Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pettway Signed

texasguy346

Mod Squad
FOX just reported that the Texans and Kenneth Pettway have agreed to terms, and he becomes the first Texans rookie drafted to sign. They also had an interesting piece on C.C. Brown.

TheGus said:
is he good?

he's a sleeper pick, played DE @ Grambling State & considered a pass rushing force, has both excellent speed (4.6/40) and size (6-4 255) Kenneth should be an excellent fit in the 3-4 as a OLB back-up for Peek. yes you could say I'm quite high on him :highfive:

From what i've heard and read about this guy he'll be a significant investment in the future of our team. Well suited for situational plays and confusing the defense. If he can improve some fundamentals and strengthen his pass protection and coverage skills, he is a serious threat as a starting outside linebacker. Great pickup for the Texans IMHO.

ojthecat said:
I am pretty sure that Babin and Peek will be starting :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I should have clarified that statement. I meant in the future, and not the near future either. But for depth and as a development project for future contribution to the Texans, I think was a real gem in the late rounds like that.

William.carter said:
Chronicle article - Pettway signing

This article in todays paper spells out the details of his contract. It will interesting to see which linebackers make the final cut. competition is deep for LB and WR this season... a good thing in my opinion.
The back-up LB's will probably wind up being Anderson, Pettway, Evans, and Zeke. Practice squad guys should wind up being DD Achonolu, R. Orr, S. Orr. That is even if we stil have the Orr's still on our payroll. Thet're not related.

Im thinking Anderson, Cheatwood, Polk, and then either Orr, Evans, or Moreno.. kinda hard to decide which one though.

Orr and Evans are both special team stars.. the problem is that both (I think) are OLBs.. id say that Orr has the upper hand in this one. Moreno is a ILB.. but I dont know just how much of a special teams contributor he can be.

I would put money on Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk as depth.. but not sure on Orr, Evans, and Moreno.. everyone else is camp fodder I think.. except our starters of course. Pettway, I think, will be practice squad.

i think pettway will be just like charlie anderson...no one really expects him to even make the team but he will and when someone gets hurt...he'll come in and surprise a couple of people...i think it will be him and anderson backing up the OLB's because look at guys like cheatwood and achonolu they didn't make it at first in the NFL for a reason...pettway being from grambling state means that one of our scouts saw him and thinks he can be something special and with our Linebacker coach who has a reputation for turning late round linebackers into solid starters...give pettway a chance...as for ILB's backing up wong and greenwood it will be moreno and polk...chamberlin, evans are not going to last...i think the darkhorse might be monk

look at guys like cheatwood and achonolu they didn't make it at first in the NFL for a reason

Look at Derrick Armstrong. He didnt make it the first time around either.

Cheatwood led the CFL in sacks last season.. and was 3rd in sacks the season before.. the guy has SOMETHING going for him.. I think it will be enough to earn him a spot on the roster. We will have to see if he has the attitude for it though.

keyfro said:
i think pettway will be just like charlie anderson...no one really expects him to even make the team but he will and when someone gets hurt...he'll come in and surprise a couple of people...i think it will be him and anderson backing up the OLB's because look at guys like cheatwood and achonolu they didn't make it at first in the NFL for a reason...pettway being from grambling state means that one of our scouts saw him and thinks he can be something special and with our Linebacker coach who has a reputation for turning late round linebackers into solid starters...give pettway a chance...as for ILB's backing up wong and greenwood it will be moreno and polk...chamberlin, evans are not going to last...i think the darkhorse might be monk

:thumbup

Belgian trappist Monks make some of the best beer in the world :party:

orval.jpg

Grid said:
Im thinking Anderson, Cheatwood, Polk, and then either Orr, Evans, or Moreno.. kinda hard to decide which one though.

Orr and Evans are both special team stars.. the problem is that both (I think) are OLBs.. id say that Orr has the upper hand in this one. Moreno is a ILB.. but I dont know just how much of a special teams contributor he can be.

