Pat Kirwan Mock 4.0 (E. Thomas Sliding?)

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by stingray, Mar 23, 2010.

1. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

1. St. Louis Rams
    Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma
    I'm more convinced than ever that Bradford is the pick for the Rams and they may not even entertain offers to move out of the spot. Look at the quarterbacks in the NFC West; it wouldn't be long before the Rams have the best one. (Previous pick: Bradford)

2. Detroit Lions
    Ndamakong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    Suh remains in this spot for the fourth mock draft in a row, but for the first time I get a sense that it's not a lock. There are other good defensive tackles in this draft and there may be some consideration here for offensive tackle Russell Okung. (Previous pick: Suh)

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    McCoy is a fit in the 4-3 defense that the Bucs run, but again there are some other solid defensive tackles if the Bucs decide to move down or go elsewhere at this spot. Tampa Bay can't go wrong with McCoy but what would they do if Suh is on the board? (Previous pick: McCoy)

4. Washington Redskins
    Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    Jimmy Clausen was in this spot last week, but that was met with some resistance when I walked into the hotel where the owners are staying for the NFL Annual Meeting. The Redskins plug in the left tackle just like Mike Shanahan plugged in Ryan Clady at Denver. They will be pressed to get a quarterback in the second round, with no third-round selection. Is their second-round pick a landing spot for Colt McCoy? (Previous pick: Jimmy Clausen)

5. Kansas City Chiefs
    Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    With Okung having very little chance of falling to the Chiefs now, Scott Pioli will grab a very solid tackle who is NFL ready. Not a flashy pick but a building block type guy. (Previous pick: Russell Okung)

6. Seattle Seahawks
    C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    A few people feel I have Spiller too high in the draft but this guy can play right away and can handle 20 touches a game as a runner, receiver and returner. The Whitehurst trade takes them out of consideration for a first-round QB. (Previous pick: Spiller)

7. Cleveland Browns
    Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
    Cleveland locked up its first two quarterbacks with the signing of Jake Delhomme and the trade for Seneca Wallace. The Browns can grab a QB like Tony Pike or Dan LeFevour later in the draft. Berry is a plug-in starter for a team that signed a right tackle, tight end, running back and linebacker during free agency. (Previous pick: Berry)

8. Oakland Raiders
    Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    Davis gets mixed reviews from the offensive line coaches around the league. The coaches I talked with say he's a first-round selection but more on potential than readiness to play. Risky picks have never scared Al Davis before, so here they go again. (Previous pick: Bryan Bulaga)

9. Buffalo Bills
    Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    The Bills have lots of needs and quarterback is one of them. Clausen threw 28 touchdowns, with just four picks last year and has escape skills that he will need in Buffalo. Chan Gailey is excellent with quarterbacks and will get him ready fairly quickly. Lots of fans don't want to see another California (where Clausen is from) quarterback in Buffalo, where the weather is a factor. (Previous pick: Dan Williams)

10. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
    Texas' Earl Thomas has been in this slot for a few weeks, but he is dropping slightly in the minds of some, and Georgia Tech's Thomas is moving up. So for now, the Jags switch Thomases. I could see Rolando McClain as the next guy in this spot as people continue to talk about his versatility. (Previous pick: Earl Thomas)

11. Denver Broncos
    Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
    The Broncos bought a new defensive line in free agency and can now focus on the big inside linebacker to play on the strongside. McClain is a perfect fit and the inside linebacker class for the 3-4 teams is lean. (Previous pick: McClain)

12. Miami Dolphins
    Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
    Sure, the Dolphins could use a nose tackle, but they also need a special outside linebacker to rush the passer. Bill Parcells has drafted DeMarcus Ware, Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks to name a few for his 3-4 defense. Hard to resist a guy that made a combined 50 sacks and tackles for loss throughout his college career. (Previous pick: Kindle)

13. San Francisco 49ers
    Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    Williams was the pick last week but with Scot McCloughan no longer the general manager in San Francisco and Mike Singletary having more influence on the draft, the Niners' draft philosophy could change. They need a right tackle and he's the best one left on the board. (Previous pick: Williams)

