Percentage of Texans TDs thrown into the EZ

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Sep 24, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I came across this very pertinent article that reflects many of our concerns about the low numbers of Texans TDs thrown into the EZ.

CHECK OUT THIS ARTICLE'S TABLE OF ALL NFL TEAMS STATS

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't know how pertinent that article is when we're top 10 scoring at least over the last two years & we won 10 & 12 games over that time period. Makes you think that throwing into the end zone in itself is not conducive to winning football games.... & that's what it's all about right? Winning football games?

SchaubApologist likes this.
  3. SchaubApologist

SchaubApologist Veteran

:kubepalm:

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Can't think of a better place to post this... but I'm rewatching the game right now & Matt Schaub looks sharp with 1:00 left in the first half. He's getting rid of the ball quick, very decisive & very accurate. The ball is put right where the receiver needs it, they're not scooping it off the ground, or bending over backwards. One in particular to DeAndre on the left sideline, Matt throws the ball before Hop makes his move to get to the outside. & it's on target.

Again, there is no doubt in my mind that Matt Schaub will hit his numbers. 4000 yards, twenty-some TDs (maybe even 30) 12-16 INTs.... I'd like to think that will translate into 11 or so wins, hopefully the division.

He's looking as good as he ever has & with these receivers, he's going to look better before it's all said & done.

Now is the time to get on the bandwagon. We're going to the Super Bowl.

5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

....and then there was Peyton Manning. :kubepalm: :wadepalm:

6. SacHawk

SacHawk Rookie

Houston VS Seattle was my pre season SB pick. We may get a preview on Sunday.

You guys are definitely better than you have been the first two weeks. Shocked that you lost to Baltimore.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm not shocked that we lost so much as the way we lost. 17-9 isn't insurmountable for this offense, neither is 24-9. But they got us where they wanted us (same place we want them) & they took it to us, exactly what we did to them last year.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Four years above the Texans' purported average and one under looked wrong. Sure enough someone messed up on the overall calculation. Using their yearly percentages means 57 TDs in the endzone out of 116 total so 49.1%.

For perspective, at the league average the Texans would have had 61.5 TDs in the end zone so 4.5 more over the five year time period - not even one per year.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Sumb!tch musta read TexansTalk cause I said the same thing on Sunday ..... :corrosion:

:specnatz:

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Yes, Schaub was very accurate. He hit Daryl Smith in stride on that TD pass. And he meant to throw the ball 6 ft over Andre Johnson's head in the redzone on the opening drive.

A post like this is why I don't know whether to take you seriously, or if you are just trolling. That was a horrible performance by Schaub. Everyone, including Schaub himself, admits that.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I specified with less than a minute to go in the half. On that drive, Schaub looked sharp.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think a lot of that had to do with the Ravens playing a prevent , keeping everything in front of them .... and not putting a whole lot of heat on Schaub in the pocket.

He can do his part in those situations ...

13. CloakNNNdagger

[​IMG]

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What really impressed me was his accuracy. I read in another thread (& maybe that's where I should have put this, because that's what I really want to discuss) that because of problems with his foot, throwing off his back foot, he's not as accurate as he wants to be & the ball is going places he's not intending.

The 20 yarder he threw to Hop, in that time frame, was practically on a rope.

He looks lighter, healthier..... I'm not going to say more athletic or mobile, but he's looking physically like a younger, better Matt Schaub than what we saw last season.

The only real question about Schaub, is how long can he hold this up?

15. CloakNNNdagger

Schaub never played at any less than 240 at Virginia. At the Combine, 243. With the Texans up to this year ~243. This year at 235.

That weight loss was not aimed at making him more athletic or mobile per se. It is the typical strong recommendation made to any patient with ongoing post Lisfranc problems........in attempt to lessen stresses transferred to the foot.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

And with weight loss comes a loss of strength .... however fractional it might be , any loss of arm strength or core strength is going to have an effect on a guy who has a questionable arm to begin with. That small difference may be enough to tip the scales in the NFL ....

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If y'all are right, his number will be significantly lower than his norm.

If I'm right, he'll hit his numbers like clockwork.

If Dalemurphy is right (& I hope he is) he's going to eclipse his numbers.

18. CloakNNNdagger

If I remember correctly, he got his numbers last year and............:kitten:

19. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Numbers schnumbers! Schaub sucks, plain and simple

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Exactly.

He looked bad in the final 4-6 games... Is he going to make 10 games this year? or 16? Or 3?

I wouldn't doubt that his foot is an issue, but he had a typical Matt Schaub day against the Patriots, then he went on to stink it up in the Pro Bowl. If his foot is giving him the problems you're suggesting, I don't think he does those. I also think the Texans would have addressed the QB position differently this past offseason.