Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Patriots release cornerback Leigh Bodden

The Patriot don't generate a pass rush and are tied for 3rd to last in total sacks. Bodden might benefit playing in a defense that puts pressure on the QB

I agree with you. It seems like NE knows thier def troubles cant be fixed so the are cutting all high priced def players. To rebuild thru FA and all the extra picks they have next year. They are winning on Offense this year.

Patriots have made bad roster moves before.

Richard-SeymourRaider1.jpg

Good point. Bring him in.

How about big bodies Wilford and Haynesworth in the middle?
Are we still madly in love with big bodies that tie up a lot of money?
A whole lot more money than blockers, wouldn't you say?

I'm not directing this comment at anybody in particular.
Merely coming back to the point that BIG is only one way to go about it.
There are pluses and there are minuses.

Mayhaps better to use smaller bodies who are hungry rather than big bodies who are hungry (in a different sense), LOL!

So Belichick releases Bodden when he knows he's about to IR Ras Dowling ... ???

I smell Suck For Luck. :fingergun:

NE thought Dowling was ready for the field when they released Bodden, Could be a huge mistake secondary was already looking bad the Steelers are going to go crazy on them.

I didn't get to watch the game.... how'd Moulden do?

rothlisberger went 36/50 for 365 2 TD, 1 int. passing the ball early & often was in the gameplan & honestly, the game wasn't as close as the score indicates............ so how do you think he did?

Note to Rey, "your assuming" about what I said regarding McCourty is confirmed both by numbers/analysis by an independent party and my observations.

You can definitely trust that I don't pull things out of thin air.

That was srrono. Not me.

Mario WIlliams to Patriots for NE's own first and second round picks 2012.

This is like getting into a land war in Asia, or going against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

You don't trade with New England, you're likely to get the short end of the stick.

ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Giants CB Justin Tryon needed surgery for a broken arm. He's the seventh Giants CB to suffer serious injury since start of camp

this may be where Bodden lands

You want to trade Mario for a late first rounder and a late second rounder?
As a successful 4-3 DE last season, I was ridiculed by posters and Charlie Pallilo of radio fame for asking the same picks as being too high. CP said "maybe two seconds but he would have to think about it."

Take all emotion out of it and put yourself in another GM's shoes and offer more. You might get a higher first by a few spots but probably not get a second at all. More like a third. Pats need a 4-3 DE and have double picks in first and second.

Should not have to but will say again for new readers, I like Mario but think team could be stronger with picks he would bring. Of course a trade would depend on how Barwin and Reed continue to perform.

Having NT Alemeda Ta'Amu # 25 & OLB Courtney Upshaw # 31 in first
RG Kevin Zeitler # 57 and WR Kendall Wright #63 in second and then selecting CB Casey Hayward (11 INTs in last season and a half) in third seems sweet to me.

In addition, subtract Mario's cap hit from future allows more maneuvering for free agency.

Take all emotion out of it and put yourself in another GM's shoes and offer more. You might get a higher first by a few spots but probably not get a second at all. More like a third. Pats need a 4-3 DE and have double picks in first and second.

I'm a Mario fan as well, but just to play devil's advocate, I'm going to think I can be just as successful in the draft as you can with those picks you're asking for.

If our front 5 start to get more pressure without blitzing (if Barwin, Reed, Watt, & Antonio step it up), then I'm going to wait for you to straight up release Mario Williams.

If you franchise him, you're putting a first round price tag on him & $20 Million in his pocket. I'll call your bluff. Franchising him will do exactly what you don't want, tie up a lot of money in Mario. & hurt your self in Free Agency.

Mario getting hurt put the kabosh (imo) on any hopes of trading him for a slew of high draft picks. Two 2nds.... maybe from a desperate team.

I'm a Mario fan as well, but just to play devil's advocate, I'm going to think I can be just as successful in the draft as you can with those picks you're asking for.

If our front 5 start to get more pressure without blitzing (if Barwin, Reed, Watt, & Antonio step it up), then I'm going to wait for you to straight up release Mario Williams.

