Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Ndevine7, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Ndevine7

Ndevine7 All Pro

If Peterson is available at 6 would u be willing to trade our 1st(1250) and 2nd(480) for Clevelands 1st(1600) and 4th(92)? Or our 1st(1250) 3rd(225) and 4th(84) for Cleveland's 1st(1600)? I am a huge Peterson guy and think he is the next Champ Bailey and we need to get him if we can. What are all your thoughts?

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I would be thrilled - and hate to watch those next rounds without a pick. We have many holes, but maybe those impact players are what we really need (Peterson or Von). So if they decide to move up I`d be happy. If they don`t I`d be glad - since other top talents (like Curry) don`t pan out as good as people thought they were, and I´d hate to give up major draft picks to get an ok guy.

Now is the time again to be annoyed by the last regular season win. If I´m correct we`d be picking 6th if we lost. One of those 2 players could fall in our laps at 6, or a trade up wouldn`t be half as costly...

3. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

If it only took our first and second this year to do it I could live with it.

Still want to stay put or move down. We need MOAR bodies not less.

4. Ndevine7

Ndevine7 All Pro

I know we need more bodies but not everyday do you come across someone with the talent of Peterson. Drafting Peterson would allow Jackson to be the 2nd CB(where i believe he belongs at least now) and could shut down half of the field (like Revis does and what Bailey used to do).

BigBull17 likes this.
  5. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

One big piece is more needed then more bodies. A game changer type on defense can go a long way. I'm not saying give up our whole draft, but 2 picks is worth it.

6. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Tell that to the Vikings with the Herschel Walker trade, the Saints & that Ricky Williams debacle & hell even that SD & ATL deal that netted SD LT & Drew Brees.

Look at our 2006 draft. we had 3 of those guys go on to the pro bowl. 1 of those guys was the DPOY & the other likely would've been a multi pro bowler as he was having a pro bowl-esque type season before he got hurt. The point is you stand to land more of those type of guys with more picks than you would trading away some of those mid round picks to get a guy that statistically speaking only stands a slightly better chance at becoming what everyone thinks he'll be......of course this is all dependent upon you being able to grade talent effectively.

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I don't think Cleveland will be willing to trade down. The players they covet will be available at #6 but not at #11.

I think the only way we get Peterson is trading to #2 or #5.

If they pull it off I would be thrilled with it. I'm on record saying Peterson is right now and will be the best player to come out of this draft.

Ndevine7 likes this.
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Sorry but this guy won't be the next Champ Bailey but may be the next Ed Reed. He will be a safety. I've read 3 reports now about his weight. In fact I wrote this on here earlier in the week and then saw the link below today. The guy is 219 and when he gets NFL trainers working with him I'm sure he will be in the 220s. No CB plays at that weight, no matter speed. He'll be a safety within a year or two. I also wouldn't give up too much. I'm all for big moves but with a team switching to a 3-4 they might need to concentrate on getting as many of "Wade's Guys" in as possible.

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The guy might not necessarily gain weight in the NFL. A lot of guys (admittedly not usually CBs) drop weight when they start working with the NFL strength coaches.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

He could, I'm just going on what alot of these guys are saying with his frame..that he could easily carry mid to high 220s and scouts were looking at that.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Here is the additional info I read awhile back

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6481/patrick-peterson

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I think a lot of people are falling into the trap of projecting his size only instead of projecting his skills and athletic ability.

I have never seen him in person, but from looking at him I would say that 220 is probably the max on his frame. He is only 6'0" tall. Maybe if I actually saw him in person I would think different but I can only go by what I have seen.

The guy has CB skills that translate directly to the NFL. He also has FS skills so a team could play him there. But sticking him there only because he is big seems like a mistake.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

With Rick and Gary drafting you take the sure thing. Miller/Peterson.

You wouldn't trade Texans 1/2 for Clevelands 1/4th?

If you wanted to trade the Texans 3rd and Clevelands 4th you could move back into the 2nd rd and take a pass rusher like Reed/Carter.

Rd.1 Peterson
    Rd.2 C.Carter
    Rd.4 Powe taken with Houstons pick.

Essentially you would only be trading a 3rd rd pick and swapping places with Cleveland to get Peterson. A small price to pay.IMHO

14. kiwitexansfan

Maybe we trade up to draft him, let him put on those extra pounds they are all talking about and bingo bango, we have our stud OLB.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Ronnie Lott started out at CB and moved to S. I could see the same thing with Peterson. Not saying Peterson will become Ronnie Lott.

The only knock I have against Peterson is his soph yr he had problems with cramps late in games.

I could see Dallas trading up befor the Texans though.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Never thought about that.

An OLB that runs in the mid 4.3's. = Weapon

17. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

ummm is that von miller pretty much lol

18. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I say not to give up the whole draft, and you cite two teams who gave up their whole draft...

19. kiwitexansfan

And I think they would both struggle with the size and strength of NFL OL and TEs.

At least with Peterson you would have the leagues best coverage LB.

20. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

If you told me he would be the next Ed Reed, I would draft him at 5 or 6. Yesterday.

Ndevine7 likes this.