Payne to Test FA

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Mar 1, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I was surprised to see that nobody has posted this so far. From this mornings Houston Chronicle:

2. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

3. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

This would probably mean alot more to me if Seth hadnt been hurt so much these past couple years.

4. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

It will be interesting to see what he is worth in the marketplace. I suspect it will be in the 2 mill a year range. However, with teams switching to the 34 and needing NTs he might get a great offer.

5. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

That's the key point about this whole scenario that has me a little worried. Even last season there were several teams that were either converting/using the 3-4 or mixing it in with their base formation. Now you can add Dallas, Denver, and New Orleans all looking at changing to a 3-4. There will be plenty of interest in a 3-4 NT who's had experience and success in the 3-4. I really want to see Payne in a Texan uniform next season. If he leaves for another team it could be a long season for the Texans.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Payne hasn't done much in the last two years. If someone wants to offer him huge money then I'm fine with not resigning him. I'd rather see him leave than for us to over pay him and he give us what he has given us the last couple of years on the field. I know injuries are not his fault and he is a hard worker, but reality is he hasn't really been too productive the last two years.

7. Exactly. People can fall in love with his character but if he's not on the field then it does not good. Payne was a 4-3 tackle before switching to a NT in the 3-4, there will be plenty of guys that can do the same.

8. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

If the Texans resign him to big money it's going to be really big trouble down the road. You'll have 2 potential Gary Walkers then. Players on the downslide with big contracts.

9. Negative Jesus

Negative Jesus Rookie

I just don't want to put too much into Payne . He is a good guy and all but the injury thing has me worried . Just let him test the market and see what hes worth and then make him an offer , just don't go throwing big money at him right away .

10. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

Payne needs to go unless he comes in at a reduced rate. He is already on the wrong side of 30 coming off a major injury, why not look for someone younger.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

True, but the devil is in the detail. What amount of money is too much at this point? My guess has been he would be resigned for about $2.5 mil a year. I want to see him back but if some team wants to throw $4 mil+ a year at him then good for you Seth Payne have fun with them. BUT, while it is true 4-3 tackles can and do convert to 3-4 NT's, who specifically is available to replace him. DeLoach, Sears and Ioane all do a solid job as rotation/back-up, but there is a very noticeable drop off from Payne even last year while Payne was recovering from his knee surgeries. Kendrick Clancy has experience but he was waived by the Steelers until being brought back when Casey Hampton went down. So who FA or draft could really be expected to step in as the presumptive starter with the expectation of doing as well as or better than Payne? Draftniks please do not just list every college hopeful over 310 lbs and say they will be better.

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

hes a good DT.. but with his injuries and his age..and our cap situation, we cant afford to pay him the big bucks.

Judging by that article.. and the comments like "Walker came back from the same injury in 2002 and went to the pro bowl".. id say it sounds like Payne thinks he is gonna be just fine and playing as well as he always has.. so he probably expects the same pay. While Casserly and Co. probably feel that he has been too inconsistent and suffered alot of injuries, and want to sign him for less so that we dont end up in another bosselli situation.

I have a feeling.. with all the teams changing a 3-4 this season.. that someone out there is going to offer Payne more than we are willing to.. and he will be leaving us.

13. LoNghoRn-TeXaN

LoNghoRn-TeXaN Veteran

As of right now we have only two starting and a back-up D-linemen on the roster. I don't see us signing Payne, DeLoach or Sears. We might sign about two back-up D-linemen from FA but I don't see anyone available who might be better than Sears or DeLoach. Regarding our starting NT, I don't know if there is anyway to go other than the draft. So in the end, I think that we may very well have a worse DL than last season. But I certainly hope that I'm very wrong. Please correct me if I am!

14. There are a lot of tactics that go along with Free Agency. The agent representatives are trying like mad to sell their product, the athlete. You are going to see all kinds of hype and stuff at this time, and Payne should be no different. Payne played a lot last but didn't look as good as he did in previous years, uh when he played. I can't see us shelling out more than 3 million a year for him. A 3 year 9 Million dollar deal with an incentive based bonus is fine with me, but I'm sure that he will be asking a good chuck of the guaranteed bonus. Our options at NT are limited and I'm sure the agent is aware of that. And yes with so many teams switching to the 3-4 a NT will be in demand. I don't see any major DT's other than Williams in this free agency so I would try and resign Payne but go after either HArtwell or Bell as my big free agent acquistion.

15. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

that kind of sounds depressing...i want our Dline to be alot better than last season.

it all starts with the Dline to free up LBs to make plays and put pressure on the QB. then that lets our DBs take a few chances and cause some turnovers.

honestly id like to see payne back but maybe find someone who he can rotate with more often, maybe a cheap vet backup or rookie to maybe learn the position and to groom - not really sure who else he can rotate more with though. but im fairly confident he can recover and be a dominant force on the line again.

just dont overpay !

16. LikeABoss

LikeABoss All Pro

I think the Houston front office should look into signing Kendrick Clancy as Payne's replacement idonno:

My :twocents:

17. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

I think the houston front office should look to sign any of the remaining 12 free agents that will not be Texans in about 80 minutes...

18. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

If we have another midnight signing like we did with Posey I'm not going to have a restful sleep tonight.

19. AndreJ

AndreJ All Pro

Who dat? LoL

20. Ranger

Ranger Veteran

I don't really see a big drop off at the position if we don't resign him. I think its time we go out and give somebody else the chance. I know I've heard talk about maybe Robairre moving to NT and then drafting Spears to take his spot, be there is some quality FA's at the position, Pat Williams is one of them.