If you franchise him, you're putting a first round price tag on him & $20 Million in his pocket. I'll call your bluff. Franchising him will do exactly what you don't want, tie up a lot of money in Mario. & hurt your self in Free Agency.

Mario getting hurt put the kabosh (imo) on any hopes of trading him for a slew of high draft picks. Two 2nds.... maybe from a desperate team.

Ah but do you see the trap you are falling into? You suggest maybe 2 second but I've already got Rey saying he worth more than a one and a two but Rey may be a bit biased. Here's the thing on my side, I believe we can re-signed Mario to a reasonable deal without franchising him. This would make a trade more enticing to other teams. We don't have to trade him. The Texans hold the card against other teams in any trade. Pats need DE, a pass rushing OLB and DBs. If I were GM of NE I'd be smacking my lips in anticipation of Mario. Think he would have helped Sunday against Steelers? Mario could balk at a trade but to Pats? I don't think so.

Ah but do you see the trap you are falling into? You suggest maybe 2 second but I've already got Rey saying he worth more than a one and a two but Rey may be a bit biased. Here's the thing on my side, I believe we can re-signed Mario to a reasonable deal without franchising him. This would make a trade more enticing to other teams. We don't have to trade him. The Texans hold the card against other teams in any trade. Pats need DE, a pass rushing OLB and DBs. If I were GM of NE I'd be smacking my lips in anticipation of Mario. Think he would have helped Sunday against Steelers? Mario could balk at a trade but to Pats? I don't think so.

This is good thinking. Only problem is his agent can force us to do something we don't want to. If the Texans put a first round tender on him, we'll end up having to pay him $20 millions guaranteed or letting him go, then his agent can get him whatever deal from whatever team.

This is good thinking. Only problem is his agent can force us to do something we don't want to. If the Texans put a first round tender on him, we'll end up having to pay him $20 millions guaranteed or letting him go, then his agent can get him whatever deal from whatever team.
I Smith tags Mario it will be at OLB not DE which will drop contract and bonus significantly. I am not sure if it would be top 5 LB or if broken into OLB and ILB. Let's say it is all LBs;that avg should be apprx $6.5 million much less than DE. If it is broken into OLB it would be even significantly less. So we get his services next season tagged at say $7m. Why would his agent allow that? He'd be screaming for a long term deal. It is to Mario's advantage to not allow tag to occur and grab a deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/

I Smith tags Mario it will be at OLB not DE which will drop contract and bonus significantly. I am not sure if it would be top 5 LB or if broken into OLB and ILB. Let's say it is all LBs;that avg should be apprx $6.5 million much less than DE. If it is broken into OLB it would be even significantly less. So we get his services next season tagged at say $7m. Why would his agent allow that? He'd be screaming for a long term deal. It is to Mario's advantage to not allow tag to occur and grab a deal.

All franchise tender amounts must be a minimum of a 120% of the players prior year salary. In Mario's case, this means something north of $20 Million from everything I've read. The position they choose to tag him at will be meaningless

All franchise tender amounts must be a minimum of a 120% of the players prior year salary. In Mario's case, this means something north of $20 Million from everything I've read. The position they choose to tag him at will be meaningless

Mario's 2011 salary is $13,800,000. If going by the 120% of prior years' salary, it would cost $16,560,000

Mario's 2011 salary is $13,800,000. If going by the 120% of prior years' salary, it would cost $16,560,000

That's his base salary. The term Prior Years Salary in the CBA includes prorated signing bonus along with some other potential items (any roster bonus paid for example). I can't find anyplace saying it's exactly the same as the Cap amount, but it appears to be much closer to that than base salary. I believe Mario's 2011 Cap hit is in the ballpark of $18 Million.

EDIT: Even if it were only base salary, the highest franchise tender on the defensive side of the ball was $12.4 Million in 2011 (Defensive End). The position he was tagged at still wouldn't matter.

That's his base salary. The term Prior Years Salary in the CBA includes prorated signing bonus along with some other potential items (any roster bonus paid for example).

