinking special teams play will play a big part in selection of these reserve LBs. This will be one of the best positions to watch in training camp for competition.