Perspective and status of our upcoming opponent

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Oct 23, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I came across this very detailed picture of a very troubled franchise. There are quite a few interesting facts that have not really been well characterized elsewhere.

Just a handful of examples.

This next set of facts speaks well for status of our TEXANS:

WELL WORTH READING THE ENTIRE USA TODAY PIECE

BIG TORO likes this.
  2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

It's interesting that the Colts place so much emphasis on the TE position in their offense and yet have so little depth at that position ? For example it sounds like our 4th-string TE, rookie Garrett Grahmn who's an outstanding pass-catching TE, would be a vastly superior player in the Colts offense than what they have available in reserve ?
    Regarding the fumbles in Washington - after a bye week and a home game coming up, doubt if they have a single fumble in our MNF game vs them.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I found this lurking on a Colts forum:
    I'd like to beat the best when they are the best...... however with what I've seen so far this year, I'll take a W any way we can get one. I'm actually worried, that this will turn out to be a game we should win..... & we don't.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Man, we need this game real bad. I don't know why but I have this calming confidence. I know we could lose but I just don't think we are going to.

6. Andre_Johnson

Andre_Johnson Duck Fallas!

Calm before the storm, I know how you feel... But if you think about it, we didn't have Cush in the first game and our defense looked okay in the first three quarters up until Peyton started throwing to Dallas Clark on every other play for 15 yards at a time. The Colts don't have that unstoppable TE for the rest of the season and I like Cushing in coverage over their next TE. Mario will get to Peyton in this game just like he did all day in week 1.

Oh, and don't let me forget Arian Foster. Nuff Sed.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

having perspective is often neglected. good job keeping fans grounded Cloak-

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

This kid they'll start might be the next freak'n Eddelman/Welker/Clark.... & if he's not, chances are pretty good we'll make him look like it.

DocBar likes this.

9. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

.... and Ward

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

My only concern with what you said is that it assumes our Lbers are going to cover RBs and TEs at all. It's been scary how much our LBers are just sitting in a zone and allowing those RBs and TEs to run to vacant spots in order to become wide open and catch the ball.

I mean, it's been a steady dose of that all season long. As if it's by design, by our defense. Which I do not comprehend as to how it is a wise strategy.

I want to see our LBers either committing to blitzing at the snap or finding a guy and sticking to him the whole way through the play. Instead, we're seeing what looks like inaction and a lack of knowing where to be as the play develops.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Even when they are sitting in zone, you'll see the receiver (FB/TE/RB) stop, turn, present himself to the QB. You can see the QB going through his reads. Finding the under receiver, make the decision to throw to the receiver, load up, & deliver the ball.

& our LB is sitting there, with no idea where that ball is going until the receiver tucks it under his arm & heads up field.

Then it's time to tackle him.

I know the LB has to be looking at either the receiver or the QB, shouldn't matter which. I'd be happy if they ever figure out that they should attack the receiver at some point before the ball gets tucked under his arm.

& Yes, I'd be thrilled if we ever get a LB with a PI...... then we'll know at least we're moving in the right direction. The receiver is going to catch the ball anyway the way they're doing it now.

12. Indy Skinnz

Indy Skinnz Veteran

Of those 4 fumbles 2 of them came from a punt returner that was cut on the flight home from DC. The other came when Addai basically got knocked out and Arakpo got Manning on a strip sack for the other.

Should be an interesting game on Monday. If I were a betting man, I would take the over.

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

The Colts might hit the over all by themselves against our defense...

:kitten:

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Colts President Bill Polian final thoughts on weekly question & answer -

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think he's trying to lull us to sleep. I'm sure it isn't a secret the Texans love to hear good things about them in the press, then throws up a stinker on gameday.

It's the rope-a-dope.

16. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Complete assessment of all data we have on the Texans, and how
    they prepare for teams when they have extra time, tells me the Texans are
    gonna lose.

The true question is, by how much will the Texans lose?

17. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

This^^^^^

This is my main concern-I'm afraid that the team will assume that they should beat the Colts due to injuries and not show up...

18. mokalus

mokalus Rookie

My favorite part of that excerpt from the Colts president:

"They've been drafting high for a long, long time..."

True story. :runaway:

thunderkyss likes this.
  19. Indy Skinnz

Indy Skinnz Veteran

Do you really believe that the Texans will overlook an injury depleted Colts team still QB'd by Manning? That is hard for me to believe. And why would a team as awful as the Texans have been on defense just assume that they show up and win? I would think that thought wouldn't exist if they were playing the Jags, let alone the Colts.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

TK this isn't directed at you really.

Never have understood this oft repeated sentiment. They aren't going to be playing us at our best without DeMeco, Barwin, etc. Heck Cushing and OD are still getting back up to speed. Somehow when considering are own team injuries are dismissed as an excuse but when discussing opponents it's like we are getting a cheap win if it happens.

Besides in this particular instance we did beat them at their best. Now I'll take the W any way we can get it.