Pendry Grade

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Oct 3, 2005.

?

Grade Joe Pendry's Offense

1. A

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. B

43 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. C

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  4. D

11 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. F

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

So, how do you feel Pendry did on his first week taking over as Offensive Coordinator?

2. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Pendry found some comfortable spots he can use to increase carr's confidence even more. I mean we looked almost Denver like in the playcalling which is not a bad thing. Once the receivers and O-line help out this squad will be dangerous.

Texans Horror likes this.
  3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I give him a B-, with the notation that it is a bell-curve grade since he was hired as OC with less than two weeks to the next game, a team that is in an 0-2 funk, a hurricane bearing down on us...anything else? :confused:

I was happy to see first downs during our first drive. There seemed to be a lot less audibles by DC at the line, and they seemed to play will a little more confidence.

The offenseive penalties have got to go, though. There are not many valid excuses for that lack of focus.

And at some point, he's got to drill into certain position players' heads how to pick up blitzes. Either block the blitzer, or occupy his spot on the field for a dump pass. We never seem to have a consistent pocket, as it seems like it falls backwards the second the ball is snapped.

But I think Pendry will get a grip on fundamentals, and we can win games with players that execute according to the basic gameplan and avoid stupid mistakes.

4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

B... i liked a lot of the things he did and attempted to do. he got carr moving with a purpose as opposed to running scared. he used movement before the snap. he shortened routes and got receivers available sooner. he made DD block and receivers the options. HE MADE CARR THROW THE BALL (well, atleast a whole lot better than the previous games). he moved the offense very quickly from one play to the next. he made the play known (going by commentators...) in the huddle as opposed to having multiple plays ready.

there were some things i didnt like though. we're still a run first offense, and we left it way too soon. DD averaged 4.3 ypc but only had i believe 19 touches. we didnt even pretend to throw deep (i dont care if carr takes the snap and throws a 70 yarder out of the endzone, you have to back the safeties up). we still didnt see AJ enough, the only way to get carr+aj out of their funk is to force them through it. we also didnt see any armstrong or mathis, with a receiving core like ours we need to make everyone an option.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Liked what I saw, he mixed things up nice and the Texans if not for mental mistakes on the field seemed to move the ball much better. He can improve his grade from a B to an A if he can find a solution to seal off the pocket better. its going to be a challenge because both tackles are slow on the edge but they should be able to seal off and Carr should have room in the pocket to step up. its that one of two man stunt that is delayed which comes right up the middle unobstructed that is need of being addressed. as a offensive line coach he should be in a good postion to improve the scheme.

6. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

I think for the most part they did execute better. It still looked like what Palmer was doing, but quicker. Still conservative, but it has been more effective. Needs to involve AJ alot more than he has been this season. Seems to me that TO, and Randy Moss are almost getting the same kind of coverage. That being said it might give AJ a chance to make the big plays down field or get the defense penalized w/ the pass interference. I give Pendry a C.

7. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Not half as many carries for DD and VM we needed to win, but the offense is unwontedly good.

8. tiger06

tiger06 Veteran

B, would've liked to take more shots downfield

9. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

My grade is based on the production of the offense. 10 points earns a D.

10. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

I'll give Pendry an INCOMPLETE. The pass protection still blows but otherwise he seemed to breath life into a lifeless offense. A good performance next week along with a win would help this team get back on track. I only fear that Palmer isn't the only coordinator that should have been released before the bye week.

11. Keldar

Keldar Veteran

C, but improving......I hope.

He gets bonus points from me for coaching from the sideline, and being a tough presense on the practice field.

12. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

Jury is still out here. Give me another week to see what Pendry has up his sleeve. :texflag:

Nice to see Pendry down with the team, though. Not hiding in the stratosphere like his predecessor. :)

13. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I like the fact that he reduced the thinking by the players (few audibles), so that they can focus more on execution. While it didn't result in many points, I liked the overall approach. We seemed to move the ball well, but were still able to kill drives with sacks. The defense only seemed to know what was coming in obvious passing situations. That is in stark contrast to Palmer's approach, which let the defense dictate (and know) what was coming.

With the exception of the last possession of the game, I felt like the offense played with confidence. I am concerned that our QB is the next Rob Johnson in the league. If that is the case, no amount of scheming will help us.

14. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

The results of this poll are absolutely mind-boggling so far. Do our fans realize that the average total offensive output this season is 325 yards and the Texans got about 250 against a very average defense. The bar gets lower by the day.

Texans Horror likes this.
  15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I gave a B because we looked better. We looked more confident.. we spread the ball around.. our running game was working pretty well.. it was ALOT better than week 1 and 2.

I saw a drastic improvement in our offense. We are still below average.. but I could tell that we had a new OC that was doing a better job.

I didnt give him a B cause they played well.. i gave him a B because he made improvements.. if we look bad, or make no improvements next week..ask me again and he wont get as high of a grade.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I give'm a D .... 250 yards of offense and 10 points isnt gonna get it done

I still dont think Palmer was the problem , I blame Capers and his style of play more that the person calling the plays because Capers' style limits what the OC can call ..... :brickwall

17. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

He coulda done better but he didnt do bad. I was impressed with some play calling and dissapointed with others. Overall I beleive this is a good step for our team to get better.

18. HardCoreTxn

HardCoreTxn Veteran

I give him a B, Im just glad to see him on the sidelines getting involved with the team. Way to go Joe :texflag:

19. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

This is exactly the problem.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

So what is your solution? We have already ditched our OC and saw some progress from a granular stan point. What other offensive moves that actually can be made this year would you like to see done?