I would put money on Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk as depth.. but not sure on Orr, Evans, and Moreno.. everyone else is camp fodder I think.. except our starters of course. Pettway, I think, will be practice squad.

How could you say that maybe Moreno will make the team. I don't know if there is even a chance that he won't make the team. Moreno took over for Randall Godfrey in 2003 when he got hurt and in 15 games he got 96 tackles and 2 sacks with 4 passes defended. The guy has proven that he can play football at the NFL level which Orr, Anderson, Cheatwood, and Polk can't say.

Yeah, and Moreno plays ILB, seems like we're loaded with OLBs. Besides the starting 4, I'd think he's got the best chance to make the team. I think the other front runners to make the team would be Anderson OLB, Polk ILB, Evans ILB, S. Orr ILB/OLB, Chamberlin ILB. Pettway will probably be practice squad until mid season. I'm thinking special teams play will play a big part in selection of these reserve LBs. This will be one of the best positions to watch in training camp for competition.

atxcoolguy said:
Yeah, and Moreno plays ILB, seems like we're loaded with OLBs. Besides the starting 4, I'd think he's got the best chance to make the team. I think the other front runners to make the team would be Anderson OLB, Polk ILB, Evans ILB, S. Orr ILB/OLB, Chamberlin ILB. Pettway will probably be practice squad until mid season. I'm thinking special teams play will play a big part in selection of these reserve LBs. This will be one of the best positions to watch in training camp for competition.
I can't wait.

I think we might have a linebacker heavy practice squad, meaning more than 1. more than likely 2.

I'm most looking forward in training camp to seeing what Cheatwood and Moreno do... of the new names they are the most intriguing for me.

ourlads scouting rated Pettway very positively, I checked his actual posted 40 time was 4.67 still good when compared to prospects at that position. I thought Jonathan Welsh (Wisconsin) would have been another (5th rd. Indy #148) or Darryl Blackstock out of Virgina who went late 3rd (95th Arizona).

to compare Pettway with the top OLB taken Demarcus Ware is dreaming but both are 6'-4" around 250 lbs with 4.6 speed and both came from small schools (Grambling & Troy State) most importantly both are natural pass rushers, it will be interesting to watch them develop :popcorn:

ware
179238.jpg
Pettway
KPettway9.jpg

my opinion of Zeke comes from what ive heard from Charger fans.

Enjoy Zeke. He is slow, out of position, and a waste of cap space. Camp Foder if you ask me!

But he is a pretty good tackler

I think he has a shot to make the roster

Zeke will make an alright backup, but if he's starting you got problems. He gets tackles but he's SLOW.

Zeke doesnt have alot of fire out on the field.

I saw alot of quotes like that... basicly.. everything ive heard chargers say about him revolves around three facts.

1. hes SLOW SLOW SLOW
2. hes a good tackler
3. he doesnt have alot of fire or drive.

So.. considering that we are upgrading our LBs.. looking for speed.. I dont know how much of a chance moreno has when he lacks fire and drive, and doesnt meet the speed requirements. Maybe if he was slow but gave 110% all the time and played with alot of energy..but that isnt what he does.

He has a chance to make the team as a backup.. but I dont think he is a shoe in.

I think he is just about a lock to make the team. I wouldn't take too much message board banter into your consideration. If you had no clue who was who here you may come away thinking Dom Davis is a horrible RB or that Chester Pitts can't play at all. I'd say a large % who post an opinion on most message boards have questionable takes.

If I had taken that from a chargers message board, I would say you are right. But those quotes are from a general NFL board.. and for the most part you can expect to get at least a couple of informed opinions on a subject from those teams fans. Basicly.. since there are alot of fans from different teams there.. you dont see quite so much whining and finger pointing about specific teams... since no one wants to talk smack about their own team in front of other fans :).

Of course, you cant always expect people to give an honest opinion about a player that left their team either... since many fans immediatly think that anyone who leaves their team sucks and always has sucked.