14. Seattle Seahawks
    Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    The Seahawks may take a defensive end with the No. 6 pick, but if they stay in this order, Morgan makes sense for a team that just traded away Darryl Tapp and isn't sure if Patrick Kerney is coming back. Morgan had 12.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for a loss last year in 14 games. (Previous pick: Demaryius Thomas)

15. New York Giants
    Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
    Some think I have Weatherspoon too high, but I had one coach tell me on Sunday he's not high enough. We'll see what the truth is in a month. For now, after watching his game tapes and practices, I will tell you that this versatile athlete can play any of the linebacker spots -- and the Giants have multiple openings. A 239-pound guy that is very smart, runs a 4.6 40, had over 400 tackles in his college career and squats 770. (Previous pick: Weatherspoon)

16. Tennessee Titans
    Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
    The Seahawks' trade of Tapp could force Seattle to take a defensive end, and that should affect the Titans two picks later. Pierre-Paul is rich on potential and physical attributes but raw on experience and production. The Titans have a great defensive line coach and he will get the most out of Pierre-Paul, who will be asked to replace Kyle Vanden Bosch. (Previous pick: Derrick Morgan)

17. San Francisco 49ers
    Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    The Niners saw the improved speed at Haden's pro day and they need a corner. One astute personnel director said, "I love Joe, but he was mostly a boundary corner in college and I'd be careful." (Previous pick: Haden)

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    The Steelers have other needs, but they need a corner now. They lost Bryant McFadden last year in free agency and their other corners are either old or inconsistent. The Ravens and the Bengals are both bolstering their receivers, meaning the Steelers need to improve at corner. (Previous pick: Wilson)

19. Atlanta Falcons
    Brandon Graham, OLB/DE, Michigan
    The signing of Dunta Robinson took care of the cornerback situation and now the Falcons turn their interest to the rest of the defense. There are solid defensive tackles on the board like Dan Williams and Brian Price, but Graham gives them a hybrid OLB/DE to rush the passer and eventually replace John Abraham. Graham made 85 plays behind the line of scrimmage in college. (Previous pick: Graham)

20. Houston Texans
    Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
    It wouldn't surprise me if the Texans take a corner here, but Williams could slide to them. Taking Williams would solidify their defensive line, which will make any secondary look better. (Previous pick: Brian Price)

21. Cincinnati Bengals
    Taylor Mays, S, USC
    The Bengals may have Earl Thomas and Carlos Dunlap on the board to choose from, and some would say Mays should be lower in the draft. The truth is the Bengals will get better on defense at this spot no matter what they do. Mays will impress the coaches with his knowledge of the game, and his dedication is unquestioned. (Previous pick: Jason Pierre-Paul)

22. New England Patriots
    Jared Odrick, DT/DE, Penn State
    Odrick solves a glaring need on the defensive line with the loss of Richard Seymour and Jarvis Green. Odrick is versatile and can line up at end or tackle. (Previous pick: Odrick)

23. Green Bay Packers
    Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida
    Pouncey is a Day 1 starter at guard or center. Two line coaches confirmed what I saw on tape about his first-round grade, even though few guards or centers go in the opening round. (Previous pick: Mike Iupati)

24. Philadelphia Eagles
    Mike Iupati, G/T, Idaho
    Iupati is a Day 1 starter at guard and a potential answer at tackle down the road. The Eagles are building a very young offense right now and Iupati is a 10-year answer on the line -- especially after the release of Shawn Andrews. (Previous pick: Everson Griffen)

25. Baltimore Ravens
    Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
    He has some maturity issues, but the Ray Lewis influence will take care of that if he wants to get on the field in Baltimore. The facts are the Ravens lost starting defensive ends Dwan Edwards and Justin Bannan in free agency, Trevor Pryce is long in the tooth and this 6-foot-6, 277-pound guy that ran 4.61 at his pro day fits a need. (Previous pick: Patrick Robinson)