Pretty sure it is the based off the total sum paid within the league year and so would not include carried over signing bonus. But Mario agreed to a deal with a low signing bonus in place of other guarantees anyway.

Pretty sure it is the based off the total sum paid within the league year and so would not include carried over signing bonus. But Mario agreed to a deal with a low signing bonus in place of other guarantees anyway.

The only definition of "Prior Year Salary" I can find in the CBA is from ARTICLE 9, Section 1(b), but it states (bolding added for emphasis):

"For the purposes of this Subsection, “Prior Year Salary” means the total of the Paragraph 5 Salary, roster and reporting bonuses, pro-rata portion of signing bonus, and other payments to players in compensation for the playing of professional football for the last year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract, except for performance bonuses other than roster and reporting bonuses. Prior Year Salary shall also include any unrepaid loans made, guaranteed or collateralized by a Team or its Team Affiliate to a player or Player Affiliate."

Mario's signing bonus was $0. Each seasons' salary was fully guaranteed. Texans exercised the option for a 6th season which I believe gave him $12M and reduced his salaries during years 2-5. I believe that's why he's earning so much this season. Texans saved a bunch the previous 4. Sure is hard to tell what all he's actually taking home though.

The only definition of "Prior Year Salary" I can find in the CBA is from ARTICLE 9, Section 1(b), but it states (bolding added for emphasis):

Here is the definition from Article 10 for franchising players but it similarly says you were correct:

(e) For the purposes of this Article, “Salary” means the total of the Para-graph 5 Salary (reduced proportionately if the contract is entered into after the first regular season game), roster and reporting bonuses, pro-rata portion of signing bonus, and other payments to players in compensation for the playing of professional football for the applicable year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract, except for performance bonuses other than roster and reporting bonuses. Salary shall also in-clude any unrepaid loans made, guaranteed or collateralized by a Team or its Team Affiliate to a player or Player Affiliate. “Prior Year Salary” means the Salary (as defined 46 in this Subsection) for the last League Year of the player’s most recently negotiated Play-er Contract.

Leigh Bodden Reportedly Visits The Chiefs
by Joel Thorman

Last Friday the New England Patriots surprisingly released veteran CB Leigh Bodden which meant he went to the waiver wire, available for any NFL team to claim him (and his contract). By Monday, we found out he wasn't claimed and became a free agent.

That brings us to now. Bodden, according to Charlie Casserly of CBS, worked out for the Kansas City Chiefs this week.

I said earlier this week that I'm not sure adding Bodden made a ton of sense for KC considering the talent they have in the secondary and that Bodden may be more interested in a multi-year commitment elsewhere but I suppose you can't have enough players you like. I certainly wouldn't boo the addition of Bodden, if that's what the Chiefs decide to do.

Bodden started in the league in 2003 when he was picked up by the Cleveland Browns after going undrafted. In 2008, he was traded to the Detroit Lions and made his way to New England the following year. In 2010, he signed a multi-year contract with the Patriots.

Last edited:
Leigh Bodden Reportedly Visits The Chiefs
by Joel Thorman

Last Friday the New England Patriots surprisingly released veteran CB Leigh Bodden which meant he went to the waiver wire, available for any NFL team to claim him (and his contract). By Monday, we found out he wasn't claimed and became a free agent.

That brings us to now. Bodden, according to Charlie Casserly of CBS, worked out for the Kansas City Chiefs this week.

I said earlier this week that I'm not sure adding Bodden made a ton of sense for KC considering the talent they have in the secondary and that Bodden may be more interested in a multi-year commitment elsewhere but I suppose you can't have enough players you like. I certainly wouldn't boo the addition of Bodden, if that's what the Chiefs decide to do.

Bodden started in the league in 1993 2003 when he was picked up by the Cleveland Browns after going undrafted. In 2008, he was traded to the Detroit Lions and made his way to New England the following year. In 2010, he signed a multi-year contract with the Patriots.

If he started in 1993 wouldn't that make him around 40yrs old ?

Back