90% of charger fans said Moreno was slow and lacked fire though.. so I would say there is some truth in those comments.

Based solely on the fact that he is slow and lacks fire.. I wonder about his chances to make the team.. considering that that is the complete opposite of what we are going for on our defense.

He is one of the few ILBs that we have though.. so he may make the team simply because of that.

beerlover said:
ourlads scouting rated Pettway very positively, I checked his actual posted 40 time was 4.67 still good when compared to prospects at that position. I thought Jonathan Welsh (Wisconsin) would have been another (5th rd. Indy #148) or Darryl Blackstock out of Virgina who went late 3rd (95th Arizona).

to compare Pettway with the top OLB taken Demarcus Ware is dreaming but both are 6'-4" around 250 lbs with 4.6 speed and both came from small schools (Grambling & Troy State) most importantly both are natural pass rushers, it will be interesting to watch them develop :popcorn:

ware
179238.jpg
Pettway
KPettway9.jpg

Ware looks more bigger than Pettway though. Pettway looks like he's a SS or something.

LikeABoss said:
Ware looks more bigger than Pettway though. Pettway looks like he's a SS or something.
Pettway is a Big O' Boy @ 6'-4" 255lbs. If I remember correctly Ware was same height but 10 lbss. heavier.
He may look like a SS in the picture to you but trust me, when you see in pre-season you'll be surprised @ big he actually looks.
Each year I pick a late round selection to relly keep my eyes on and I beleive it'll be him this year.

Grid said:
90% of charger fans said Moreno was slow and lacked fire though.. so I would say there is some truth in those comments.
I'd say 90% of the fans around the NFL thought Foley couldn't play when we released him too. So much for opinions based on third parties. Far too many of us form opinions from strangers when it comes to football players and we just make broad assumptions and have our mind made up about players when all we really need to do is watch him in camp and in preseason before we judge him. He isn't going to start, but he is not going to be any slower to the ball than Foreman was last year.

well if we waited till training camp to form all our opinons.. then we might as well shut down this board till it starts :).

if im wrong, ill be the first one to admit it... in the meantime.. im gonna remain under the assumption that he is slow and lacks fire.. unless he proves otherwise.

Your right that he couldnt be much slower than Foreman.. if we get another foreman out of him, ill be happy to have him as our backup.

Perhaps it's just me, but I guess I'm saying that it is not real astute thinking to form an opinion on anything but your own eyes. It's great to see what others think, but it sure is flawed to form an actual opinion on something you have never seen. Relaying an opinion of others is one thing...but to acutally have your mind made up about a guy when you haven't seen him play is another thing. I think that really just boils down to this....how can people trust your opinion when it is not yours?

I understand what you are saying.. and I guess all I can really say is that my opinion is not rock solid unless I have seen it for my own eyes.

But that doesnt stop me from giving an opinion based on what ive read and heard from other people. You cannot debate in the offseason if you base everything off of what you have seen with your own eyes.

Im not saying that Moreno wont make the team.. all im saying is that based on what ive heard.. im not 100% sure he will make the team.

Its really not any different from you saying that you think he is a lock to make the team. You are basing that off of what? possibly what you have seen of him when he played for the chargers? maybe off of his stats when started for them. I dont know.. but I DO know that you arent basing it off of what you have seen of him in practice with the Texans.. and that is the only way that you could have formed a solid opinion of him.

SO.. how can people trust my opinion when its not mine? Well.. what exactly do I have to do to make it mine? If I have enough trustworthy sources that all tell me the same thing.. isnt that enough to form an opinion? If your mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son, uncle, grandmother, 3rd grade teacher, and the President all tell you that the sky is blue.. couldnt you then turn to someone and confidently say that the sky is blue, even though you havent seen it for yourself? It all comes down to the preponderance of evidence.. if enough people say the same thing.. it can be reasonably assumed that it is true.. or most likely true.

so really.. it isnt a question of "can you trust my opinion when it is not mine" its more a question of "do you trust me enough to form a valid opinion, and not base it off too little evidence"

but what it REALLY all boils down to is... "what the heck are we gonna do in the offseason if we dont form opinions based solely on what other people have said?" cause I know most all of us dont have the luxury of hanging out with the Texans and their front office.

