Petey Faggins

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Joe Texan, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

I saw this guy get crispified on a 96 yard bomb and the very next play, the extra point he is laughing in the huddle and gets burned on the 2 point conversion. how much of ths are we gonna have to swallow before they let the young guys try to take the job he does so poorly. I know he has chewed off his fingers knowing Dunta is chomping at his heels. I cannot wait till this guy gets the Ax, he is as bad as NoTime.

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Maybe our DC should know better than to put Faggins in man coverage on the freak that is Calvin Johnson.

By now, we should all know what Petey is capable of. And covering CJ one on one isn't one of those things.

I'm certainly not happy about it. But he is what he is. A nickelback who is for some reason playing man coverage on one of the best WRs in the league.

3. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

This was actually a topic on 610 on the way home. And they made valid points.

Bennett is the best cover corner right now on the team, step for step.
    Reeves and Faggins are corners, but not good "cover" corners.

Bennett is sitting on the bench. Faggins is starting. Bennett also slid to the #4 corner when Dunta came back, with Molden at #5.

Makes me wonder what Fred did so bad to earn that role. Sure, Petey has had a couple good games...but I believe Fred is the better cover corner. I have no idea why Molden isn't in on any plays except for special teams considering how high everyone was on him in training camp.

I'm also sick of the corners only playing one side of the field. If it were up to me (and if Dunta was healthy), your #1 corner should play the #1 reciever. I just don't get Hoke's philosophy from day one, how the #1 plays the right side, #2 plays the left. ???

4. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

When Dunta gets better, he'll definitely be our #1. I can't imagine that Faggins is starting when Dunta takes over again as the starter.
    Now if only Bennett would get the start along with him, that would make our secondary pretty good. Not sure why Bennett is #4 on the depth chart.

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Considering Corners are suppose to covering players, shouldn't our best cover corners be on the field? As opposed to our best non-cover corners, if such a thing really exists.

DRob - I don't see him being healthy and being himself until next year. This would be his putting work in to really get back next year.

6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

The thing is, on another Lions drive, Freddie B broke up what would have been a near TD by CJ. He was stride for stride with him and moved his body into excellent position.

Why our best vertical defender is not starting is beyond me. Toss Petey.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I Like Petey. He plays a role. You don't need a team with 5 starting caliber CBs to win. He is a good nickel or dime corner, and is great at defending 3rd and long situations.

The problem with him is that he's not fast. As far as the NFL goes, Petey is slow. Why they keep matching him 1 on 1 with the other teams fastest player is a coaching problem, not a personnel problem. That was a dumb move on the coaches, end of story.

superdave532 likes this.
  8. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

How many times do we have to go through this while Peetey laughs at his mistakes in the huddle. Can him right now.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

How do we have any idea what he was laughing about or if he was laughing? Maybe he was crying, and it looked like laughing?

Maybe he was feeling really crappy, and DeMeco knew he needed a mentally ready Petey to hold up on the 2 pt conversion, so he said something funny.

If he was actually laughing as in "Oops, My bad. Hahaha" Then yeah, thats a problem

But its too difficult for a fan to know what was going on. The coaches like his work ethic and attitude. I'll cut him a break on this one, because I think it was a terrible deensive call

10. False Start

False Start On # 69

Yeah, that really gets to me. When I screw something up at my job I sure as hell don't laugh about it. My boss man would tear me a new one.

11. Fox

Fox All Pro

I think Petey has a role to play on this team, but it's one that requires safety help over the top at all times. Ultimately he should be a nickel or dime back, and shouldn't be paired all alone with an elite receiver. I think he can be a very productive player for us in that setting.

Reeves takes a lot of grief this season, but honestly I'm not sure I can remember him getting flat out burned this year. He shadows everyone pretty much step for step. As most of you know the problem is he can't get his head turned. Once he figures that out, if he figures that out, he could be a pretty damn good #2 IMO. As of now, he's alright.

Bennett is a player that's still learning in my book. Appears to have great athleticism, can match up with the taller receivers and compete for jump balls. Seems to have good ball skills. I don't think he's as good at shadowing his man as Reeves yet, I see him bite on more double moves and falling a step back more often. Not intending to bash him, I think he should start over Faggins and has a chance to be a very good player but I think in year 2 now he's still honing his game quite a bit.

Dunta is still a question mark until he has more time to get over his injury. Didn't see him approaching the ball carrier with quite the same aggressiveness as in the past, he's got some rust to shake off.

Finally, Molden needs some PT. Looked good in pre-season to me, we should give him some snaps as the year progresses and see how he's progressing.

All in all, no superstars but plenty of talent to be a good secondary with the proper coaching/support. I think Petey is everyone's favorite whipping boy, but in the correct role is a solid player.

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Bennett has been missing tackles (like that's been anything new for much of the D). His shoulder may still be a problem.......and that would certainly be a factor that could lead to questionable tackling practices........and a limited showing.

13. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

True but it hasn't effected him from the waist down... and that's where Petey struggles. A poster used the term "maxed out" and I think that is appropriate.

14. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Bottom line is SOme people in our secondary need to be replaced during the off season

Faggins being one of them hes been burned for the last time and has costed us many games in the past

15. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

He was in the huddle Laughing and saying sorry guys, If your truly sorry why you laughing, You took our confidence and threw it in the trash.

16. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

IMO, they use Faggins as a motivational tool for Bennett. Sorta like that episode in King of the Hill when Bobby was on the track team. Everytime someone slacks off or screws up the coach replaces them with Bobby to embarasses em, because really how you going to let a fat, slow kid replace you, a real athlete?

Same thing with Faggins, how you going to let that slow, crappy CB replace you, Bennett? No wonder he sounded pissed off in that chron article, nobody wants to be replaced by Faggins. The embarrassments can't get any lower then that.

But really, Kubiak did it at the right time, during the Fins and Lions game(gimme games), and it worked because Bennett is starting to play like his old self again. Kubiak would've never done this 'experiment' against a team like CLE, or INDY. The whole coaching staff knows Petey would be 'Lee Evaned' all game long if it was against teams like them.

drewmar74 likes this.
  17. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

i always laugh when iam under pressure maybe he cant help it

18. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Maybe he smokes up a joint before a game. That would explain why he loses concentration when covering a receiver one on one. and the laughing...

19. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

I completely agree! He has to gooo!

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Let's see.

Happen to know anyone on the team who could cover Calvin Johnson?

I thought so.