26. Arizona Cardinals
    Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    Price looks like a great fit in a 4-3 defense and the Cardinals play a 3-4 defense, but he can still be a disruptive nose tackle. Bryan Robinson is still unsigned and the team just gave significant money to OLB Joey Porter, otherwise I might have Ricky Sapp in this spot. I would really like to see them take a tight end like Jermaine Gresham if he were available. (Previous pick: Charles Brown)

27. Dallas Cowboys
    Earl Thomas, DB, Texas
    This is a big slide for Thomas, whom I had going at No. 10 to Jacksonville last week. He may go higher than this spot, but if he's here, he solves a problem in the Dallas secondary. Thomas is a fine player (but not without his critics here at the owners meetings). (Previous pick: Nate Allen)

28. San Diego Chargers
    Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
    I talked with Mathews this week and he told me he wore No. 21 in college because he idolized LaDainian Tomlinson growing up in California. He winds up in this spot every week and as long as a team like Houston doesn't take him earlier, he would be a solid fit for the Chargers. He had 1,808 rushing yards as a senior. (Previous pick: Mathews)

29. New York Jets
    Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    He's too good to pass up this late in the first round. He pairs up with Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery to give Sanchez lots of targets. Head coach Rex Ryan can handle whatever personality quirks come with Bryant. (Previous pick: Bryant)

30. Minnesota Vikings
    Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
    The Vikings re-signed Jimmy Kennedy for depth at defensive tackle and there have been five drafted already, so they head to their biggest need, a corner. They could look at Robinson or Devin McCourty from Rutgers and not go wrong. (Previous pick: Taylor Mays)

31. Indianapolis Colts
    Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    Center Maurkice Pouncey has been in this spot for three weeks but other teams ahead of the Colts value him now, according to the line coaches. Corner is a need and McCourty has been rising up draft boards. (Previous pick: Maurkice Pouncey)

32. New Orleans Saints
    Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    Gone is Charles Grant after being released. Carlos Dunlap was in this spot last week, but he is moving up draft boards. Griffen is a solid choice at the end of the round. (Previous pick: Carlos Dunlap)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81714d0c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

not the end all be all but did help sort out our top pick @ this time in the draft process, stay posted :ahhaha:

3. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, and Mathews all available at #20. Wow! That's going to be a tough choice for the Texans if it pans out that way. I wonder who they would value more come draft day?

4. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

You have to admit...A great pass rush will make a good 'corner' look great..To beat the Colts, Peyton must be horizontal...:evil:

5. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

On draft day I doubt that Dan Williams falls to us, but if he does he's a great pick. For those that don't like using a 1st round pick on a DT, remember that Williams isn't the Combine workout wonder that Travis Johnson was and isn't the 19 yo. grossly overrated UT that Okoye was on draft day. Williams is a senior and he's had good production in college and played very well under Kiffins teachings in a pro style defense. He may need a year of seasoning in the NFL but I expect him to be average/good his first year and by year 3 he should be great at clogging the middle, taking on 2 blockers, stopping the run in the middle, and collapsing the pocket occasionally.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Maybe Shanny was not whistling in the wind when he said he could win with his vet QB.
    Al Davis will not use a high 1st on an OT. Remember I called the WR last draft while others hooted at me.

Jags draft a WR for Tebow to throw to.
    Denver should have draft Orakpo last year. Too bad.

Texans: "San Diego? We just drafted Mathews. What will you give us for him?"

7. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

The only problem is Big Dan is not the kind of DT the Texans have seemed to indicate they are looking for. They have indicated that they want athletic DTs that push up the middle and cause havoc. They have not indicated they are looking for a NT to clog the hole. Big Dan is a NT that clogs the middle and is not the type to shoot the gaps and get into the backfield. Unless they change their mindset/stance I do not see us drafting Big Dan.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Maybe it's just me but the thought of PierrePaul going to the Titans freaks me out

9. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

TJ wasn't a Kubiak pick, & they only took Okoye b/c he was projected to be what Gerald McCoy is supposed to be. & to be honest, who's to say Okoye still can't be that with a run-stuffing pig next to him, lord knows he's young enough to where this is still a possibility. The only other guy is Okam, who is a kubiak guy & a load in the middle.