Grid said:
SO.. how can people trust my opinion when its not mine? Well.. what exactly do I have to do to make it mine? If I have enough trustworthy sources that all tell me the same thing.. isnt that enough to form an opinion? If your mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son, uncle, grandmother, 3rd grade teacher, and the President all tell you that the sky is blue.. couldnt you then turn to someone and confidently say that the sky is blue, even though you havent seen it for yourself?
That is where we differ. I gather information from 3rd parties but I try to not to form opinions about players I haven't seen since I don't think most people really know what they are looking at and want my opinions to be derived from my own eyes and my own heart. I've fallen into assuming things in the past but I don't honestly don't trust the takes of too many others unless I have studied their opinions over time. In my eyes, when you take and form your opinion from another source without it really being yours...well, it isn't an opinion of yours - it's someone else's.

btw, The sky is blue. That is something that isn't an opinion. I'd consider that a fact. Opinions are things that are subjective and should not be confused with facts.

I think we have gone from 'Pettway has signed' to trying to figure out what an honest opinion is, and what is a re-statement of someone's else’s comments....but there really isn't much to say about Pettway's signing, so I guess we can split this out if we continue to go too far off the bubble.

btw, The sky is blue. That is something that isn't an opinion. I'd consider that a fact. Opinions are things that are subjective and should not be confused with facts.

Well I was using that as an example of how the amount of people saying the same thing can be used to come to a conclusion about something... if you want something more fitting.. change "the sky is blue" to "Moreno is slow".

In my eyes, when you take and form your opinion from another source without it really being yours...well, it isn't an opinion of yours - it's someone else's.

I see it as my opinion as soon as I come to the conclusion that I beleive it, and then voice it.

I think its important to mention just what an opinion is.

"A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof"

that is the definition of an opinion... so.. really.. an opinion is not necessarily something that is grounded in fact, but is in the eye of the beholder. An opinion is not good or bad.. its just an opinion... and can be countered by other opinions. So really.. why are we discussing the validity of an opinion when there is really not even any facts involved with the forming of one?

LikeABoss said:

I'll take back what I've said about Pettway after looking at that picture of him on the Texans front page. He looks like he has the physical tools to compete on this level. He could be a sleeper 7th round pick like how Colby Buckwoldt is for the Saints.

Most drafted players get a 3 year deal at minimum. It is not accurate to say that most 7th round guys don't get signed or only get a one year deal.

Vinny said:
Most drafted players get a 3 year deal at minimum. It is not accurate to say that most 7th round guys don't get signed or only get a one year deal.
Irregardless, This is the 1st 7th round pick I've ever been excited about.
Accuracy-Shcmaccuracy.....loosen up Mr. Admin sir. You know we get real football mixed up with Madden football in the off-season. :jk:

No really, thanx for the correction.

If you are portraying the fact that most 7th round picks do not get signed, or just sign for one year - you are not being accurate. There are many eyes on the board and someone may just correct you if you are stating things that are not correct. That has nothing to do with the fact that I handle the boards problems.

Vinny said:
If you are portraying the fact that most 7th round picks do not get signed, or just sign for one year - you are not being accurate. There are many eyes on the board and someone may just correct you if you are stating things that are not correct. That has nothing to do with the fact that I handle the boards problems.
Geeez.....Sawwwww reeeeeeee :crying:

Zeke Moreno = Jay Foreman

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing to have as a backup. I would have been interested in keeping Foreman in a backup role, just not as a starter. My odds on Moreno on the final 53 man roster - 87.624%. :homer:

I'm a bit less optimisitc about his roster chances than you Porky. I'll give him an 87.623999999 % chance of making the roster

Back