Patriots sign Welker to offer sheet

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TexanFan881, Mar 3, 2007.

1. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

http://fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=332007cau1893av
    A 2nd round pick for Welker? In the article it says its a steal but I don't think Welker is worth that.

2. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

Welker's a fun player to watch and a great guy to have on a team. I could totally see him filling the utlity-player role in NE. But you're right that the price seems a bit high when compounded with the draft pick...the salary's OK, but losing the pick (esp. to a team in your own division) seems excessive.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

those mother****ers

4. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Winner, prototypical system receiver, hard nosed, value in special teams. Its a late 2nd and they have two #1s, plus Chad Jackson tore his ACL. Pretty nice pickup. Especially given the fact that he was the only consistent receiver on a division rival. Pretty nice blow they struck there.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

they didn't strike a blow at all. he's a good slot guy, but whatever, we have derek hagan who was going to play that position. and he's not a very good returnman. the biggest blow is that he just knows the team. man, if we can get a 2nd rounder for wes welker?? i love it.

6. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I recall hearing some talk of Brown possibly retiring so I'm guessing Welker would fill his role as a slot receiver & return man. A second round pick is a bit steep for him, but then again NE could really use him.

7. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Update from ProFootballTalk

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

ahahahaha

wes welker is a 3rd receiver on any team. he's a slot guy and a mediocre returnman. and he's getting 38.5 million?? we're going to see a lot of teams in cap hell in a few years, sheeeeeesh.

9. BleedTheBurntOrange

BleedTheBurntOrange Rookie

the patriots got within 1 minute of the super bowl with 3 3rd receivers or worse in bug eyes caldwell, texan reject gaffney, and the ageless troy brown

so i think the patriots know what theyre doing as youll watch him score on you again and again

10. GoPats

GoPats Veteran

Welker is a solid guy, but this is a bit baffling. It's a pretty high price tag for someone of his experience and pedigree.

I've always though Welker would be a good Patriot... especially after he subbed as the 'Phins kicker in a game a couple of years back. But $38M+ is pretty pricey. Maybe it's one of those typical back-loaded NFL deals where he'll get cut before he collects the big bucks. Such is life in today's NFL, right?