To be honest, i don't think they care what type of DT they get as long as he's disruptive in some form; i.e. disruptive to the run game by stuffing it or disruptive to the pass game as a pass rusher.

he's plays a little too high for my tastes, but solid pick nonetheless imo if this comes to be true.

10. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

My understanding is they want a DT that can shoot the gaps and cause havoc in the backfield as opposed to a NT who basically clogs the middle. While Okoye has shown some ability to rush, that does not seem to be a strength at this time. I think they want a 300lb or so DT that pushes the LOS backwards and prevents the QB from stepping up and out of the way from Mario and Barwin.

And Dan Williams is not that guy.

11. Blake

Blake MMQB

Bob McNair does knows that we will eventually run out of spots for first round picks to play on the Dline right?

Maybe he is planning on reinventing a 6 man D line. 4 DT's, 2 DE's, 2 linebackers, 2 corners and 1 safety. lol

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Bob McNair isn't making the picks.

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I don't the Jags passing on Dez Bryant in favor of D. Thomas, and I think Dan Williams will be taken before #20. The Dolphins taking Kindle doesn't sound right to me, but most other mocks have them taking Williams, so eh... Other than that, I think this is a pretty good mock draft.

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Nobody in their right mind would take D. Thomas with Bryant still on the board.

I could see Williams falling a little bit because of his past history of lazy play.

The Dolphins need an outside pass rusher bad. Really bad. Kindle could be the pick.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think that Benn goes before D. Thomas...

and the phins also need a NT real bad, Williams may be the guy.

16. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

If they want a DT that can "shoot the gap" then what are they going to do with Okoye, because that is the position he plays and I can't see them letting him sit on the bench with all that money tied up in him. My guess is they let him work with Kollar another year to see if he can improve. If not, then they start looking elsewhere.

The 2nd statement that I highlighted seems very unlikely to me. A 300lb DT is not likely to push the LOS very far when he is pushing someone who weighs the same or more. That's why the 300lb DT's are more likely to be gap shooters and the bigger NT's are more likely to be the ones collapsing the pocket and pushing the LOS backwards. JMHO!

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the two honestly. Bryant will surely be taken before Thomas just b/c of potential & measurables but i think thomas will turn out to be a great pro b/c as of now he's a better route runner & has better hands than bryant imo.

18. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Thomas & Williams both on our Board ? No way !
    NFL teams are in a mad sprint to beat each other in converting to the 3-4,
    and a natural NT like Williams is just too important to all of those teams looking for a player-maker at that spot. And everything I read about Thomas (except this mock), has him also moving up not back.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Personally, for me, if this was my defense, and whatever other qualifiers you can put on this, I'd want a big 350+ hoss in the middle to act as a blocker magnet and keep the guards off of Demeco and to open the field up so that Amobi can show us that ability to penetrate he's supposed to have. I want an Okam who actually lives up to his potential. I hoped, when they drafted Okam, that they were moving in that direction and that they'd make a move to get a guy like that. But him and Deljuan haven't really brought that element to the game and we're left undersized at the NT spot. IMO.

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

This is what I'm talking about. IMO....it's just like RBs - you can get one in a later round that will have the same impact to a team. Honestly man, you can see the DTs that were studs went to teams in the first round from 04-09that were already filled with defensive studs on their team - Vince Wilfork (Patriots) Tommy Harris (Bears) Hiloti Ngata (Ravens). Those teams, except for The Ravens were picking low because they were already in the playoffs.

I say go DB, be it Thomas or Wilson because they will make an impact. You only go RB if those two are gone and even then you start to heavily consider if one of the top 5 guards are available especially if Pitts doesn't come back.