Payne Won't Make Trip To Denver

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texasguy346, Aug 25, 2004.

1. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Was reading a report about Walker, and found out that Seth Payne won't make the trip to Denver with the team. Capers thinks he'll play Sept 2nd against Tampa Bay.

ESPN

2. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

i thought Andre wasn't playing either?

3. NoBullTexan

NoBullTexan Veteran

Looks like DeLoach at nose tackle and Sears at Gary Walker's DE spot to start the Denver game.

IMO, the only real game-planning in the Denver game will be for the blocking schemes of the offensive line. I don't imagine Dom will show too much against a team we will play again in the regular season.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I would much rather have them give Payne all the way to the San Diego game--an extra three weeks--before pushing the knee. Better to have him back permanent than early and out shortly.

5. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

He's not playing, but this was just detailing those who wouldn't play due to injury.

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Agree totally with that, in fact hold out most of the starters until the San Diego game. Preseason is just for conditioning, evaulation and setting the roster.

7. Ediddy73

Ediddy73 Veteran

so lemme get this straight, Payne still hasn't seen a snap of action since the Saints last year, and Walker had an MRI this week? Good thing we paid so much attention to the D-line this year!! Well, maybe our savior Babin, or Babs as some of you so affectionately call him, can move in and play one DT position, and Smith can play the other, and we can just take all of the GD tweeners we drafted last year and play the first ever 2-5 defense. :rolleyes:

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I really wouldn't mind if Davis didn't play either.

9. BABINFAN

BABINFAN Rookie

new Texans fan here, I know Babin from Michigan and just wanted to come by and say hey.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think Payne should play. Even if it is for only a few series. He needs to test it. If he is going to hurt his knee, he is going to hurt his knee. I still think we should have drafted a DT like wilfork or tubbs.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Don't forget Sears is having an excellent camp and DeLoach and Terrance Martin are quality backups.

They actually played a 2-5 and 1-6 front a few times last year because they were so short.

12. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

I have no problem with him waiting a week. The longer he waits the better the knee will be. But I do agree with DC_ROCK that he needs to test it, so he should definately see some action against Tampa.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

This is from NFL Countdown, its way too early I know, but I found their pick interesting altough I strongly disagree with the Texans having such a bad season they actually drop to the 6th spot???? Oh well back to subject-

6. Houston Texans: Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas

The Texans made a splash in free agency by signing Robaire Smith and brining back Gary Walker, but they still don't have a true impact defensive lineman. Seth Payne is very solid in the middle but he isn't getting any younger and is coming off a major injury. An impact performer since his true freshman year with the Longhorns, Wright figures to be one of the elite prospects available should he declare for the 2005 NFL Draft and this might even be too low for him. Don't rule out an offensive tackle here though, especially if youngster Seth Wand fails to develop on the left side.

14. dredge

dredge Rookie

I'm Glad they are holding Payne out one more game. I do worry about the Walker and Payne's health though. Walker really seems to be at the point where big guys can break down in a hurry. Groins are an injury that do not heal fast or complete w/out a lot of rest. I hope this does not become a chronic problem htis year.