Payne coming back to Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanfan2002114, Mar 2, 2005.

1. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

according to www.houstonprofootball.com

Texans Bringing Back the Payne!

Seth Payne and Kiefer Sutherland both know just how much can change in 24 hours.

After conversations on Tuesday between the Texans and the agent for Payne produced no agreement, the defensive tackle was planning trips to several destinations, including Cleveland and New Orleans among others, to find employment elsewhere.

All that changed Wednesday afternoon though, as Payne agreed to a new four-year contract with the Texans. According to ESPN.com, the agreement will be worth a total $16 million, including a $4.5 million bonus. The webiste claims Payne might have been spurred to sign the deal after learning the Texans were near a deal with former Bills nose tackle Pat Williams.

Payne, 30, is recovering from surgery to repair two hamstrings, and while he is expected to be ready for the 2005 season, his risk for future injury may have been a deterrent for the Texans to offer him a contract earlier. Following a valiant return to the playing field last year after multiple knee surgeries, Payne contributed 51 tackles and 2 sacks to a strengthing Texan defense.

2. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

If this is true... then how about a FULL FREAKING SEASON from this guy. We are such a better team with him healthy and full force. Lets see it this year.

3. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

I don't know why I'm feeling iffy about Payne coming back...hopefully he's healthy. :thumbup

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

4 frickin million per year. oi-vay.

If we sign dayne then that will be our free agency splash. WOOO WE GOT STACY MACK part II!

5. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I can swallow the 4 million thing if Payne stays HEALTHY all year. BTW.. does anyone know what type of recovery he is looking at for the Hamstring injury? Ready for mini camp? Training camp? Reg Season?

I also see ZERO reason to sign Ron Dayne. We got enough running backs. Lets keep focusing on the trenches... and maybe a wr..Kevin Johnson if we can get a good deal.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Gary Walker had the same surgery after the completion of his 2001 season and recovered to have a pro-bowl 2002 season.

7. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Wow. Maybe Gary needs to "injure" his Hamstring again this offseason. Then well have TWO pro bowlers on the DL!! :woot

Ok, that wasnt funny.

8. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

You're focused on the wrong number. Payne will represent 3-3.5 million against our cap this year and 3.5-4.5 million next year. Then he'll either have made a full recovery and be the great NT he was in the expansion year, restructure to a lower number or be released after June 1 (1.13 cap hit - trivial as far as these deals go).

For comparison, Jamie Sharper represents 6.13m against our cap this year. Aaron Glenn is 5.17m. Seth will probably be a little less than the cap hit of Steve McKinney and a bit more than that of Zach Wiegart. Payne's cap number LAST year was 4.17m

The Texans left themselves plenty of room to get out in case Seth is done after this year.

9. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I was still thinking numbers in the 2 mil range would be more fitting.

ahh well.. we will just have to see what happens.. if he stays healthy he is worth it.

10. Alex

Alex Rookie

I don't understand why the Texans let go their deal with Pat Williams to resign Seth Payne for about the same amount of money .... :confused:

Payne's deal is 4 years/16 millions (average of 4) and Pat Williams deal with Vikings (according KFFL) is 3 years/13 millions (average of 4.3 mil.). Personally I really think that Williams would be better than Payne in a 3-4 scheme.

P.S. Sorry for the gramatical mistakes, I'm from Quebec, Canada....

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Looks like 3 years and a 6 million dollar bonus for Williams.

12. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

I like the move. I would guess that is about as low as we could go monetarily and not get ourself into a potential bind later on if we missed on a few guys at NT. I don't know how the contract is laid out, but I hope the guaranteed money is paid sooner rather than later. I was hoping Payne would come back for a year or two because I really like a few NT prospects in the 2006 draft.

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

4 mill does seem a tad stong for a guy coming off of two injured seasons. I like the guy and when he is able to play at his best he is more than worth what we are paying. Just another roll of the dice on an injured player by CC. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us like Walker has.

14. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

we were close to a deal with Williams? one of the best run stuffers in the league? and we didn't do it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

well...all i know about payne's injury is this...he says he'll be ready by training camp...but knowing the texans organization and the way we slowly bring back starters he'll probably be going full speed by pre-season...i too think pat williams would have been the better option but who knows what kind of injuries he has suffered lately...and maybe just maybe pat williams character doesn't fit the other guys in the lockerroom...all in all payne knows the system and when he's fully healthy he's damn good in it...i'm just glad we're not going into the draft without a NT

16. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

Depending how backloaded the contract is, it's not impossible the number this year might be less then 3 mil.

My wild-guess estimated salaries were 2.25, 3.25, 4.75 and 5.75, which would be a little less backloaded than the "standard" NFL contracts. The more backloaded the salary, the more likely Payne is cut/restructured in 2 years, but his cap number for the next two years is reduced as a result.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I would rather have DeLoach than Payne, straight up. He's younger and
    doesn't have the injury baggage that Seth has. Whatever DeLoach gets with us or elsewhere, be interesting to see how that deal compares to Seth's deal.

18. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

It's the roughly same amount of money assuming Williams and Payne both play out their contracts. However, the Vikings will take a bigger cap hit if they have to release Williams in less then 3 years - Given the contract numbers you mention, I'd estimate he'll be about 7-7.5 million on the Vikings cap that year (worse if he makes any incentives) and be 35 years old, so the Vikings may very well regret their choice.

19. Alex

Alex Rookie

Personally I would like to see Williams in the middle of the Texans D-Line. But if the money saved can help the Texans to bring a good WR like Travis Taylor or Kevin Johnson I think that it's a good move. And I don't know why the Texans negociate with Ron Dayne :thumbdown Even he is a good 3rd down RB I believe that the Texans have already a good "Power RB" in J.Wells. I also think that the Texans must pursue a good safety like Ronnie Heard or Idrees Bashir. Eric Brown is a good hard hitter but not really a playmaker and I don't know if he is recovered at 100 % of his injury...

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The Dayne rumor was just a rumor from what I gather so they may not have been in negotiations with him. Eric Brown doesn't start at SS anymore. There is a guy named Glenn Earl who took over the job last year.